Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Diamondhead , Mississippi
Wireless Backup Cameras

Can you recommend a wireless backup camera for my Airstream?

Russ63
RBeard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
We had the Voyager system installed on ours by the dealer before we picked it up. We did a review on our youtube channel -

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If you have an iPhone, this one works for me.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
We had the Voyager system installed on ours by the dealer before we picked it up. We did a review on our youtube channel -
Is that the 7" monitor? Can you see over the monitor OK while driving.
Did you have the camera wired into the center clearance light? Can you see traffic while towing?

If the camera was mounted higher, closer to the clearance light could you see the traffic while towing and still use it to see backing into a campsite?

Kelvin
Old 06-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I purchased a WiFi Video transmitter and a back up camera from Ebay and used my iPhone 4. It gives a good signal with a slight lag. Best part is the wifi video transmitter Waterproof Wireless P2P 30fps Realtime Video WiFi Transmitter for iPhone Andriod | eBay was $43.00 with free ship and the camera was another $25.00. You will need an app which is free and listed on the wifi video transmitter instruction for both Android and Apple in order to view the camera. I will try to come back and post some pictures. Installation was about 30 to 45 minutes.
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Kevin

Is that the 7" monitor? Can you see over the monitor OK while driving. Yes 7" easy to see in bright sunlight, bit to bright at night.
Did you have the camera wired into the center clearance light? Yes, about 8-9" below the light, hole for power grommet slightly above the mount, remove the clearance light and fish the connecting wire up and splice in. Run TV lights while towing.

Can you see traffic while towing? Yes very easily if properly tilted so that you can just about see the back bumper on the bottom. Makes it easy to know when you have passed someone.

If the camera was mounted higher, closer to the clearance light could you see the traffic while towing and still use it to see backing into a campsite? To high and you won't see past the curve of the shell. 8-9" is the sweet spot. On my 25 without full awnings I could see the corners of the bumper and slightly above the horizon line to the top.

Nice thing about the Voyager is the wide angle view. Not much out there with the angle of view.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Is that the 7" monitor? Can you see over the monitor OK while driving.
Did you have the camera wired into the center clearance light? Can you see traffic while towing?

If the camera was mounted higher, closer to the clearance light could you see the traffic while towing and still use it to see backing into a campsite?

Kelvin
I am 6'3" tall so I do not have any issue seeing over the monitor. The camera is wired into the light so you have to have the lights on while driving down the road - which I normally do while towing anything. One of the best things about the camera (which was not a planned solution) is that you can easily see the vehicles in the left and right lanes while you are moving. The view I have shows about 10 feet behind to the left and right so as you are overtaking another vehicle you can tell when you are clear very easily. Normally you cannot see right behind you because most people do not drive that close.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote