Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Wireless backup camera inside?

Has anyone installed a wireless backup camera looking through the rear window? I'll have a window with a cabinet over it and a reading light in the cabinet.
Rather than drill holes in the skin, I thought about mounting the camera under the cabinet looking back and getting power from the reading light instead of the clearance lights.
The RF would have to get through the AS, but it's line of sight through the front window. (or am I being optimistic?)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
It works on our rig. The problem is some momentary disruption of signal, but not a significant quantity. The biggest issues are moisture on the window in the morning and glare at night. Works better than none, but plan is to replace with external. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Any suggestions for a brand of backup camera for the trailer? I had a Tadi bros. on my last trailer and had mixed success. A perfect situation would be to use my factory backup screen for the trailer camera.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Beachville , Ontario
Back up camera

We bought a Voyageur camera prior to our recent trip from Ontario to Southern California. It is wireless and mounted outside trailer near top running lights. It works great. Being able to observe vehicle behind us as we drove was like getting our rear view mirror back. Vital for changing lanes. Only misty when raining but cleared up quickly. I give it a 10 out of 10.
Kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I mounted a standard WiFi webcam just as you discuss in my 2001 Safari 25. It ran from 12V and there was a cigarette lighter socket near the center of the back wall. I put a router in the trailer and logged the camera into that, again running from a nearby 12V outlet. I log into that with an iPad or iPhone in the TV cab. I did the same thing in our Classic 30, mounting the camera to the lower part of the window frame. The only problem is finding a viewer app that can reverse the picture right to left and/or upside down. I also have dropouts, but I'm pretty sure it is the processing in the app that is hanging up, not a signal level problem. If I log into the camera direct I get good, smooth full motion video. Using the app I only get 2-3 frames per second and occasional hangups.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I have a Garmin RV 760LMT GPS with remote backup camera and mounted the camera inside.

Removed the rear window screen to get the camera as close to the glass as possible . Reception was flaky so I purchased an accessory Garmin extension wire so the camera radio can be placed in the front of the trailer. No more reception problems.

As mentioned earlier, can have problems with the window fogging and glare at night.

Note, this is not a solution for someone who wants a dedicated, always on camera.

Also, the fisheye lens in the camera distorts depth perception, which is common to most backup cameras

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Our company, RV Rearview Camera Systems, sells a wireless camera system that addresses all the concerns expressed here as well as includes instructions regarding how to install the camera inside if desired. Check it out.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
I have a related question on an inside mounted back-up cam & the window glare, which may also help the OP & others reading it with the glass glare issue..

Are there any recommended anti-glare films that will cut down or preferably completely eliminate the reflections & glare off of the glass when the camera is aimed at an angle to sloping glass?

Background is that we're original owners of our 1988 VW Westfalia camper van on which we've recently done full windows out repaint, & I REALLY do not want to screw anything on the back of the body nor fiberglass pop-top, but want a camera which can be above & look over our bike rack/bikes when backing the van (Yakima 2" hitch mount "SwingDaddy" bike rack).

The guy at the local stereo shop thinks I won't be able to see anything due to the glare off the forward sloping back hatch window (more of an angle than on the AS rear glass), where I want to mount it inside.

So I'm hoping to add some anti-glare film & mount it inside the hatch next to the aftermarket 3rd brake light attached to the glass (wires can follow the light's & then up to the dash behind the cabinetry on the drivers side.

See pix below for rear hatch/window/3rd brake light & side view for angle.

TIA for any advice,
Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0606151405b.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	876.9 KB
ID:	281397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2790.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	281398  

1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Has anyone installed a wireless backup camera looking through the rear window? I'll have a window with a cabinet over it and a reading light in the cabinet.
Rather than drill holes in the skin, I thought about mounting the camera under the cabinet looking back and getting power from the reading light instead of the clearance lights.
The RF would have to get through the AS, but it's line of sight through the front window. (or am I being optimistic?)
Perhaps this is an alternative....
https://pearlauto.com/rearvision
RedBird64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
The Coastal Campers

2004 25' Classic
Clermont , Florida
Hi do you have a picture of your backup camera we are going to install yours this weekend!
a little nervous..
Thanks.Mary
Marylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Ontario
We live in Dundas ON. I recently bought a25Flying Cloud and would like to set it up for a back up camera. Could you tell me the specific code or name for your Voyageur and where you bought it. Did you install or have someone install
Thanks
drobbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #12
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBird64 View Post
FYI All - these license plate frame cameras & license light/camera will be blocked by any bike or cargo rack used on either an AS/trailer or in my case on the Westy.

So a thru the window inside mounted camera on the AS gets you above your Fiamma AS specific Bike Rack which the AS dealers/etc. sell, & also I'd think giving one a better & wider viewpoint when backing into your camp spot or driveway, being a few feet higher (at about a person's standing eye level).

PS - I forgot to mention in my prior post above that I'd also like to mount an inside wireless camera on my vintage kin Avion T20 as well, but I do have the bug screen issue, as well as the rear bike rack blocking issue - so this topic is doubly of interest to me!

I'm presuming that I'd need the anti-glare film for the Avion as well.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Nebo , North Carolina
Inside backup camera.

I put my wireless camera in the back rear window inside my Flying Cloud 25ft FB.
I ran the battery wire into the cabinet corner behind the radio. There is space between the wall and the cabinet to push the wire up into the cabinet. Then accessed it thru the electrical plug. Drilled one hole to get the camera connected to the battery.
With the curtain closed and the cabinet closed you can't see it at all.
Works great. Made by Tadi Brothers.
Lkjdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I mounted a standard WiFi webcam just as you discuss in my 2001 Safari 25. It ran from 12V and there was a cigarette lighter socket near the center of the back wall. I put a router in the trailer and logged the camera into that, again running from a nearby 12V outlet. I log into that with an iPad or iPhone in the TV cab. I did the same thing in our Classic 30, mounting the camera to the lower part of the window frame. The only problem is finding a viewer app that can reverse the picture right to left and/or upside down. I also have dropouts, but I'm pretty sure it is the processing in the app that is hanging up, not a signal level problem. If I log into the camera direct I get good, smooth full motion video. Using the app I only get 2-3 frames per second and occasional hangups.

Al
How did you get the camera and router to run off of 12v? Sounds like a great idea as I have an extra router sitting around, but it uses a 120v plug for power. I assume you can plug the camera into the router?? or else how do you get it to run on 12v?
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Your Westy is very nice. Try using a temporay mount of some sort. You can see if your idea works before you make the installation permanent.

Cheers, John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdfred View Post
How did you get the camera and router to run off of 12v? Sounds like a great idea as I have an extra router sitting around, but it uses a 120v plug for power. I assume you can plug the camera into the router?? or else how do you get it to run on 12v?
I guess I was lucky. Both the camera and the router ran off of "wall wart" power supplies. The voltage to the camera and the router was 12V. I just made power cords with plugs to match the camera and router with cigarette lighter plugs. The camera had an Ethernet connection and WiFi. After first setting it up on the Ethernet cable, I used WiFi from the camera to the router and from the iPad to the router.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBird64 View Post
From the FAQ: Will this work with my RV?
Quote:
RearVision is designed to work on all standard passenger vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs and minivans) made in the US after 1996 -- the year OBD-II ports became standard. The Car Adapter connects wirelessly to the Camera Frame using Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, which puts limitations on the size of the vehicle…
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
I Ball Hitch Cam

I recently purchased an I Ball Hitch camera. The color screen plugs into a 12 volt lighter outlet and the wireless camera has a magnetic base so I can move it from my truck bumper to my trailer bumper depending on the configuration. All for less than $200. Here is a link to their site: https://www.iballhitchcam.com/?CAWELAID=120132530000000391&CAPCID=120419486369&c adevice=m&gclid=CNLsvObU1NICFVW2wAodQn8IaQ
OkiePaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
Our company, RV Rearview Camera Systems, sells a wireless camera system that addresses all the concerns expressed here as well as includes instructions regarding how to install the camera inside if desired. Check it out.
I've used this system for three years now with no complaints.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #20
Camano Islander

2007 19' Bambi
1965 17' Caravel
Camano Island , WA
Hi, I realize this is an old thread but, here goes. Does anyone have any comment about mounting a wireless camera on top of the AS? I'm terrified to drill but the license plate cam is terrible. Both units from Tadi Brothers.
CamanoIsland is offline   Reply With Quote