Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post
Arcticfox,

I mounted my rear view camera inside my back window in order to avoid putting any holes in the aluminum skin. I'm very happy with it.

Things to note, night vision is less clear than day vision. I don't know how much of this normal and how much is from glare on the window. I still can see behind me, it's just not as clear and I feel I lose some of the wide vision viewing. Generally, I try to avoid a lot of night driving and I can live with this.

I ran my power down the side of the window, into my cargo below, where I drilled a hole to get the cable underneath the trailer. From there, I ran it to the front and attached to the battery. My system is semi-wireless, and my transmitter is also at the front of the trailer not the propane tank.

Lynn

Thanks very much Lynn for your articulation here. Great to know it is actually possible!

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As part of my search criteria for the Dodge truck, it had to have the tailgate mounted factory backup camera. I put a 1" wide piece of white tape on the ProPride stinger and a white square in the center on top of the receiver opening of the ProPride hitch. That takes care of the horizontal alignment issues. I still get out when a few inches away to verify the vertical alignment.

I had purchased the Voyager backup camera system during my first Airstream factory visit in October of 2012. I never got around to installing it on the 2013 25FB International Serenity before we ordered the Classic in May of 2013.

We took the power leads into the rear roof locker above the street side twin bed and tied into the 12Vdc of the overhead reading light.

There are no image stability issues when underway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3679.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	211747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3680.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	211748  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Arcticfox,

I mounted my rear view camera inside my back window in order to avoid putting any holes in the aluminum skin. I'm very happy with it.

Things to note, night vision is less clear than day vision. I don't know how much of this normal and how much is from glare on the window. I still can see behind me, it's just not as clear and I feel I lose some of the wide vision viewing. Generally, I try to avoid a lot of night driving and I can live with this.

I ran my power down the side of the window, into my cargo below, where I drilled a hole to get the cable underneath the trailer. From there, I ran it to the front and attached to the battery. My system is semi-wireless, and my transmitter is also at the front of the trailer not the propane tank.

Lynn
Lynn
I saw your video in you tube, very helpful. I just might go that option until I can find someone I trust to install on outside.
SchuHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Power Line Vision System for 2008 Airstream

It appears around 2008 Airstream was working on the development of a backup camera system for its trailers. On page G-5 of my 2008 Safari owner's manual there is a section that reads: "Your trailer has a 2-pin power connector pre-wired into the running light 12-volt system for the installation of a Power Line Vision System made by Power Linx. For more information on this system contact Power Linx at their website."

This must have been a venture that went no where. I have been unable to get anyone at Airstream or Power Linx to tell me about this system. It may be if I can find the reference power connector I can use it to power another camera like the Voyager.

Does anyone know anything about this feature?
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
SchuHouse,

Glad you found the video! I couldn't remember if I ever got around to posting it!

If I were doing it again, I would put the camera in the same place, but I wouldn't do a wireless system again. As others have mentioned, there are things that cause interference with the monitor.

I'm actually planning a bit if a redo of my system, which is really similar to what m.hony did.

I'm planning on setting up a 4 camera system on my entire rig. On the Tundra I'll have 3 cameras - one on each front corner and one in the tailgate handle. These are placed to help me avoid hitting things wile parking The Beast.

My 4th camera is the one on the AS.

Right now I'm making my final decision on my monitor. A stand alone monitor will be easier to install, run wires, and allow me to watch multiple cameras at one via a split screen. The downfall is that I would have to figure out where to mount it in the truck.

My other option is to swap my stereo with a head unit with something like the Panasonic 5000-something that has a screen on it. The wiring would be trickier, and I could only see one camera at a time, but the install would be clean, with no extra monitor retrofitted in the truck.

Once I decide and do the install, I'll make another video.

Lynn
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I went with the "other option" and ran all video sources to my 7" touch screen Alpine. I wanted a seamless, factory stock looking camera/monitor.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
SchuHouse,

Glad you found the video! I couldn't remember if I ever got around to posting it!

If I were doing it again, I would put the camera in the same place, but I wouldn't do a wireless system again.

Lynn
Hi Lynn - I went to look for your video, but could not find it. Could you post a link

TKS
Doug
Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Here you go Doug!
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
M.hony - I noticed that. just when I had made my decision I saw your post and started leaning back towards the new stereo route.
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks very much for the video Lynn - Well done!

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
SchuHouse,

If I were doing it again, I would put the camera in the same place, but I wouldn't do a wireless system again. As others have mentioned, there are things that cause interference with the monitor.

I'm actually planning a bit if a redo of my system, which is really similar to what m.hony did.

I'm planning on setting up a 4 camera system on my entire rig. On the Tundra I'll have 3 cameras - one on each front corner and one in the tailgate handle. These are placed to help me avoid hitting things wile parking The Beast.

My 4th camera is the one on the AS.

Right now I'm making my final decision on my monitor. A stand alone monitor will be easier to install, run wires, and allow me to watch multiple cameras at one via a split screen. The downfall is that I would have to figure out where to mount it in the truck.

My other option is to swap my stereo with a head unit with something like the Panasonic 5000-something that has a screen on it. The wiring would be trickier, and I could only see one camera at a time, but the install would be clean, with no extra monitor retrofitted in the truck.

Once I decide and do the install, I'll make another video.

Lynn
Well Lynn I went wireless. Supposedly the voyager digital is the best out there, I'll let everyone know my results once installed. Good luck with the new set up, let us all know how it goes.
Rick
Old 05-13-2014, 05:41 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
M.hony - I noticed that. just when I had made my decision I saw your post and started leaning back towards the new stereo route.

The new stereo started in 2010 to get better sound quality. I started by replacing the subwoofer and added an amp, thinking I would wait a year or 2 before further upgrades. That didn't last a week! One week later I got new component speakers and crossovers on all 4 doors, another amp, and the touch screen navigation/CD/DVD/navigation/SiriusXM/iPod head unit with an adapter to make the steering wheel controls work. In 2011 I added an equalizer/signal processor. In 2013 I added a reverse camera. In 2014 I added a rear view camera to the trailer. I am pretty much maxed out with this system and will leave well enough alone. To get a new 8" touch screen with all the bells and whistles is 1,700! And all because they discontinued the bluetooth module for my unit almost as soon as they made it- they came out with a bluetooth model almost immediately after I bought mine- planned obsolescence-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-21-2014, 03:25 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Food II View Post
Last week I installed a Garmin RV760 GPS with wireless backup camera which I mounted on my TV. I then had a Voyager wireless camera mounted on rear of my Intl 27 which also connects to the Garmin 7" monitor. All works great. It was wonderful being able to check behind my trailer for cars when changing lanes. 7" screen is a major benefit and the GPS has all kinds of neat and useful functionality plus lifetime map updates. Clarity on garmin camera is adequate, and is very good on the Voyager.

Total cost a little over $1,000, no sales tax or shipping from Crutchfield and RVcams.com. Pricy but worth it for safety and help on backing into sites.
Soul food III,
I ordered this combination. While I haven't installed camera yet I did try out Garmin rv760 this weekend. I really liked the interface especially lane assistance. What I didn't like is twice it took me to backside of two different camp grounds completely missing the entrances. Have you had similar experience or was this a fluke? Btw. I ran on stars turn by turn directions on at same time and it found the entrances with no problem.
Rick
Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting report Rick - Thanks for making the comments....

I will be looking forward to hear how you make out once the camera is installed etc. This is a combination I'm very interested in, but will wait till I hear some user reports to actually pull the trigger.....

As a side note did you notice if it has the ability to have an altimeter function? This is something that I'm interested in having and it could be a deal breaker if this unit does not have that function.

Thanks

Doug
Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Still very happy with our Voyager.

Had to park the trailer in a tight spot at a service facility to be out of the way while the truck was rewired for the DirecLInk brake controller. Backing the rig out was much easier with the combination of the Voyager, truck rear camera and mirrors.

I have had no image issues with the wireless setup.

Actually the programming is better on that Voyager screen than Dish Network!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post

I will be looking forward to hear how you make out once the camera is installed etc. This is a combination I'm very interested in, but will wait till I hear some user reports to actually pull the trigger.....

As a side note did you notice if it has the ability to have an altimeter function? This is something that I'm interested in having and it could be a deal breaker if this unit does not have that function.

Thanks

Doug
Doug I will try and look this weekend.
I talked with RVCams yesterday, the RCA jack they supplied doesn't fit, I need an adapter to garmin, it's input is a mini jack. When talking with them I asked about exchanging for a complete kit if I don't keep the Garmin. I found out they have a special pricing on the 7" voyager that is very attractive, making me reconsider this setup.
Rick
Old 05-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuHouse View Post
Doug I will try and look this weekend.
I talked with RVCams yesterday, the RCA jack they supplied doesn't fit, I need an adapter to garmin, it's input is a mini jack. When talking with them I asked about exchanging for a complete kit if I don't keep the Garmin. I found out they have a special pricing on the 7" voyager that is very attractive, making me reconsider this setup.
Rick
Hi Rick - I looked on RVCam's site but could only find the 5.6" package. Do you remember what they are asking for the 7" package? I see Camping World also has the 5.6 package on sale for 676.00

TKS
Doug
Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuHouse View Post
Soul food III,

I ordered this combination. While I haven't installed camera yet I did try out Garmin rv760 this weekend. I really liked the interface especially lane assistance. What I didn't like is twice it took me to backside of two different camp grounds completely missing the entrances. Have you had similar experience or was this a fluke? Btw. I ran on stars turn by turn directions on at same time and it found the entrances with no problem.

Rick

So far no problem with routing on Garmin, but am sure will run into issues. Did you update maps on line? Good test this summer on trip from Atlanta to Newfoundland.
Soul Food II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post

Thanks

Doug

No altimeter that I can find. However I do have an app on my ipad that provides altitude. Likely available for droids and Iphone also.
Soul Food II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My wireless camera works sometimes. Sometimes it does not. I have a theory that the location of the transmitter may have something to do with this. The transmitter is behind the headboard. I threw some pillows off the bed. Maybe the pillows piled high were blocking the signal. I will know tomorrow if the placement of the pillows had anything to do with it.
I think the Voyager does a better job because it is mounted up high with less stuff/things blocking the signal. The signal needs a straight, uninterrupted path from the transmitter at the back of the trailer to the receiver in the truck.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955