Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Brian,

I tried one from TST, but ended up sending it back because of lost signal and interference from the 34' of trailer. There are a couple of installs which used a booster to get the image to the TV cab, but haven't seen one that sends a clean signal for a reasonable price, Airstream is marketing one in the parts store for about $800. That is the only one I know of that works.

A chum of mine with a non-AS travel trailer bought a backup camera - not sure which make - wanting to use it at the back of his trailer but found that the signal wouldn't reach.

What he told me he did was to open up the camera, then run coax cable from the antenna connection in the camera underneath the trailer up to the front of the trailer and then put a short antenna wire at that location to transmit that shorter distance to the monitor in his tow vehicle.

I never saw it but he said it worked fine.

Brian.

(PS - for $800, I think I'll just use my truck mirrors to see what's in back of my on the road, and my "Mrs" with hand signals and maybe a GMRS radio at times to back me into campsites!)

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I use an I-Ball wireless camera ...BTW: if your tow vehicle has Bluetooth like my new Silverado, the image on the I-Ball and on some other wireless cameras will break up since they also use Bluetooth. Without my phone, my I-Ball is totally unusable with the image constantly rolling. With the phone connected, there is just an occasional blip as the Bluetooth polls the camera. I can live with the I-Ball as long as my phone is with me and turned on.
I received an I-Ball for christmas and it also suffers from the bluetooth scramble. I tow with a '06 Ram and never use the Bluetooth so I unplugged the module. Chrystal clear view now...

If I ever want to use my hands free, its easy to click the plug back in the module - its behind the glove box and can be reached by laying on the floor.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
purchased a baby video monitor from Costco...$99.00 (or direct from Uniden [url=http://www.uniden.com/baby-monitors/uniden-digital-wireless-baby-monitor/invt/ubw2101g]Baby Monitors .

It consists of two units, both with rechargeable batteries. The camera is quite small and I mount it between the glass and screen at the rear of the trailer with Velcro. The monitor has a 3 1/2 in colour screen that I place on the steering column with Velcro (depending on vehicle, this may have to placed in a different location)

Reception is flawless...even from the back of trailer. The only issue is the image is reversed..left to right...but once you get used to it it is great. Also you are looking through the tinted glass so the image is a bit dark, but not so much as to be a problem Recharge at the end of day. It is great to drive with as you can see the tailgaters that you cannot see in the mirror and for pulling in if passing (not that that happens much!!)
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Atlanta , Georgia
Last week I installed a Garmin RV760 GPS with wireless backup camera which I mounted on my TV. I then had a Voyager wireless camera mounted on rear of my Intl 27 which also connects to the Garmin 7" monitor. All works great. It was wonderful being able to check behind my trailer for cars when changing lanes. 7" screen is a major benefit and the GPS has all kinds of neat and useful functionality plus lifetime map updates. Clarity on garmin camera is adequate, and is very good on the Voyager.

Total cost a little over $1,000, no sales tax or shipping from Crutchfield and RVcams.com. Pricy but worth it for safety and help on backing into sites.
Soul Food II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
I would like the camera to be mounted on the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Do you want to mount the camera on the back of the tow vehicle, as an aid to lining up to hitch up the trailer, or to mount on the back of the trailer as an aid to backing into a campsite or parking space and to see behind the trailer in traffic? You're likely to get different recommendations depending on which application you intend.
I have a backup camera on my tow vehicle. I would like to have one on the back of my trailer. Both for backing in campsites and for viewing traffic behind me while traveling down the road. Any suggestions?
dfgarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgarvin View Post
I have a backup camera on my tow vehicle. I would like to have one on the back of my trailer. Both for backing in campsites and for viewing traffic behind me while traveling down the road. Any suggestions?
If you mean a suggestion about make or model, not really. I asked the question mainly so that other respondents would know not to waste your time by discussing the wrong camera application.

I would suggest that you avoid wireless cameras, if possible. Running a wire the length of your trailer, and connecting it to your tow vehicle by putting a plug alongside your umbilical connectors, and cable-tying the camera wire to the umbilical cable will give you a more reliable signal. That way, you don't have to worry about the metal trailer blocking the camera's signal.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Atlanta , Georgia
As in my post above, the voyager wireless camera works great, although expensive. This is the camera the factory uses and no interference from my tin can.
Soul Food II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Looks like the Garmin RV760 can be bought on Amazon for $400 and the wireless cam for $150. Easy to install, read my earlier post in this thread.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Watkinsville , Georgia
I got my wireless back up camera system with screen from tadibrothers.com. I have only installed one side camera so far but I have been satisfied so far. I will let you know more when I finish installing the rest.
KenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I actually don't recommend a wireless. Five years ago I investigated them, and found they don't have the features nor the reliability. I invested in a wired system, with a dual monitor system, so you can switch between the camera on the truck and the camera on the trailer. Makes hitchup easy and I can see everything behind the trailer too. Wasn't cheap, but five years later it still works. Monitor hangs from the ceiling. As I recall it was Rear View Systems. They make commercial gear.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #31
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
I recently installed a Voyager 5.6" wireless camera system. Cam is on the rear of the 28ft AS just below the center marker light, and gets its power from it. Mounted the screen on the dash of my pickup. The digital signal is robust with no static or breakup. I got it for backing into campsites and it is certainly helpful. I really like view while driving as I can easily see who is behind or about to pass by. A little expensive, but seems well made and works well. Also has sound so I can hear directions from a spotter.
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Rear View Cameras Review 2014 | Best Backup Cameras | Compare Car Rear Cameras - TopTenREVIEWS

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
But none of those wireless models claim to be digital, avoiding interference from TV Bluetooth...
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Food II View Post
Last week I installed a Garmin RV760 GPS with wireless backup camera which I mounted on my TV. I then had a Voyager wireless camera mounted on rear of my Intl 27 which also connects to the Garmin 7" monitor. All works great. It was wonderful being able to check behind my trailer for cars when changing lanes. 7" screen is a major benefit and the GPS has all kinds of neat and useful functionality plus lifetime map updates. Clarity on garmin camera is adequate, and is very good on the Voyager.

Total cost a little over $1,000, no sales tax or shipping from Crutchfield and RVcams.com. Pricy but worth it for safety and help on backing into sites.
Hi soul food
I have thought of getting the Garmin 760 but want to install camera on rear of AS.

Would you recommend getting garmin camera ( I've read not so good of reviews) or voyager? Any compatibility issues?
thanks
SchuHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #35

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I, too, am very interested in Soul Food's system. I already have the Voyager wireless rear view camera system, and I am currently in the market for a new GPS to replace my ten year old Garmin Nuvi 660.

Based upon the information provided, I can purchase a new Garmin 760LMT Portable GPS Navigator, and mate it to my Voyager Wireless camera. Is this correct? How involved is it to switch back and forth between the GPS map screen and the rear view camera screen?

This would be the very system that I am looking for. It would be great to have only one screen to deal with in the tow vehicle.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario

Interesting comparison.

I note that out of the ten top units , the top four are all wired cameras.

The first wireless unit comes in at #5, but when I looked in Amazon at customer reviews for that unit, it was not rated very well ( 2.5 stars out of 5 average over 105 customer reports.)

I presently have a Swift Hitch camera that I have had for about four years.

I have never been happy with it and found it barely useful and often more of a frustration than an aid due to signal break up when trying to use it for hooking up our Hensley on the back of our Sierra 2500HD.

I have been wondering if the problem I have had with the Swift Hitch is due to the way I use it. I usually have the monitor in my hand when in the drivers seat, and the camera with its magnetic mount low down at the back of the truck near the hitch.

I suppose that means that the analogue signal must pass through at least three layers of steel - i.e. the back wall of the cab, the front wall of the box, and then the tailgate (maybe four layers, as I imagine the tailgate is double walled.)

So I have just rigged up a suction mount for the camera using "RAM" components that I had on hand to mount the camera higher up on the tailgate window (I have a Leer cap on the truck).

I will also position the monitor in a suction cup mount high on the windshield.

This way, there will be a direct line, monitor to camera, interrupted only by
glass rather than steel. I figure this should give it the best possible chance or working well.

Also, rather than relying in the Swift Hitch internal batteries, I will leave both camera and monitor connected to 12v from the truck figuring that "might" help to get the best performance.

So far, I have only done a dry run with this setup on the truck in our driveway and it did seem to result in a very strong connection with no signal breakup at all, so I am cautiously optimistic that maybe this is the answer for me. I will be looking forward to seeing if it is much better next time when I try it when actually using it to hook up the trailer.

If there are still problems, then this will be my last experiment with the
Swift Hitch!

My inclination will be to forget about wireless cameras and to buy a wired system.

I have heard that Swift Hitch is now offering a digital unit but I don't know if it is any better in this respect than the unit I have and unless there are overwhelming strong recommendations I won't risk it!

Last time I looked, it is not yet offered on the Swift Hitch website - I was told that you need to call Swift Hitch directly to buy it. I tried twice to email them for more information, but got no reply)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We just had the Voyager installed at Jackson Center. LOVE it! Perfect connection all the time, great to have that "black hole" behind the trailer erased and what a great addition to mirrors - there is no blind spot while driving. You can see that guy sneaking up on your right to pass you before you get in that lane. Love it. Not as helpful yet for backing in to a campsite but that will improve over time when I get more used to it. I think the fisheye lens view is slightly confusing - but I love the mic in the camera because I can hear Sue clearly when she's talking (and doesn't have to yell).

Highly highly recommended!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
We just had the Voyager installed at Jackson Center. LOVE it! Perfect connection all the time, great to have that "black hole" behind the trailer erased and what a great addition to mirrors - there is no blind spot while driving. You can see that guy sneaking up on your right to pass you before you get in that lane. Love it. Not as helpful yet for backing in to a campsite but that will improve over time when I get more used to it. I think the fisheye lens view is slightly confusing - but I love the mic in the camera because I can hear Sue clearly when she's talking (and doesn't have to yell).

Highly highly recommended!!
I didn't know that was an option or I would have gone with it. In fact the dealer said they never ever install backup cameras

SchuHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuHouse View Post

I didn't know that was an option or I would have gone with it. In fact the dealer said they never ever install backup cameras

?

Jackson center extended their April deal in to May - Voyager installed for cost of product only - installation service is free.

Your dealer may not do it, but Airstream does and I'm sure others have too. I'd recommend it!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Here's my write-up on a rear of trailer backup install. At the time of my parts search, there was no digital camera and monitor available. There is one now...I think it is called Voyager. Digital signals pass through aluminum and longer distances better and don't get interference from bluetooth and wireless modems...but they are expensive. I am still happy with my setup, albeit with some camera unit fix-ups. (A longer story)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ras-83497.html
Following dznf0g's comprehensive installation, I made my own similar setup. You can see it here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ml#post1428110