Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Currently Looking...
Coeur d alene , Idaho
Winegard Rayzar or Jack OA-8000 ????

Any comments on either of these? Which would pull in the most stations? Thanks, Don
glacierrunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Where are you going to mount them? The Rayzar is a panel antenna intended for indoor use, and isn't going to do much more than old-fashioned rabbit ears. The OA-8000 is an outdoor antenna intended to fit on the mast of a Winegard Sensar. It will work better than the Rayzar but not as well as the Sensar that your trailer had from the factory.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Where are you going to mount them? The Rayzar is a panel antenna intended for indoor use, and isn't going to do much more than old-fashioned rabbit ears. The OA-8000 is an outdoor antenna intended to fit on the mast of a Winegard Sensar. It will work better than the Rayzar but not as well as the Sensar that your trailer had from the factory.
Winegard has (at least) 2 Rayzar products now... the flexible window-mount thing you mentioned, and the "Rayzar Air" which is a flat-ish amplified outdoor antenna that mounts on a mast (or perhaps includes one).

I'm curious about your comment on the JACK antenna's performance. I've looked for reliable comparisons between them and haven't really found anything, but I haven't looked in a while. Have you seen a good comparison somewhere?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierrunne View Post
Any comments on either of these? Which would pull in the most stations? Thanks, Don
I have a Rayzar that I use at home in case I lose cable TV in a storm (the cable company might have a power outage even though my home doesn't lose power; it's happened before). It pulls in about 18 stations in the New Orleans metro area. Fewer than my Airstream Interstate's antenna draws in, actually; the Airstream's antenna picks up 22 stations at last count. But the Rayzar is lightweight, and lays flat so it doesn't take up much room to store it, so it makes a good backup to another antenna.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I have the jack antenna that has its own rotating base mount. The original mast was long gone, so I mounted this antenna last month. Really happy with the reception, has an LED strength indicator on the base that allows you to find the strongest signal.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I have a like new Rayzar that I never use... Cheap! If anyone is interested

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I'm going to revive this old thread to ask again... any thoughts on the Rayzar? Specifically the Rayzar Automatic shown HERE.

This product is intended to fit on the top of the RV and replace the old crank-up antenna. As the name implies, Rayzar Automatic, automatically searches for broadcast TV signals. I'm really enamored with the concept and assuming it works think it's the next best thing in broadcast antenna for an RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	284
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	241346  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I will share about the Rayzar Air HDTV antenna retrofit kit. I have had one for about a year. I also have the directional signal wall plate that beeps and tells me signal strength. Previously my antenna was the batwing with the HDTV nose. The day I installed the Rayzar I noted several more stations. Another benefit is that it is bi-directional so rotation is 90 degrees at most making the rotation issue an easy task. It looks like a fly swatter on the roof but it works well for $50. One major reason to switch is the change in frequency of HDTV that is supposedly happening. The new ones are tuned to the new signal.

The dome type you mention is obviously new. It depends on how much it is and I wonder if it is able to do better being flat on the roof.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I will share about the Rayzar Air HDTV antenna retrofit kit. I have had one for about a year. I also have the directional signal wall plate that beeps and tells me signal strength. Previously my antenna was the batwing with the HDTV nose. The day I installed the Rayzar I noted several more stations. Another benefit is that it is bi-directional so rotation is 90 degrees at most making the rotation issue an easy task. It looks like a fly swatter on the roof but it works well for $50. One major reason to switch is the change in frequency of HDTV that is supposedly happening. The new ones are tuned to the new signal.

The dome type you mention is obviously new. It depends on how much it is and I wonder if it is able to do better being flat on the roof.

Thanks for the reply. I also noticed the Razar Air and it is affordable at $50.

I have an existing Winegard Sensar with the Batwing and it works well except for one thing. Airstream installed my Sensar on a section of the roof that has very little support. There may be a reason for this but it dramatically affects digital TV signal reception when the wind is blowing. When my Sensar is upright and the wind is blowing (even a breeze) the antenna will move as much as several inches. Imagine some flexing in the roof of the Airstream and then project the angle of that deflection up 36" to the Sensar and now the antenna moves quit a bit! I don't see a means to add any support to the base of the existing antenna. I don't want to drill holes. Maybe some external ribs applied with structural adhesive. Arggh!

How is your Winegard base attached? Are there ribs near the antenna? I'm tempted to change to the Rayzar Air but I suspect it will have the same problem with movement - maybe worse since it's a flat paddle in the breeze. Any comments?
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 06-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The issue sounds like it would not be resolved with the Rayzar Air as it uses part of the original crank up system - one pole instead of the two for the batwing. If the antenna base is moving around then it would still do so. Mine is also in a mid section and not as sturdy but I have not noticed the movement in wind. The razar WOULD BE a paddle in the wind.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We replaced the WineGard batwing that was factory installed with the WineGard Rayzar Automatic. We had to relocate the Airstream antenna amplifier to a new location to see it's display. System sure works easier than the batwing and more stations show up.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I forgot to mention that the Rayzar automatic came with a roof plate to secure the hole in the roof from the WineGard crankup batwing antenna and a round white ceiling plate to cover where the crank was inside. Since we have a white ceiling in the Classic, one does not hardly notice the disc. For a bare aluminum ceiling, one might want to paint the disc silver.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #13
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We replaced the WineGard batwing that was factory installed with the WineGard Rayzar Automatic. We had to relocate the Airstream antenna amplifier to a new location to see it's display. System sure works easier than the batwing and more stations show up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I forgot to mention that the Rayzar automatic came with a roof plate to secure the hole in the roof from the WineGard crankup batwing antenna and a round white ceiling plate to cover where the crank was inside. Since we have a white ceiling in the Classic, one does not hardly notice the disc. For a bare aluminum ceiling, one might want to paint the disc silver.
Thanks for the reply switz. Based on your comments it sounds like the Rayzar Automatic works as well as, perhaps better, than the crank-up antenna.

I think the Rayzar Automatic would solve my problem with movement in the wind. The three mounting points for the Rayzar Automatic would allow me to have one or two, maybe all three mounts near a rib in the roof of the trailer. Plus the Rayzar Automatic is low profile, has a wide footprint, and therefore would be less susceptible to movement.

I noted in the installation instructions for the Rayzar Automatic that it should not be mounted on metal. I contacted Winegard and asked them about Airstreams and their recommendation was to put it on top the trailer and try it before making a permanent installation.

I'd like your feedback on the items below:

- How long have you had your Rayzar Automatic installed and approximately how many times have you used it?

- Have you been in rural areas or mostly urban areas?

- Did you mount yours directly on top of (or very close to) the old crank-up base?

- Did you attach it to the sheet metal only or were you able to attach it to ribs?

- If you are able to provide a picture of your installation that would be very helpful.

- If I mount the Rayzar Automatic directly on top of the old crank-up base it will be very close to the air conditioner unit - less than 12". Winegard says it's supposed to be to be clear of obstructions but I didn't see a dimension for how close/far it should be from said obstructions. Any comments?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Looking at this product also... our original is hurting... Let me know what you think...

I also saw mention of the 'proximity' to other roof items... that makes sense as it would be 'line of sight' with the RAYZAR... not above most items as a 'crank up' would provide. Of course on our 34' there is lots of space between the AC and where I would mount the Rayzar. In fact, mounting in the center of the roof sure seems like the best place... the antenna would be 'level' if trailer is level...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
King Jack Antenna

Having attended the WBCCI International, listening to the Winegard story about the Rayzar Automatic and the $400 retail cost, then discussing this with some radio folks who know antennas, i am of the opinion that the performance of the Rayzar Automatic and King Jack should be about the same.

However, in an area which did not even have cell phone service, near Antonito, Colorado, I was told I might get two stations on my TV. With my new King Jack I received 12 perfect stations.

Albuquerque was about 135 miles and Santa Fe about 90 miles....phenomenal in my mind....and I am currently listening to KOAA HD out of Pueblo, Colorado, and I am at the Trinidad Lake State Park about 80 miles south of the transmitter.

One other thought, from one who had a motorhome with a crappy electrically rotated antenna, I like the simplicity of hand tuning vs. the "electrical" finder thing.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote