Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
San Francisco , California
Will This amplifier work

First, I posted a thread regarding my CD/radio player antenna connection, I can't find that thread, wonder if it got deleted? Thanks for the replies, I got it figured out. I installed a Pioneer DEH P980 BT headunit.

I have a Kicker KX550.3 amplifier, class D for subwoofer. It uses a 60A fuse to the battery.

I am going to replace the AS front speakers with small CDT Audio speakers and possibly add the subwoofer (same ones I had this amp hooked up to.)

Will this amp work in my 25' 1992 Excella? How much drain on the batteries when not hooked up to 110?

I know this amp is a bit overkill, I don't care for real loud music, but low volumes sound better. Probably a silly idea, but I have this audio stuff laying around from a car I sold a while back.

Kicker KX500.3 Amp specs:
RMS Power all channels driven:
@13.8V 4 ohm stereo 40 amps x 2
@13.8V, 2 ohm stereo 75 amps x2

Sub Power all channels driven:
@13.8V 2 ohm mono 400 amps x 1
intrepida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi intrepida. I love the picture of the pup in your profile photo!

Mods are very restrained about deleting anything. That is generally only done for spam or to control feuds. The latter is fairly uncommon. We delete a lot of spam daily ... or more often; don't want to give them clues by discussing this further.

I do recall your previous posting but unfortunately it seems to have fallen victim to an electronic gremlin we had on Monday, June 1st (see this announcement). All posts for about 18 hours, from midnight to about 6:00PM were lost. Three to four registrations have gotten in touch with tech support and re-registered after those were lost too. This type of problem is exceedingly rare at AIR but it affected you, a lengthy post I made on solar power, and a lot of other members that day. Sorry...

Saturday afternoon can be slow. I'll bookmark this thread and bump it later tomorrow afternoon so we get a fresh set of viewers looking at your question. Thanks for participating here!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Welcome, I have a DEH head unit also with an amp and sub. All rated about the same as your setup . 2 5x9 pioneer tri's front and 2 6x9 crossfires rear. Voltage drop per my voltminder is not bad at low power without shore power. I always plug in when I turn the system up in the driveway. Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp 001.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	81732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp 002.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	81733  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp 003.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	81734  
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Thumbs up

Hey thanks for clearing that up.I thought maybe my question was so stupid that the mods decided to delete it. I forget who replied, but who ever it was you were correct and it saved me some grief, so thanks. I am still trying to learn the forum tools etc, lets see if this URL is hyper linked:
YouTube - wienerworld's Channel
This is the pups Youtube channel
Old 06-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Thumbs up

Hi Berto,

Well that looks very promising. I wonder if there is a way to play the radio with the amp off. Where did you ground your amp?

Cool that you kept your vintage audio components.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Anybody else have further insight on this question?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The Kenwood stereos in my car have an option to (supposedly) shut off the subwoofer amp, but in reality it leaves the amplifier on but just cuts signal. Kind of disappointing.

That said, an amp that's on but being used only lightly isn't going to draw a lot of power. I probably wouldn't worry about it. You could easily find out with a multimeter - connect it in line with the amp power wire. NOTE that if you draw more than your multimeter's capacity (usually 10 amps), you'll zap it - so I would start at low volumes and work up from there to see how much power it draws at your desired volumes.

From there, you can estimate how much power this will draw from your batteries, and even figure out how long your batteries would last if you were just powering the sub (you aren't, of course, but it'll give you a measure of how much power you're drawing in the real world).

I have a Pioneer head unit in my camper, with Ford stock speakers (ugh) in the front and Pioneer 5x7s in the rear, one of which is buzzing and should be replaced. I don't have a sub in the camper...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote