Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Where is the inside wire for the TV antenna located?

I've got a 1975 Safari 23' and I'm trying to decide whether to remove or replace the TV antenna. That said, I'm trying to find out where the TV antenna cable enters the interior of the AS. I can see where the big ugly cable enters AS at the roof... but can't seem to find out where darn thing comes out inside the trailer.

Any pointers?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
On mine, the internal hookup is on the underside of the overhead storage above the fridge and pantry. Mine is a 72, so yours may be different. It looks like a normal electrical face plate with two, small, round holes for connecting the TV.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
I've got a 1975 Safari 23' and I'm trying to decide whether to remove or replace the TV antenna. That said, I'm trying to find out where the TV antenna cable enters the interior of the AS. I can see where the big ugly cable enters AS at the roof... but can't seem to find out where darn thing comes out inside the trailer.

Any pointers?
According to my 1975 Owner's Manual it is over the counter on the curb side of the trailer. On mine is is combined with the 12 volt plug. Remember that the antenna connections in 1975 were 2 small round holes about 1/2" apart. The plugs are still available but coax works better.

EDIT: It may be on the underside of the overhead cabinet on your model. IIRC I have seen them there before.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Cameron and Aaron, thanks for the pointer! I saw the 12v plug but just wrote it off as cigarette lighter power socket. Let me take a closer look tomorrow and I'll report back.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Aaron--

Ok... I saw the two holes earlier and dismissed them at possible holes used to attach a placard (perhaps "12V outlet" ) that was now missing.

There are two "blind" holes... probably smaller than 1/8" in size about a 0.5" apart. I assume that's them?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
That's them!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Cameron--

Thanks for guidance... I never would have figured those holes where anything important. I'll pull the cover and see if they are attached to anything. ;^)
Old 12-25-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
Aaron--

Ok... I saw the two holes earlier and dismissed them at possible holes used to attach a placard (perhaps "12V outlet" ) that was now missing.

There are two "blind" holes... probably smaller than 1/8" in size about a 0.5" apart. I assume that's them?
That is it...if you need a picture let me know. Airstream used a couple of different types of TV/power plugs. There is on in the bedroom on mine also, that has the TV and the power on the same cover.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We have 2 outlets in Our 77 Overlander. One leftside(traffic side) at the dinette table and one in the bedroom between the closets. Ours also has the 1/8 holes 1/2 in apart I have never been able to find the plug that fits it and I have never tested the cigar lighter plug to see if its alive.There is also a Switch there I have no idea what thats for.ANYONE KNOW??
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Ron,

If you pull the cover off could you post a photo of it and give a brand name and model number.
Mine is missing off my 1975 Tradewind, I need to find a replacement and so far the forums and Internet are getting my nowhere, lots of stuff on 75 ohm but ours are 300 ohms.
My service manual list it as a Braund Autocoupler but does not list a model or part number.

Your help would be much appreciated.
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Bruce--

Braved the snow and pulled the cover. The part number of the plastic housing is literally "Part No. 3824599". Glad to help.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
All--

OK, now that I know where the antenna cables it comes out... I discovered a second 300ohm cable going back into the wall bulkhead. I spend 5 mins looking for another outlet and the only thing I could fine was round RG-style cable form the front AM/FM antenna for the stereo.

Aaron mentioned that his trailer had a bedroom TV connection as well. With his AS being a 30ish footer and my being a 23'... the distance between this connector above the refrigerator and the "bedroom" is about 8". I figured their would only be one connection in my shorter AS.

Now I have to find the other end of the cable... curiousity can be an annoying character flaw.