Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chalfont , Pennsylvania
What's included in the A/V upgrade package?

What is included in late model, 07-09, A/V upgrade package? I know one of the items is the LCD TV along with the mounting bracket but if you have a trailer without the package what do you get as standard, what is eliminated?

Does it come with an antenna and wiring, 12V outlet, any radio and speakers?

Looking at the price of a package, >$2500, can you get by without it and just purchase a nice LCD TV with mount for around $1000.

Thanks,

Peter
shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I just installed a 23" LCD TV w/ DVD player and wall mount for around $600. The wall mount I used makes it so you can take the TV off the wall and just lay it down flat on the carpeting when moving. I also made another wall bracket for the bedroom so it can be mounted in there also. To take the TV off the wall all you do is loosen up one screw and off it comes!
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I have 2007 AV upgrade. Plays DVD's through stereo (special switching for that), remote works through stereo head, IPOD through Auxiliary, subwoofer, outdoor speaker option, fader, 10 cd player (with special SONY stuff for switching). Integration of all that is non-trivial, and wiring is quite complicated (as I know from messing around with it). With all that, I think the $2500 may be worth it.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi peter

details change a bit from year2year, so it's best to contact a dealer or a/s tech support...

audio...
basically all units come with an am/fm/cd player with removable face plate (sony), 4 speakers and an antenna

video...
basically all units are wired for tv, with 2 tv-12 volt outlets and an amplified directional roof mounted antenna.
they are also wired for cable and prewired for satellite dish. there are usually 2 cable outlets.

telephone...
they still seem to be wiring units for land line telephones and usually have 2 phone jacks.

the a-v UPGRADE typically includes...
an lcd television and wall bracket, subwoofer, a cd changer, and dvd player. the ipod/mp3 connector may be standard now.

i'm not sure if the 600 watt inverter is part of the a-v upgrade now.

typically the televisions a/s uses are OUT dated models at some point in the production year.

and while all the gear is installed, one can typically find the same or better components for less than 2500$...

however like most other option packages there is a margin in the package msrp,

which means MORE room/potential for discounts on the total price.

i'd skip the a-v package IF ordering a unit and calculate a BIG discount if it's already on an in stock trailer...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chalfont , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. It seems like if you want all the extras like the DVD, multi changer, and sub the A/V upgrade is the way to go. But if you are only looking for a TV solution, getting your own would make more sense.

There have been significant changes in the last 2 years in both the technology going up and the prices dropping way down. A 42" TV that used to cost over $2,000 can now be purchased for a little over $1k and has better features.

Thanks again!

Peter
shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

i'm not sure if the 600 watt inverter is part of the a-v upgrade now.
The 600 watt inverter is NOT part of the a-v upgrade.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Hence, with all the variations in electronic equipment available, its integration would be significant. That integration is part of what you pay for in the upgrade. All the way from plug types, grounding differences, current draws, switching, reliable wiring, to component compatibility...
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote