Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Using A/S speakers for T.V.?

I have a 2006 19' Bambi Safari SE. It came with the Sony Audio system. (It works well but is hard to figure out...seems like every time we go somewhere I have to read the manual because I forgot how to operate it from the last time I did it). I have mounted a LCD TV/DVD combo in it and when we watch movies I would like to have better sound. Does anybody know if my Bambi might be prewired for that? The TV has a coaxial line out plug to go to a receiver, but I don't want to string it across the doorway to get it to the Sony. Any ideas?
Thanks, Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
I think you can do it...the issue is how to get the wires hooked up so you don't have a clothes line going across your trailer. Have you connected the cable to the sound system to ensure it does in fact work? If it does...is there a way to "feed" the cable behind your walls. If it doesn't...well it doesn't...
Old 04-17-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Assuming your TV is over the refer........

1. I am looking at stringing the wires in a loam. Beginning at the little box on the floor up front under the dinette, where all the wires from your stereo probably terminate, run them tight along the curbside floor & wall seam.

Your local automotive store has the loams in silver too to help blend it in.... black won't look bad either.

2. With a router or a couple passes on the table saw, open up the bottom side of the wood threshold as necessary.... shouldn't be much or very deep and within another couple of inches you will be behind the refer and on your way to the TV !

It takes some dismantling and drilling, but clean when complete.

I agree too that that stereo is not all that intuitive !

Watch your fingers !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Electronic stores sell an FM-transmitter that plugs into the earphone jack on the TV set (or radio, etc.). This retransmits the stereo sound on a preset FM radio channel, to which you then set your FM receiver. You can also tune your Walkman to this signal and use earphones (great for the kids). They cost about $10-15, as I recall.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are terribly ignorant of all things electronic, but had a sound problem after we replaced the TV in our Interstate (due to the digital thing). The original TV conveyed sound through the speakers, the new one would not. There were and still are extra cords that are now not connected to anything. We went into a Radio Shack store, Interstate parked out front, explained the problem, and the owner resolved it in seconds by inserting something into the side of the TV that connected the TV to whatever the earplugs would be for the stereo----a converter of some sort?? Our suggestion would be, if you are not able to fix it yourself, go to Radio Shack and they will likely know what to do!! Good luck.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
FM transmitter

Another vote for the FM transmitter from Radio Shack. We use a GigaWare transmitter to broadcast TV from our laptop to the radio speakers in our 22' CCD. Reception can be influenced by other FM signals and objects (people) standing in the transmittance path, but what an improvement over the laptop speakers! Here is a link to the one that we have -- Gigaware® WIreless FM Transmitter - RadioShack.com.
Please be aware that the FCC has limited the range of these transmitters, one that we tried from Best Buy did not work in our Airstream, and often older models will transmit further.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
The 2006 Bambi is pre-wired. You will find one set of plugs behind the radio when you remove the cover panel inside the cabinet overt the dinette. Those plugs terminate over by the electrical and phone jack by the bed. Remove the socket and the phone jack,they are tucked inside the wall so you are going to have to fish around in there. Make sure the trailer is not hooked up to shore power! I removed the phone jack and installed the audio video jacks in it's place. I replaced the Sony radio with a Sony radio/dvd player, made all the right connections and it works great (if you thought you had to read the manual for the radio just wait until you play a dvd)!
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Thanks.

Thank you for your answers on this. I thought it might be prewired because it is for solar panels/controler, etc. Right now my problem is that you folks have given me great choices...fish out the prewired leads out of the wall or FM transmission. I'll have to check out both ways.

Randy
Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Works Great!

If anybody cares how this turned out...Johnco was exactly right. My Bambi is prewired with a three strand wire (Yellow-video, red and white-audio) with RCA jacks on the ends. The wires were: Just above the 110 converter power plug in the wall at the foot of the bed and: right behind the radio where he said. What I ended up doing was, I used a 3.5mm male jack into the earphone jack on the TV, ran it over to the wall where the red and white audio wires are and plugged them in. (The adapter I bought had 3.5mm male/RCA males (red and white). I bought one made by Monster because it used a 90 degree jack so it sits right up against the TV. After that I just plugged in the RCA jacks inback of the radio to the distribution box behind the radio.
BTW in my online education on this I found out that apparently when the electronic manufacturers make the earphone plug they run it through a converter on the main board of the unit that converts it from digital to analog. It can be bulky and expensive if you try to do that outside of the electronic appliance. (TV, computer or IPod).

Thanks for your help, Johnco.

Randy Bowman