Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #81
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Cris....here are answers to your questions. If you still have a few, pls PM me.
Sticky tape. Is the 3M heavy duty stuff. I have a roll and cut a new piece when I reinstalled the lens. It's two sided tape, and there is a clip inside the housing that also holds the lens in place....but the sticky tape does most of the work.
Wiring. No WAY was I cutting a 3/4" hole in my trailer for two small wires! I drilled about a 3/8" hole (bought a rubber grommet at HD for it), I'd already detached the housing for the clearance lamp so I knew I could easily pull wires since the camera is so close to the lamp. Used some Vulkem to seal.
Aluminum. I live very close to the A/S dealer where I bought my trailer (Out-of-Doors Mart in Colfax, NC). They gave me a number of pieces of scrap aluminum that I keep for "just in case I need it" work.
Camera Adjustment. Once I had the camera mounted on the trailer it was simple to adjust the "up and down" movement (you'll use the Allen wrench on this). It is a wide angle lens, so all you're really doing is figuring out how far up you want to tilt it.

I also have a "Swift Hitch" for hitching my trailer. (I am a tech geek.) I don't always use it, depends on where I'm parked. I solo travel, so having this is very helpful.

BTW, the Voyager works well on the IR at night. I have the sound turned ALL THE WAY OFF. It is very sensitive and distracting when you're on the road, but if you have a navigator when you're backing into a space they could whisper and you'd still hear them!

Good luck, this is a great piece of equipment and I've made great use of it in the last 18 months.

REMEMBER: you MUST have your clearance lights on for the Voyager to work. No power to the clearance light =s non operative camera!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
yes, it will be something for me to consider....once I have an AS...and once I get a bit more experience and determine my wants/needs.

Great info here..thanks.
It is more important to have a back up camera on the tow vehicle for hitching up right on the first try. If you buy a new tow vehicle you can have one factory installed. On the Express van (and probably other GM models) it is only a $200 option. We have decided to get it on all fleet vehicles from now on.
A back up camera on the trailer would be handy for backing into a campsite getting it right the first time. We have a neighbor with a camera on the back of his SOB.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
The new GoPro Hero camera ... has built in WIFI with a range of approx 600ft. ... An accompanying Android/iOS app displays what the camera sees on your phone's screen. ...
Won't you need a WIFI router to enable connectivity between the camera and an Android/iOS device, or is an Ad Hoc network supported?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
Aliso Viejo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
The new GoPro Hero camera GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera (not designed for this application, it's an outdoor video camera that's beloved by divers, snowboarders etc) has built in WIFI with a range of approx 600ft. An accompanying Android/iOS app displays what the camera sees on your phone's screen. While there is a 2 second delay while recording, that delay is almost unnoticeable when just using the camera for monitoring. The Hero cam comes with all kinds of accessories, including a suction mount guaranteed to hold up to 200mph windspeed. I am going to try this solution (we've got a couple of these camera at work) and will report back on feasibility.
Interested in this option - any luck? Looking for a backup camera from the back of the AS since my TV has rear backup integrated. Something wireless and easy install is preferred. I appreciate your help.
Brokerchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Costco baby monitor

I purchased a baby video monitor from Costco...$99.00 (or direct from Uniden Baby Monitors .
It consists of two units, both with rechargeable batteries. The camera is quite small and I mount it between the glass and screen at the rear of the trailer with Velcro. The monitor has a 3 1/2 in colour screen that I place on the steering column with Velcro (depending on vehicle, this may have to placed in a different location)

Reception is flawless...even from the back of trailer. The only issue is the image is reversed..left to right...but once you get used to it it is great. Also you are looking through the tinted glass so the image is a bit dark, but not so much as to be a problem Recharge at the end of day. It is great to drive with as you can see the tailgaters that you cannot see in the mirror and for pulling in if passing (not that that happens much!!)
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Does a baby monitor get Bluetooth interference? I have found that my truck interferes with normal wireless back up cameras because of the Bluetooth capability that cannot be turned off.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
No interference at all. Our truck has bluetooth with our cell phone on at all times. It runs at 2.4 Ghz much like a cordless phone. I used it all summer and never had it break up.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
And this model can play lullabies....for those long road trips....no wait--we are not supposed sleep when driving are we!!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #89
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
And this model can play lullabies....for those long road trips....no wait--we are not supposed sleep when driving are we!!
That reminds me of an incident from my own past…

I had to travel for business with a coworker, and I got stuck driving. Every day for a week. Every time it was her turn to drive, it was always, "I'm really tired; I think I'll take a nap. You don't mind, do you?"

Well, of course I minded. So finally, when she announced once again that she was going to take a nap, I said, "That's a really good idea; I think I'll take one as well!" Then I closed my right eye, and kept right on driving. About six miles later, with my right eye closed the whole time and never once straying out from between the lines or running a stop sign, my coworker was so freaked out that she finally insisted on taking her turn to drive. She couldn't see that my left eye was open the whole time, and genuinely thought I was driving with both eyes closed.

To this day, that person will not ride in a car when I'm driving because she's terrified that I'll "fall asleep that the wheel" again.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
Aliso Viejo , California
Any other ideas for wireless backup cams / marriage savers for the rear of the AS? I like the idea above but the reversed image sounds like it would be a bit of an adjustment, especially for a newbie tower
Brokerchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokerchris View Post
... I like the idea above but the reversed image sounds like it would be a bit of an adjustment, especially for a newbie tower
The displays that come with many cameras have the ability to flip the image. In that way you can make it so the image mimics what you would otherwise see in the rearview mirror; what appears on the right is what's on the right. However, I suspect that specific baby monitors don't have this feature.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
No interference at all. Our truck has bluetooth with our cell phone on at all times. It runs at 2.4 Ghz much like a cordless phone. I used it all summer and never had it break up.
Not really....although this unit transmits at 2.44 Ghz, like a bluetooth and cordless phones, it is DIGITAL. So it's not "like" those devices. An analog system, like mine, is the same as those devices, thus the interference. Digital is fairly new to this market, and is superior for penetrating metal shells. Price is dropping fast too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokerchris View Post
... but the reversed image sounds like it would be a bit of an adjustment, especially for a newbie tower
I guess we could glue the display to the inside of the back window. Looking at it in the rearview mirror would reverse the reverse image.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post

I guess we could glue the display to the inside of the back window. Looking at it in the rearview mirror would reverse the reverse image.
Very creative idea! Of course that wouldn't work for us with the Queen of Slobber in the back seat :-) won't be long before we wouldn't see anything on the screen!

I really want to find a good answer for this. I hate backing the trailer up blind. I'm ok using the mirrors and DW is an awesome guide - but 80% of what's behind me is unknown. And I like the idea of a 3 camera system that's running all the time so you can REALLY see all lanes aground you and what's behind you. Seems like the expensive Voyager will be the answer....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
... And I like the idea of a 3 camera system that's running all the time so you can REALLY see all lanes aground you and what's behind you. ...
Well here you go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	url3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	201372  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #96

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Well here you go!
YEAH! That's what you need, Google's self-driving car! Let the car do the driving, while you and the missus relax back in the trailer (if you live in a jurisdiction that allows riding in a trailer; some do, some don't).
Old 12-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Actually that's one of the cars in their fleet that collects the images for Google Street View. It takes 360° shots at regular intervals as the car drives down the road and coordinates the images with the GPS coordinates.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #98

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
Actually that's one of the cars in their fleet that collects the images for Google Street View. It takes 360° shots at regular intervals as the car drives down the road and coordinates the images with the GPS coordinates.
I stand corrected, but Google does have some driverless cars, don't they? I remember seeing something about them on CBS News one morning.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Yep, they've got several of them running around also... Heard the only accidents have been when the human panicked and took control. At least that's the story they're sticking with.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #100
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Love my RVS 4 way
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote