RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #441
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Good catch, Doug. My road test of Pearl RearVision failed due to the 10mph disable. A company tech offered to remotely eliminate that disable for me, but there is still an issue of the app launcher launching, which would require reselecting the RearVision on the iPhone. This is probably confusing for anyone who hasn't installed the product. I'm holding on the return to see if they might come up with another fix.

Safe Travels,
Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #442
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for the additional info Joe. I had high hopes for this product, but in the end I guess it just won't do what we need it to do.
Thanks again

Doug
Old 11-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #443
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I did return the Pearl RearVision, but will keep an eye on it for future developments. Their tech team was very responsive to my issues. Following is an informative response:

"Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the clarification. I completely understand your decision. However, I would like to clarify a couple things really quickly.

If you're utilizing your iPhone with your home network, all you would need to do is default to using Bluetooth with your RearVision. This would prevent the need of manual intervention to utilize RearVision.

Also, if your video feed times out when your speeds have not exceeded 10 mph, this is due to the integrated Pearl App Launcher. All you would need to do to relaunch the video stream is tap the RearVision Camera Frame icon at the top of the App Launcher. This restarts the timer and reactivates the video feed.

Thanks again for giving RearVision a try. I would recommend checking back at our website occasionally to see if we have released a product that may meet your RV needs. You never know what the future may hold! Have a good weekend."
Old 11-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #444
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Good catch, Doug. My road test of Pearl RearVision failed due to the 10mph disable. A company tech offered to remotely eliminate that disable for me, but there is still an issue of the app launcher launching, which would require reselecting the RearVision on the iPhone. This is probably confusing for anyone who hasn't installed the product. I'm holding on the return to see if they might come up with another fix.

Safe Travels,
Joe

So if I'm hearing you correctly Pearl can disable the 10mph limit while in forward motion but you still need to manually launch the Pearl app on your phone?
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #445
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home-N-Tow View Post
I recently purchased Garmin RV 760LMT w/Wireless Backup Camera. My next road trip kicks off in a few weeks. Lookiing fwd to posting some postive results.
How has this worked out for you?
I'm not sure I'd get the RV version, but the 'standard' one seems to have all I really want (maybe I'm wrong)

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #446
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mark,

I have the Garmin and BC30 camera.

Yes it works but I have reservations about overall image quality. It lacks some detail and seems to exhibit a refresh image or almost shuttering. Not sure of video terms for this.

I did have the RV version and it had a std screen. Returned for better screen GPS, it helped a bit.

Garmin if you're listening, this is a good idea in search of a better camera.

I did get the wireless setup to work.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #447
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Garmin if you're listening, this is a good idea in search of a better camera.
I'd like getting a Garmin RV GPS with camera also. My recommendation - make the camera so it can fit into the housing of a Furrion system that is being installed on some brands.
SailorSam205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #448
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
The Pearl system looks interesting. Might have to consider that option if the reviews are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaeha View Post
So if I'm hearing you correctly Pearl can disable the 10mph limit while in forward motion but you still need to manually launch the Pearl app on your phone?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:33 PM   #449
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
I am using a hard-wired Garmin RV 760LMT with their backup camera on a 27-foot AS Flying Cloud. I don't know if I would get the same system again, for the following reasons:
1. It is an expensive system providing information on the GPS head unit that I barely use, since I have an onboard GPS. Specifically, I would look next time at the offerings of dedicated rear camera systems that do not also have GPS capabilities.
2. I tried initially to use this unit with IR. IT was very spotty, coming on and off. That has been reduced almost to no errors by hardwiring the system, which required purchasing a 30-foot cable from Garmin.
3. I use the system more while going forward than in going in reverse, since one goes forward most of the time. I have it rigged so I can use the system as a "rear view mirror" and see what is behind the AS as we are going down the highway.
4. Garmin customer support has been fairly good, a plus.
5. It cost several hundred dollars to install this system.
6. I consider a camera on the AS giving me a rear view as described in 3 to be ESSENTIAL for safety.

I hope these comments are helpful!
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #450
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoman1527 View Post
2. I tried initially to use this unit with IR. IT was very spotty, coming on and off. That has been reduced almost to no errors by hardwiring the system, which required purchasing a 30-foot cable from Garmin.

5. It cost several hundred dollars to install this system.

I hope these comments are helpful!

I did my own install and added the extension cord to move the transmitter right up to the front trailer window, it has almost line of sight to GPS receiver.

Just came back from a trip, still not a fan it's not doing all I hoped for. I have not tried hard wired. I'll look at cables and consider a test.

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #451
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
I wonder, Gary: in what way did the system not do all you hoped for? I would say it now does most of what I had hoped for, although at greater expense and possible with a more wide angle camera than a dedicated rear camera system would provide. If I had to do it again I would NOT even start with a wireless system. I consider a rear camera system to be so important so that I can see behind me at all times that I think a wireless system is not reliable enough for the task. I'm curious as to what you mean. Thanks!
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #452
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Shortcomings:

Clarity of image.
Image shuttering. You'd have to see the snapshot by snapshot effect pulsating view while driving if camera is on.
Lack of definition. Shadows from trees and such seem to confuse the system.

Last Saturday I backed into a state park site, blacktop drive with some fallen leaves on it, leaves also adjacent to site. Camera was of no major assistance to backup. It didn't pick up the driveway for the scattered leaves.

I placed a lengthy of pvc pipe in my backyard back in parking spot as a guide, that helps. Also an orange traffic cone as a target, shows up pretty late.

It looks like they valued a big fish eye view.

One reason I looked at the camera was my son has an accord and I think you could easily read a newspaper headline in its camera. I doubted I'd get that clarity. My camera is in the license plate.
S/OS #001
Old 11-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #453
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The backup camera on our 2014 Toyota Avalon is vert sharp and clear, too.
I don't know if it is wide angle, fish eye, or what, but it's like you can actually see around the corner.
The generic wireless camera on my Airstream from a car stereo store is jittery and has a terrible refresh rate. The vehicle that was behind you in the camera view is now beside you.
This cheesy generic camera does actually help in backing in, but I still have my wife tell me when to "whoa" and I still get out and look- sometimes 2-3 times before I am comfortable/satisfied that I won't hit a tree, a grill, or a picnic table.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #454
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
I've got the Furrion Observation System. Only issue with video while driving has occurred when the power plug of the display slid out, not problem with the Furrion, rather cheap multi outlet thing I bought.

Video is stable while driving, no "snap shotting" more than clear enough to see vehicles that are reasonably close. If the vehicle looks real small in side view mirror, it is all but invisible in the display. Distance marks seem reasonable and when passing, if the passed vehicle is in the green bar area, that is a safe position to pull back over. I find backing up is fine, more than adequate clarity.

I will say that the distance marks on the drivers side seem to bend out from straight. Passenger side the marks will keep an even distance from, say the white line of the side of a lane. The last mark on the drivers side will go across the lane mark lines if the closest mark is just on the vehicle side of the line.

I am using this pure wireless, so the camera is about 37 feet from the receiver.

Could the video be clearer, probably, screen could be larger, but with what I know, I'd buy it again.

Note that this is the more expensive observation camera which is intended for use while driving, not the backup only version that they sell.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #455
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Master Lock BU camera worked great for us, but haven't installed it in new USB equipped AS due to not having an easy 12VDC source ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #456
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
I've got the Furrion Observation System. Only issue with video while driving has occurred when the power plug of the display slid out, not problem with the Furrion, rather cheap multi outlet thing I bought.

Video is stable while driving, no "snap shotting" more than clear enough to see vehicles that are reasonably close. If the vehicle looks real small in side view mirror, it is all but invisible in the display. Distance marks seem reasonable and when passing, if the passed vehicle is in the green bar area, that is a safe position to pull back over. I find backing up is fine, more than adequate clarity.

I will say that the distance marks on the drivers side seem to bend out from straight. Passenger side the marks will keep an even distance from, say the white line of the side of a lane. The last mark on the drivers side will go across the lane mark lines if the closest mark is just on the vehicle side of the line.

I am using this pure wireless, so the camera is about 37 feet from the receiver.

Could the video be clearer, probably, screen could be larger, but with what I know, I'd buy it again.

Note that this is the more expensive observation camera which is intended for use while driving, not the backup only version that they sell.

SailorSam,
I've just ordered the Furion OS. May I ask where you mounted the camera? Above or below the clearance lights? Did you power via the clearance light?

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
Old 12-03-2016, 02:27 AM   #457
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We powered our Voyager backup camera from the USB circuit in the roof locker above the rear bed in the 2015 23D International Serenity. We put a "lighted when on rocker switch" in the face of the cabinet so I can double check that the camera is powered on from the door.

In the 2014 Classic, we tied into the reading light power in the roof locker above the street side twin bed. A lighted power switch was put inside the roof locker.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:52 AM   #458
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
My TV did not have a factory backup camera so I bought a cheapie, the "Peak" unit I found on Amazon for less than $100 and installed it. https://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0RB-3...+backup+camera It powers the license-plate-mounted camera via the backup lights so whenever the truck is placed in "reverse" the BU camera does it's job. It's a wireless/Bluetooth design, but I mounted the transmitter up under the dash to assure a clear picture.
I bought a second unit and mounted the camera on the rear of the AS, and along with their extension-cable, ran the transmitter to under the dash also. I used a common 4-pin trailer plug to make the umbilical connection between the AS and TV. I installed a pushbutton switch and common automotive relay which when activated removes power from the truck camera and constantly powers the AS camera for towing/backing.
The fish-eye camera and range marks work fine as long as you don't look for detail beyond 30-50 ft (due to cars and objects being too small beyond that range.) But it's perfect for backing into sites, and for seeing tailgaters who always seem to want to pull-out and pass just when you want to turn left or change lanes. Any farther back than 30' I can see them in my sideview mirrors.
Total cost: Less than $100 each camera, and about an hour to install the TV units and four hours to install the AS camera and run the cable. (I had to remove the rear lavatory sink to get the cable thru the rear wall to the license plate. The cable was not difficult to run beneath the wardrobe and galley of my 22' Sport up to the point where the 7-pin umbilical exits the AS beneath the front bed. Sounds harder than it was, actually.)
Very simple, inexpensive, and useful.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:54 AM   #459
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Followup: (my time to edit expired)

By purchasing the identical camera unit for the AS it allowed me to mount only one monitor, which observes whichever camera is activated....and provides me a spare monitor should the original ever fail. The system has worked for 3 years now without any trouble. (And the camera is great even in low light.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #460
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
SailorSam,
I've just ordered the Furion OS. May I ask where you mounted the camera? Above or below the clearance lights? Did you power via the clearance light?

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
My SOB came with the mounting bracket pre-installed. It is below the center clearance light I suspect it is powered by the clearance lights, I have to have the TV running lights on to get power.

FWIW, I am currently using a couple of rubber bands to attach the monitor onto my inside rear view mirror. Works good because I'm used to looking there to see what is in back...