Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2020, 12:59 AM   #1

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Naperville , Illinois
TV Upgrade Question

Hello Community,
RV newbie here. Was able to find a lot of information about replacing TV in the trailer. I have a 2020 Flying Cloud and would like to replace the two TV's with a better quality Smart TV's. Should the new TV's I am looking at be capable of running on 12V? Any information is helpful. Thank you, all.
Jalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:28 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Flying Cloud
Wapakoneta , Ohio
To my knowledge your AS doesn't have any 12v outlets (my 2020 Caravel does not) so you'd have to use your inverter or be on shore power to power up any TV you get. Any TV that fits into the space of your current one will work just fine. There are a lot of good TVs under $150 in the 22-26" range that have all kinds of inputs and outputs.

My Caravel has one 24" TV that only had one HDMI port. I was able to get a replacement for around $100 that had multiple inputs and an audio output (my goal was to get the TV audio over the in-house speakers).

Any TV made in the last 10 years should have the standard 4-hole VESA mount points on the back so you can just take the current one off of the wall-arm and replace it with the new one.

Hope that helped!
jagpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Not sure why AS doesn’t put smart TV’s in these new trailers. As much as we spend on these things..... oh well.
We bought an Amazon Fire Stick for ours in lieu of replacing TV’s. You just simply plug into the HDMI port and it has preloaded apps for Most of the streaming services. Of course you have to have a wi fi connection from the pre-installed Airstream overpriced mobile internet system, or just take a hotspot with you. Same thing. Either way you have to have a strong cell signal which can be challenging camping in some areas.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
If you are willing to install 12-volt outlets a 12-volt TV will be more efficient when not conected to shore power because it will not require you to use your inverter. There are other posts on 12-volt TVs--use the search function to find them. --Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #5

2004 25' Safari
San Jose , California
Upgraded TV

I called our local Airstream Distributor for guidance on what to look for when upgrading the TV in our 2004 Safari. He told us any LED TV Smart 1080p with a regular plug in would work. Some of the newer models have unique wiring but our 2004 Airstream does not.

We just ordered a Vizio 32in Class - D-Series - 1080p LED LCD TV (item #: 7320032) from Costco.com. It was $165.

We just unboxed it, it fits on the original bracket but the black velcro strap that holds it in place while traveling is too short as we got a slightly larger screen so we will have to adjust for that. Can't wait to test this and also get a DVD player.
Roadblach is offline   Reply With Quote