Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #1

2006 23' Safari SE
Westport , Massachusetts
TV Problems because of the change to digital

Help! We own a 2006 Safari 23 ft. w/ a Sony flat-screen TV with a stereo/DVD system attached, which is located in the head locker above the seating bench. Now that some channels have converted, I unsuccessfully tried to install a converter box. Is there a magical cure or should we invest a new TV? YZ
yvonnezuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I installed a converter box and have no issues in picking up stations as long as my antenna is pointing in the right direction. I did purchase an inexpensive flat screen tv ($299) - Best Buy brand. You could have a problem with the converter itself. Is there a help telephone number with the converter? Best of success.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When you attach the box, don't forget to have the tv scan for new channels.

Good luck. Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If I am correct, the TV should be tuned to the output channel of the converter box, just like using a cable box or VCR. The converter box must scan for channels.

Right?
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
How old is the Sony? Are you sure it is not already digital ready?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I plan to hook up a converter box also - but right now the AS is burried under the snow so I'll have to wait until the Spring thaw to experiment. My question is whether or not the antenna signal booster will work properly with the converter box? Second question - how do I feed the TV in the rear bedroom without having a separate box? These questions, of course, pertain to the older ASs.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
How old is the Sony? Are you sure it is not already digital ready?
Some are some are not. My 06 Classic came with a Sony WEGA HD Display but no HD (ATSC) tuner. I was a little miffed.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The converter installation is a straight forward install.

Run the cable from your trailer antenna amplifier to the converter input terminal and a cable from the converter output terminal to the TV. Tune the TV to channel 3 and with the converter control use the menu to auto tune the converter for channels. If you are close to the station antenna orientation will not be that critical. However once you have some channels you may want to go back and with the converter control check the signal strength and align the trailer antenna for the strongest signal and then research for additional stations.

This will give you access to the new digital stations. However if you are carrying a Sat Dish or want access to campground cable you will have to do some additional wiring. My trailer is wired for analog, no longer available as of today, digital, campground cable, and Directv.

While the analog signals were still available it was common to get interference from the lower channels under some conditions, but this problem should disappear as the go off air.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The mandatory end of analog signals has been delayed until June 2009. Some stations have stopped broadcasting analog signals, but most still do.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
The installation of a converter box is pretty straightforward. The connections are the same no matter if the TV has a DTV tuner or not as the output from the box is still an analog signal.
An engineer from the Milwaukee PBS station was interviewed on the radio yesterday and claimed many problems are due to the integrity of the antenna. In addition most stations are broadcasting on new frequencies.
A VHF station that came in good might not come in at all now due to a combination of a frequency shift, the way the antenna on the new transmitter is tweaked, change in output power, terrain and other obstructions like a tall building.
He said it would be a good idea to scan for new channels every few days while the stations sort thing out.
My conversion went quite well and generally have been pleased with the results. Here's the thread.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...box-43618.html Some members commented on the TVs in the newer rigs.
Recheck the connections. It seems to me if there is no signal it should be a simple fix.

Good luck,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I suggested scanning the tV because it will have the old channels "preset", and channel 3 or 4 may not be included in the presets. So in the best case, the tv will now be preset to whichever one the box sends on.

Are you also sure you turned on the TV antenna amplifier?

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have a related question, and would appreciate any assistance in resolving. Rather than find a place to put a converter box in our 22' Interstate, we replaced the small flat-screen TV with a slightly larger Magnavox. Reception on HD channels is outstanding, but we get the "freeze" interference at times, sometimes excessive to the point that we can't understand what we are watching, which is really annoying. Is this fixable? We are enjoying the forums and the wealth of information out there.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
....we have cable, and made a short move a few days ago and transferred internet along with the cable...when he hooked it up outside...he came inside and toggled a switch on the back of our modem and reset it...is there a reset switch or button ...anywhere? Is there a reset button for this planet?!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Reception on HD channels is outstanding, but we get the "freeze" interference at times, sometimes excessive to the point that we can't understand what we are watching, which is really annoying.
On my last trip to Fl. I have had the "freeze" problem on channels that had a weak signal to my location. If the majority of the channels I was tuned to were coming from say Tampa and I tried to pick up a channel from Sarasota that signal might drift in and out of freezing.

Most converter boxes have a built in signal strength meter. Not sure if "digital tuner TVs" have a meter but if yours does check the signal strength the next time this happens and try moving the antenna to pick up a stronger signal.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
A BIMBO could set up a convertor box. just read the instructions.

I made the conversion 2 months ago- best thing that ever happened to television.
call me a bimbo.

More stations for starters, excellent picture.
Some stations I now receive that I did not before, probably because these stations have placed their new tx antenna in newer places. It's all good
Then again some stations will loose their range until they raise the height of their tx antenna.
Anyway while camping I seldom watch tele, more into my flight sim and music. and peace and quiet.

My box does have a signal strength meter, works great, kinda like dialing in a dish.
And you can use rabbit ears with great success eliminating that aerodynamic ugly roof top antenna thing.Just get a picture frame antenna. to each his own.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

The procedure is described on the following link: Troubleshooting Guide for Digital-to-Analog Converter Boxes and Digital Televisions

Good luck Jon AC4XE
ac4xe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
Riveting Experience

1977 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Raleigh , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to iverson
Why would you use a converter box if you have a newer TV with a digital tuner? Seems redundant.

Thanks,
Terry

PS: Gunrunner, is a Bimbo a Bambi owner?
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac4xe View Post
The procedure is described on the following link: Troubleshooting Guide for Digital-to-Analog Converter Boxes and Digital Televisions

Good luck Jon AC4XE
This is the Home Page for this topic. It speaks to the expected number of stations you can expect to receive in a given location and also answers many other questions

DTV Reception Maps

Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #19
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Me? you mean me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson View Post
Why would you use a converter box if you have a newer TV with a digital tuner? Seems redundant.

Thanks,
Terry

PS: Gunrunner, is a Bimbo a Bambi owner?
Terry;
I was calling myself a bimbo , NO one else. If a guy like me can hook up a convertor box--anyone can. A self inflicted insult- but you already knew that.

Now about the bimbo bambi thing. I am a fan of longer trailers. There are many reasons for me to not own a small trailer. one is pictured below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86 Excella 171.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	75959  

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We picked up a Digital HD TV a little over a year ago when camped in Destin Fl. There were local stations in Panama City broadcasting digitally at that time. Interestingly enough the digital signals were poor in the day time. Lots of picture freezes or not enough signal. Fast forward to night and the signal quality improved enough for the UHF digital signal to reach us.

As noted in other posts, you have to get a clear shot at the transmitter. If not, it's a no go. The move to digital will not be pain free. The antennas we use today may not be able to provide digital service in areas that can get by on analog service today.

The only "fix" will be better technology which means antenna improvements on our Airstreams.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote