Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2023, 09:50 AM   #1

2017 28' International
Cope , South Carolina
TV Mount Dining Area

I have a 2017 International RTB. The TV in the dining area is flush mounted to the wall. For the life of me I cannot get the TV to release from the wall. There has to be a way for it to release, no tabs or straps like in bedroom. Looking to install a larger smart TV. Any suggestions.
ranman2553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman2553 View Post
I have a 2017 International RTB. The TV in the dining area is flush mounted to the wall. For the life of me I cannot get the TV to release from the wall. There has to be a way for it to release, no tabs or straps like in bedroom. Looking to install a larger smart TV. Any suggestions.
We did exactly what you’re wanting to do 2 years ago. From my recollection it wasn’t too bad. This is from my recollection but if you look down behind the tv you should see the top of a screw. The tv needs to be lifted up and out of the mount. That screw is what captures the tv in the mount.

Just reuse that wooden block mount with the new tv.

I’ll be going to our trailer in storage over the next few days and will look at it to refresh my memory.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
We did exactly what you’re wanting to do 2 years ago. From my recollection it wasn’t too bad. This is from my recollection but if you look down behind the tv you should see the top of a screw. The tv needs to be lifted up and out of the mount. That screw is what captures the tv in the mount.

Just reuse that wooden block mount with the new tv.

I’ll be going to our trailer in storage over the next few days and will look at it to refresh my memory.
Did this last summer...a bugger to figure out! You need to long screw driver to unscrew the top cap/block as mentioned earlier, behind the tv. From the top side down behind with a light, you should be able to see what we are talking about. I went thru these contortions with mine, thinking I would replace with little larger smart TV also, only to find out the one I had purchased protruded to much in the back where the mount was, and I could not get it to fit as flush as the original. I put it all back together but this time, I did not install the locking block. I plan to replace at some point, but finding the right rear packaging on the "new" replacement that will fit is my challenge. Post pictures if you can as you go so we can all see!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:35 AM   #4

2017 28' International
Cope , South Carolina
Was able to release the TV, on the back there is a small L-shaped bracket on top that has to be turned 90 degrees and then you lift the TV out of bracket. Thanks for all reponses.
ranman2553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Anyone replace the plate system with an articulating arm to provide more flexibility with tv viewing?
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
Anyone replace the plate system with an articulating arm to provide more flexibility with tv viewing?
I though about doing that but it would make the tv stick out too far from the wall. Not good for folks in that dinette seat.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Did this last summer...a bugger to figure out! You need to long screw driver to unscrew the top cap/block as mentioned earlier, behind the tv. From the top side down behind with a light, you should be able to see what we are talking about. I went thru these contortions with mine, thinking I would replace with little larger smart TV also, only to find out the one I had purchased protruded to much in the back where the mount was, and I could not get it to fit as flush as the original. I put it all back together but this time, I did not install the locking block. I plan to replace at some point, but finding the right rear packaging on the "new" replacement that will fit is my challenge. Post pictures if you can as you go so we can all see!
Part of the challenge was finding the tv with best fit. At the time the only 32” smart tv we could find was Samsung QLED. With that and a standard mount (four bolt, 100mm spacing) it worked well.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
I though about doing that but it would make the tv stick out too far from the wall. Not good for folks in that dinette seat.

We removed the bench seating and have custom cabinets in place. I keep looking at small arms for my planned tv upgrade.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Part of the challenge was finding the tv with best fit. At the time the only 32” smart tv we could find was Samsung QLED. With that and a standard mount (four bolt, 100mm spacing) it worked well.
I want to go at this again; which model # did you get, if you remember? It ain't like there are a "lot" of dealers with this size TV anymore...heck, you can a 60"+ for less money it seems! But with limited space, I still would like to get a larger unit. Replacing the "mount" seems requirement. Today, I still use the Firestick to make my TV "smart"'; but it sticks out a bit into the hall with our 28'. The Samsung model I got from Amazon, had a "protruded" electronic panel at the bottom, so it stuck out further than the one I was replacing. Hard to tell from descriptions on line what real thickness is and how back plastic packaging/molding may stick out.

Anyone else done this mod on the 28'? If so, what is largest TV/model/ etc. you used...and if you have pics, appreciate the info!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-02-2023, 05:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
I want to go at this again; which model # did you get, if you remember? It ain't like there are a "lot" of dealers with this size TV anymore...heck, you can a 60"+ for less money it seems! But with limited space, I still would like to get a larger unit. Replacing the "mount" seems requirement. Today, I still use the Firestick to make my TV "smart"'; but it sticks out a bit into the hall with our 28'. The Samsung model I got from Amazon, had a "protruded" electronic panel at the bottom, so it stuck out further than the one I was replacing. Hard to tell from descriptions on line what real thickness is and how back plastic packaging/molding may stick out.

Anyone else done this mod on the 28'? If so, what is largest TV/model/ etc. you used...and if you have pics, appreciate the info!
I think the tv model is the 32” version of Q50. That being 2 years ago I’m sure all of this changed. It was the only thing that fit.
However I’m wondering if a larger tv with an articulating mount would work if you could lift it up and put it diagonal in the corner when not being watched. Of course the you have to push it out of the way to access the cabinet.
Another thing to consider if securing the tv for transit. Our Samsung is heavier than the $30 el cheapo tv that came with the trailer. It hasn’t fallen off the wall yet.��
I didn’t think of it back then but the boss probably wouldn’t have gone for it��

I’ve been under the weather the last few days but I’ll try to go out to the trailer & take some pics soon.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:33 PM   #11
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Hisense @ costco

Just did this replacement when My old Samsung failed, Found A Hisense 32 In
"Smart" TV AT COSTCO for $99.95. It is a 720 P unit but that should be good enough for the RV. 32 in was about as far as you can go without sticking out in the aisle. The Samsung was a 29 in.

Its mounting holes were oriented 90 degrees from the Samsung so had to drill and tap the mounting block to fit the new TV. New mounting blocks are available but they cost almost as much as the TV. Also cables needed to be rerouted a little but as the new TV has the connections in different places than the Samsung it replaced. This was not a problem as there was plenty of extra cable inside the wall.

My Samsung just stopped turning on so I guess the power supply went bad but I figured it was cheaper to replace than repair it.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I think the tv model is the 32” version of Q50. That being 2 years ago I’m sure all of this changed. It was the only thing that fit.
However I’m wondering if a larger tv with an articulating mount would work if you could lift it up and put it diagonal in the corner when not being watched. Of course the you have to push it out of the way to access the cabinet.
Another thing to consider if securing the tv for transit. Our Samsung is heavier than the $30 el cheapo tv that came with the trailer. It hasn’t fallen off the wall yet.��
I didn’t think of it back then but the boss probably wouldn’t have gone for it��

I’ve been under the weather the last few days but I’ll try to go out to the trailer & take some pics soon.
Thanks! Appreciate the help. I can see replacing the mounting bracket with something else like an extension articulating mount, but don't want to stick out beyond currant TV and mount if I can help it. First, need to get a real skinny TV! I know there are some out there in larger models...got to be a 32" somewhere...or maybe a 34? I can move/replace the mount..
Old 02-05-2023, 10:18 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
40"

Quote:
Removed the 24" in the bedroom, replaced it with the 32" from the dining area and replaced it with a new 40" smart TV. Bought a new articulated mount that also spins 90 degrees for storage so it doesn't get in the way, as it extends beyond the wall a few inches.
Dick tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick tracy View Post
Removed the 24" in the bedroom, replaced it with the 32" from the dining area and replaced it with a new 40" smart TV. Bought a new articulated mount that also spins 90 degrees for storage so it doesn't get in the way, as it extends beyond the wall a few inches.

Photos of the work and info on the articulated mount if available. Interested in how you got a 40” tv to work - without creating an obstruction into galley area. Thanks
Old 02-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Photos of the work and info on the articulated mount if available. Interested in how you got a 40” tv to work - without creating an obstruction into galley area. Thanks
Likely not as much of an issue with the 27' or 25' vs the 28', which I have, With the dinette seating.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:55 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Had to offset the mount to the inside an inch or two. When not in use, i rotate it 90 degrees vertically so it is out of the way.
Trailer is in the shop, dont have pics.
It is worth noting screen sizes 40" and less are too small to take noticeable advantage of 4k.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Had to offset the mount to the inside an inch or two. When not in use, i rotate it 90 degrees vertically so it is out of the way.
It is worth noting screen sizes 40" and less are too small to take noticeable advantage of 4k.
I hear that! Also, the extra expense on that small screen does not make sense...however, there is always the "projector" receiver and portable screen you could bring along and put up outside...like for an "important game" comming up?!

(but that might require adding a popcorn machine, a keg, and more chairs for the neighbors...assuming you also have enough "payload" to carry extra "stuff"!
Old 02-07-2023, 12:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:

Look forward to seeing your setup at a later time. Txs
Old 02-07-2023, 10:34 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Quote:
I hear that! Also, the extra expense on that small screen does not make sense...however, there is always the "projector" receiver and portable screen you could bring along and put up outside...like for an "important game" comming up?!

(but that might require adding a popcorn machine, a keg, and more chairs for the neighbors...assuming you also have enough "payload" to carry extra "stuff"!
I did it for the smart tv apps and of course the bigger picture
Old 02-08-2023, 06:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
I finally got out to the trailer in storage. Here are a few pics. One shows the Samsung model number, and another is a top down view behind the tv showing the L- bracket that captures the tv in place. I used a small ratchet & socket to loosen the horizontal screw to get the L-bracket out of the way. The tv then lifts up & out of the mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B51CEFB0-120E-4F3A-A149-86FA3568E6B9.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	427927   Click image for larger version

Name:	C8388CA6-2706-4818-A610-42E26549F185.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	427928  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4C4CF9F8-EE46-4962-A4BC-3E7320990686.jpg