RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

2018 28' International
Shell Beach , California
TV - Getting weak or no signal

2018 International
Samsung TV;s

Getting a weak or no signal message now with both cable and antenna modes in both TVs. Confirmed it's not the TV as we used a Firestick via Wifi and can get shows. Hooked up to another cable source to make sure it wasn't the site we are staying in and it made no difference.

Ideas?
Perry Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
In tv mode you need the amplifier light on. In cable mode turn off. If you are not getting a green light when using antenna mode check for a fuse or possibly a bad connection at the built in amplifier.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Perry Judd, I am having the same issue, and there is only a very weak signal for the radio (JL). Another recent post mentioned getting help and a replacement part from Wineguard.
We are not television people, but I would love to get some radio. I’ll watch your progress and maybe see if Wineguard can offer some ideas myself.
Good luck!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Vineland , New Jersey
Trying to get the TV to work with an outside antennaThat I hooked up to the cable Can

My antenna on top of my 2015 flying cloud itís not strong enough to pick up the TV stations so I have an outdoor antenna
I hooked up and try to run it through the cable connection on the outside of the camper
I tried to Scan the channels on the cable source But the TV does not pick up any channels
tested the cable connection with another TV outside the camper and it works fine
I had done it six months ago and I canít remember what Iím doing wrong
Thanks Dave
Flowers780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers780 View Post
My antenna on top of my 2015 flying cloud itís not strong enough to pick up the TV stations so I have an outdoor antenna
I hooked up and try to run it through the cable connection on the outside of the camper
The cable connection on the outside goes to an input on the "antenna booster" next to the TV. The other input is the roof antenna.
But, the booster switches the input in addition to boosting the roof antenna.
So if you are connecting to the outside cable, do not engage the booster, thus the light is off and the button out.
I'd verify by connecting your outside antenna to your TV by running a coax in the door for a test.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Flowrs780, I’m going to start with a description of the system in my 2020 23FB FC. You’ll see why.
I have a King Omni Pro mushroom antenna on the roof, connected to a a Winegard power injector wallplate beside the telly. The other wallplate input is a coax from the outside cable jack. There’s an output to the telly and another to the JL marine head unit (radio tuner which powers the speakers).
I’ve never gotten acceptable reception, radio or TV. I called WInegard, and they told me the antenna is not theirs. I called King, who told me that those antennas are limited, because digital broadcast signals are very directional because there’s no way a 360 degree element can be robust enough to pull in faint signals. The antenna is not designed for FM, and forget about AM.
When the Airstream rep asked me about the whip antenna for the radio, I told him the trailer never had one. He consulted with an associate, who verified this but said my system is installed as Airstream intended, so there must be a damaged cable. I’m not about to put a bunch of elbow dents into the roof to take apart the antenna, so I scheduled a dealer service appointment for December.
If, as Mollysdad indicates, the Winegard wall plate switches between inputs, you could move the cable input to the antenna input and switch on the injector to try to get a boosted signal from your directional TV antenna hooked up to the cable jack outside.
On my own trailer, I don’t hold out much hope, between the lack of documentation, the hodgepodge of OEM’s, and the unfamiliarity of the Airstream people at JC and the dealer. It reminds me of the car stereos back in the 80’s, that the factory used to fill the hole in the dash until the buyer got fed up and got something mail order to install themself.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote