Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
TV came apart, replacement suggestion?

We’re the second owners of our 20FC. The original owners changed out the DVD player, added a second TV on the wall at the foot of the bed… truth be told, we haven’t used the TV but once, just isn’t something we do when we camp.

However, if something doesn’t work, I want to fix it. So…
Our previous month’s trip, on our last leg, coming back home…. We got up that morning, pulled onto the interstate, drove until we got home, backed into the driveway…. Didn’t have any incidents, just usual gas stops, etc., but… once home, opened the door to begin unloading stuff, and found that the TV that is mounted above the refrigerator had come apart: the face and front half of the surround trim had separated from the back half, splitting the TV in half, with the screen at 90 degrees, facing the top of the fridge. I put it back upright and snapped it back together, but, alas, upon trying to turn it on, it just had a blank screen. Anymore, it’s cheaper to replace a TV than to repair one, so….

I don’t need an expensive TV, we’ll rarely use it, but, is there a particularly tough TV that might be better suited to being installed in a travel trailer? Suggestions? Thoughts? Things to avoid?
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Since you already have another TV, install a spice rack or bulletin board.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Yeah, thanks for that suggestion, and I’d be fine with that, but….

If ever the granddaughter tags along, she may be the one who might actually use the TV, so, the but is that the wife already asked me to go ahead and replace it… (We do have the little white board across from, and she has organized her spice storage in the cupboard already…. )

Thus, I’m seeking suggestions for an inexpensive, but more durable replacement…
WBCCI #1051
Old 08-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Before it disintegrated, what brand of TV was in your FC? We've had both Samsung and LG TV's in our Airstreams and neither have shown any signs at all of coming apart.

Maybe you just had a lemon TV. I doubt there's much difference in durability among the various brands, especially at the price point I suspect you're interested in.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:03 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Dump the second TV. If the kid ever comes along, it's a good bet that your TV coverage will not be adequate to keep up a reasonable entertainment level..... off to streaming on a tablet.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nixa , Missouri
I put in a 24 inch Vizio. Seems to be holding up.
Dlongworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
We upgraded the living area tv with a new 32 Samsung 4 years ago and moved replaced the Bedroom tv with the one that was in the living area - we have never had an issue with either one. These TVs are pretty simple inside but if you can not find a broken cable I think the best option is a new TV.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
One thing we noticed upgrading both front and rear TVs is weight. We went new Samsungs and they were fortunately pretty light on their feet and thin (less mass tugging at the mounts while underway).

Just a thought since most UHD 32” +- flat screens are closely matched these days.
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 10 spd 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
A few things to consider:

Any name brand tv should be fine
Make sure you get a "smart tv"
Check to see if it has any/enough inputs in case you need to connect accessories
Make sure the inputs are on the side of the tv nearest the outlets
See if the tv has controls on the tv, not just the remote. Some only have a power-on button.

Other than that, have at it
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Gee Wally, ours developed a habit of coming apart (partially) in our 20 tho not to your extent. Ours was just the front trim piece that would pop open, never the screen falling out/down. I had some black duct tape and edged it. It's been 2 years.

I'll also I dialed back our PSI to the lower latitudes of around 70-72 from 76. That combined with newer settings on the hitch (less WD forward) has maintained the status quo. Over time I've also had a few rivets pop in that area as well as the door panel of the refer, come loose and slide down. I fixed that more permanently a few weeks ago with some fresh glue and a few short brads hidden behind the top and bottom trip pieces.

Good luck Leslie

p.s.

"Things to avoid?" a partial list...Hwy 101 from San Juan Batista/Gilroy NB and I 680 thru Walnut Creek. as well as I-10 E of Beaumont" . Only partially kidding.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Leslie, I forgot to mention that I've always felt the TV directly above the tire (on the 20) probably contributed mostly to the the TV coming apart, the refer door panel failure and the rivets directly above the TV being ongoing maintenance as opposed to location in other units.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jensen tv

Search the web for Jensen TVs for marine environment. The 12 volt units have sealed electronics so that they are not affected by moisture or the salt air. I bought a 23" model 8 years ago and it has a clear picture. I wired it straight to the 12 volt power going to the refrigerator and put it on an articulating arm on the wall next to the refrigerator..
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I was quoted a price of $1200 for a replacement TV for my Airstream about a year ago. Televisions in RVs apparently run on DC current; hence the not-so-cheap cost to replace.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
When we first experienced the trim popping off maybe 3 years ago, i looked into replacing our AC unit with a DC, to pair with the new tailgater/wally. Jenson 12VDC was about it. Great reviews too. Tape on and trim stabilized and haven't looked back as we don't do much boon docking and generally have 110 VAC. Lately been utilizing a 16 gb flash drive with music in the stereo.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Thanks all...

A) It's a Samsung. No idea if it was what originally came in that location, or if the PO had replaced it.

B) I'll admit, hadn't considered the 12v issue... I'll have to check the TV for a model number and see. (I'm thinking about where it plugs in, if it is into an inverter outlet or not... I'm thinking not, but will double-check before I consider any purchase.)

C): truth be told, if I 'really' did what I want to do, I'd put in a bigger fridge that has a bigger freezer there. But, that would get into, not only replacing a functioning fridge, but custom cabinetry to hold such... replacing a tv would be a lot cheaper.

D) I'll admit, maybe if I spend a little time looking in it, I might luck up and get it to work before I replace it... but, I'm not expecting it to just be a quick fix, thus why I'd already started mulling what to replace it with...

Again, input has been appreciated! This isn't a high-priority project, might be a bit before I make it through resolution, but will post back. Any other recommendations will still be appreciated... I can always mull over other advice!

Best,
WBCCI #1051
Old 08-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I was quoted a price of $1200 for a replacement TV for my Airstream about a year ago. Televisions in RVs apparently run on DC current; hence the not-so-cheap cost to replace.
Hi

The tv's that Airstream puts into all the trailers and vans are 120V. They are no different than what you might use at home (other than being a bit small). They hop between brands so there is no way to know which brand you might have in this or that year / model.

A direct replacement for the stock TV should be < $200 from just about anyplace you went to buy it. Amazon has a lot of choices. Your local store may not stock anything small enough anymore.

A lot of folks *do* go with 12V TV's. That lets you watch TV without turning on the inverter. Since the inverter gobbles up almost as much power as some of these TV's the battery is much happier with a 12V device.

A randomly selected example of a 12V TV:

https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JE2414...tronics&sr=1-4

Is $269 (renewed)

This one is a bit smaller / simpler:

https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JTV19D...tronics&sr=1-1

It's $220 (new).

Not clear just what the dealer thought he was selling ....

A full up install, with a new mount, new antenna, cabling, power and the works would be a bit pricey. That's a long ways from a replacement for an existing TV.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Leslie,

The wife and I are very similar to you in your "need" for a tv. We have one and we have upgraded it a bit but only because we do enjoy watching the local newscast when we are on the road. It is informative and also entertaining to get a bit of the local feel when you are in the middle of nowhere, USA.

That said, you will find lots of options and because yours will be smaller than the large screen things, the prices should be low enough not to give you heart palpitations. I am a fan of Samsungs. Just get a regular tv and don't worry about the 12 volt options. If you watch A LOT of tv, avoiding the inverter makes sense. But for folks like you and me, these very few occasions are not worth the cost. When needed I will just crank up the generator.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #18
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Bamboozled ?

Quote:
A little recognized fact - LED TVs operate on DC current and all models have a converter installed between the AC cord and the electronics that operate all other aspects of the device (most models have it inside the casing).

The larger the screen size the higher the voltage required; 22-24" operate around 14volts - 32" at 19v. Samsung made a few models in the under 32" size with an outboard converter on the cord which allowed for an easy install directly into 12v RV circuitry by bypassing the converter. All these TVs were under $200 and Costco sold theirs for under $100.

Surprise, sales people may not always have your best interests at heart.

Here is an example of what the power cord looks like:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254659663603

All you need do is install this style cord instead:
http://www.bixnet.com/12vdcto19vdc.html

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
A few might have a 12v. TV but in general they're 120v. just like at home. For $1200, I'd expect a 60"

If I were to replace my Airstream's TV, I'd look to Samsung or Visio.
You can buy a 24" Visio for around a hundred bucks. 1080P.

Modern TV's have a standard mounting option called a VESA mount. In a small TV it might be 100mm x 100mm
hole spacing.

I'd look for one that had an audio out, like a fiber or headphone jack or even a RCA digital audio out in case I wanted to tie it to the stereo or a sound bar. Since stores make it hard to see the back, I download the manual and glance at the in/out.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Seemore - There is so much conflicting information about the televisions in ASs - so thanks so much for clarifying this! Nice to know what the workaround is when I need to replace a TV.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote