Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: TV Antenna - Would you replace or remove it?
Replace it? 26 61.90%
Remove it? 16 38.10%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer

Why as someone above stated would the aluminum be "rotted" away under the mounting flange? The flange is aluminum too is it not?
I do not recall ever reading about erosion around or under the antenna mounting flanges. But there's alot I don't know.
I have a picture of the underside of our skyliner, inside the trailer. The rotted aluminum skin is very obvious in the photo, the aluminum will corrode away before the pot metal antenna base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 309.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	63943  
Old 07-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Lets assume that it is after the Feb.2009 deadline..........the 70's era antenna useless or ........for hanging panties out.
Now you've done it! Now that might wife realizes that is good for something useful she won't let me remove it.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Nice thread

Hello again everyone, I removed mine on my 71 safari and wished I had left well enough alone. I posted in parts needed and had a forum member reply and offer an antenna for replacement. I cant wait to install it. I am wandering if I can convert to coax and use the old 2 strand to pull the new coax with and if I can infact change it at the antenna. Thanks Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
All over-the-air TV broadcasts, analog or digital, are sent through the air by TV stations transmitting energy waves in an assigned specific frequency range band for that service.

Analog TV and Digital TV signals are broadcast on frequencies that are very close together. So close together that older analog TV antennas will receive digital TV signals just fine, as long as there are not mitigating factors such as mountians, lowlands, or obstructions that block the signal.

The biggest difference receiveablilty factor between the older analog TV signals and the new digital TV signals is that stations will stop broadcasting the analog signal in 2009.

If you have an older TV, it will not receive the new digital signal without a seperate digital receiver box.

If you have an older over the air antenna, hooked to a newer digital TV, you will be fine, as long as you are not to far from the transmitting tower.

After 2009, old TV, old antenna, no reception

After 2009, old TV, Converter box, old antenna, good reception

After 2009, new digital TV, old antenna, good reception

After 2009, new digital TV, Dish/Direct TV, good reception
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow

Thanks to all for the TV signal / reception explanations.
I am told that there are no such things as 12 volt converter boxes and none are in the works. This seems so strange that some company doesn't fill that need. Or is there some reason the technology won't work with batteries?

Terry;
I see what you mean about the corrosion. I guess the dis-similar metals are the culprit. Why in the world did the factory not see that coming...?
Could you please ID the items in your picture. What is that horizontal angle with the holes in it up there in the attic? I'm guessing it is reinforcement, but what is it attached to? and did you put it there or the factory? Is there a matching one on other side of area also?
Also what are the two "rods" in the center under the roof? I guess one is the crank link is the other one romex? Where is the 300 ohm cable?
Did you remove the center ceiling panel all the way front to rear? I know it is a one piece sheet.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer
Terry;
I see what you mean about the corrosion. I guess the dis-similar metals are the culprit. Why in the world did the factory not see that coming...?
Could you please ID the items in your picture. What is that horizontal angle with the holes in it up there in the attic? I'm guessing it is reinforcement, but what is it attached to? and did you put it there or the factory? Is there a matching one on other side of area also?
Also what are the two "rods" in the center under the roof? I guess one is the crank link is the other one romex? Where is the 300 ohm cable?
Did you remove the center ceiling panel all the way front to rear? I know it is a one piece sheet.
The items in the photo are the logitudinal main bows, they run front to back the length of the roof. The rod is the crank for the new batwing antenna. We installed a piece of aluminum skin directly over the old corroded piece after cleaning most of the crap off. This was done shortly after we got Bertha, and I was not allowed on the roof. It has worked well, and I have decided since it works, and doesn't leak, I won't mess with it.
The cable you see is 75 ohm coax for the new antenna, I removed the center panel back to the bedroom. I had some trouble getting it back in its channel by myself, and the panel has a couple of ripples in it. A helper would be a must to do this without having this happen. The 300 ohm cable was completely replaced, and a new amplifier with cable input and antenna/cable output to two tv's was installed when I had the anel down.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I would replace it. With a newer more low-profile antenna.I'm told that the old antenna will receive digital sigs just fine but you will need the box.
Thanks for the tip on LG Howie.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Grand Junction , Colorado
Outer skin corrosion

The AS skin is a clad aluminium, just like we used in designing fighter aircraft. In the aircraft industry, we always coated aluminium castings with zinc chromate as a finish.
GJ Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Replace it - only cost twice as much as repairing the original.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Replace it - only cost twice as much as repairing the original.
While that sounds like a lot, it's currently only a bit over $100, if you shop carefully.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Oh My that looks Yucky Terry good thing ya caught it. and GJ EXCELLA is that the stuff that makes the interior of an aircraft fuselege look GREEN?
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yes Sir, there was a lot of that green on F-4s in vietnam and all aircraft built by McDonnell Aircraft in the day. I think it is probably not environmentally safe any longer.
GJ Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Valley Village , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro View Post
I am wandering if I can convert to coax and use the old 2 strand to pull the new coax with and if I can infact change it at the antenna. Thanks Robert
I would like to know the answer to this too. My inner walls have been removed so I don't need to fish out the 2 strand but I would like to know if I could/should upgrade to coax and how I can connect it at the antenna. Anybody know?
amalgamator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Removed it and patched the hole. Like the new look, don't watch TV anyway and it makes it easier to get under low hanging tree limbs. We like to boondock. Now I do need to replace the missing radio antenna and may add a J pole for the 2 Meter on a fiberglass mast.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalgamator View Post
I would like to know the answer to this too. My inner walls have been removed so I don't need to fish out the 2 strand but I would like to know if I could/should upgrade to coax and how I can connect it at the antenna. Anybody know?
You just need one of these. I'd replace the antenna connection screws with new brass or stainless ones. Last time I looked Lowes had these - I'm sure Radio Shack would

RCA Indoor Matching Transformer 75 to 300 Ohm Balun Gold Antenna TV Video Coaxial Cable Twin Lead for Off-Air Signal Component Connection Adapter / Converter, Bulk: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video, Satell
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Valley Village , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
You just need one of these. I'd replace the antenna connection screws with new brass or stainless ones. Last time I looked Lowes had these - I'm sure Radio Shack would

RCA Indoor Matching Transformer 75 to 300 Ohm Balun Gold Antenna TV Video Coaxial Cable Twin Lead for Off-Air Signal Component Connection Adapter / Converter, Bulk: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video, Satell
Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping for... Easy-peasy!
amalgamator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, television