Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
Trick Your Airstream

Hi Everyone,

Help me Pimp Up My Airstream. I have a 66' Caravel - 17 footer. In the front of the trailer is an overhead cabinet. I'm thinking of installing an entertainment system in the cabinet.

What should I buy?

Should I buy a MacBook to play DVD, Music and WiFi?
What kind of speakers did you buy?
Should I buy an iPod but I understand you can't hook it up to a TV?

How did you pimp up your trailer with consideration to space?

Thanks
Karen
WBCCI #11508
Seattle, WA
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Nothin wrong with gadgets and gizmos, but in my 71 and 73 all I did was put in a FM/ CD palyer. The 35 year old speakers still work great. I added a small pair of speakers that I can set up outside. Maybe some day I will put in a small flat screen. Right now I just have a 13" TV and a portable DVD player. After all it's a camper!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Superfly

Oh, an Ipod is a must, Direct connected to a Kenwood MP235. added power amp and altec sub woofer. Alpine main speakers. LCD Flat Panal TV.
Oh, and neon, plenty of NEON a zoot suit, wide brim hat and wolf whistle horn.

Superfly.....

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pimpfr1web.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	38636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pimprrjpg.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	38637  

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I hope you guys don't park next to me at the next rally
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Nice, superfly!

I stole the old 6x9s out of the back of my Bronco and stuck them in the front speaker locations, and then installed an Alpine deck up there. It has an aux out, so I can plug in my laptop, ipod, or just listen to the radio or CDs (not that I have any of those now that I have the ipod). Then we just bring the laptop for TV. It has aPinnacle PCTV box that plugs into the USB port which lets me plug into cable TV if available at the park and watch on the laptop as well. And it all hides away like nothing has changed since 1968

Oh, and I think you can hook a video ipod up to a TV, it uses one of those connectors like videocameras use. Read up on that one a bit more.

Now pimp that baby out and we'll see you at the next rally!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Ipod

Yeah, you can use a video IPOD as a video source and play back on the TV. I downloaded a copy of Handbrake to rip my dvd's onto a laptop, then used iTunes to get them on the IPOD. The quality is much better than trying to view them on my laptop. Handbrake has refused to copy one dvd, the second Pirates. It takes 1-3 hours to rip a copy, so start it up and go to bed. A 3 way cable from some VCR Cameras will hook the IPOD to a TV but the colors are all mixed up. The Red or the white is the video, just experiment by starting a movie on the IPOD then try the plugs into the TV's video. When you find a winner, the remaining two are for audio.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Speed channel

By the way, I think the Speed Channel is doing a Unique Whips fixer upper to Pamela Lee Anderson's Airstream on Wednesday, June 20th.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Check THIS out!!!

Karen -

Like the 'pimp' thread.... If you want real world mods/ upgrades, that add real value and livability to an already good trailer - check out the "Classic 28" thread that John has going....

All upgrades are terrific, easy, most are cheap, and all add livability. His documentation is 1st class, for us visual learners!

Enjoy

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
I believe Pamela painted her AS white and there's a stripper pole installed in the middle of her bedroom.

Looks like I need to go shopping if the iPod can plug into a TV. So many electronic choices. Then do I want a laptop to have Internet access???

So many choices - Limited funds. ~ Dang it ~
WBCCI #11508
Seattle, WA
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is why I went with the laptop in place of a tv. It displays very well, and it's portable for running into town and checking email at Starbucks. Plus, if you're ripping your DVDs to your laptop, then you don't need the extra step of putting them on your pod.

Where would you mount the TV in the Caravel? I have considered mounting a small flatscreen below that front cabinet, that could fold up out of the way when not in use, or hiding one inside the cabinet so you could slide the doors open to see it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Karen -

Like the 'pimp' thread.... If you want real world mods/ upgrades, that add real value and livability to an already good trailer - check out the "Classic 28" thread that John has going....

SilverToy
Did a search on Classic 28, but need more info - or a link . . .
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Oh, it's there!

Spiffy -

Try that search again - came up immediately when I typed that - try cap-ing the "C"...

That thread will provide hours of great reading!!!

Worth the search!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
OK - This one? http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...8-a-17610.html
Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I, like Karen, hope to tap into the expertise of fellow members to learn about the latest technology with regard to installed electronic entertainment systems.

Clearly, I could just go down to the local Airstream dealer and observe the electronics Airstream installs in the new TT’s, but is that the best on the market? Is that what the sound pros would have installed?

If a person wants an integrated DVD player, CD player, mp3, TV tuner, AM/FM radio, iPod ready system with front access for the iPod connection, what’s the best make and model option out there?

And what about speakers: what’s the best make and model out there that is made to handle the harsh heat/cold and travel vibration?

And what about the TV display (14 -19 inches).

Assume all work off 12 volts (I don’t want to run my generator to watch a Boise State football game while boon-docking).

I know some have bought less-than-ideal because of cost. I too work with a budget, but I would still like to gain an understanding of the latest stuff, without specific budget limitations. Hey, maybe I scale back somewhere else so I can upgrade my entertainment system!

Calvin
Old 06-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #15
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hey Artstream,

I love the light layout!

How did you do the electrical so that your tail lights, markers are illuminated without being connected to the tow vehicle?

This is something that I've always been intrigued by.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Old 06-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
MacBook Pro

I definitely like the idea above of using a MacBook Pro. They have screens as large as 17 inch and come with a remote so that you can watch movies with Apple's "Front Row" user interface.

You just download movies, tv shows and music from iTunes when you are connected to the Internet and then kick back and watch them with your little remote. Not to mention the fact that you can also play DVDs.

If you need some entertainment in the tow vehicle while driving you can sync your iPod with your MacBook Pro and then use the iPod to enjoy some vintage airstream podcasts...
dmroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroot
I definitely like the idea above of using a MacBook Pro. They have screens as large as 17 inch and come with a remote so that you can watch movies with Apple's "Front Row" user interface.
So, does it have a tuner in it, allowing me to hook up my TV antenna and get local TV station broadcasts?

How much does a MacBook Pro costs? What is their life-cycle (how long before they have to be replaced)?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
You want to pimp a vintage Airstream? Call the aluminum police!
Seriously. I have a MacBook Pro and a Video Ipod. I use the MacBook Pro to load the Ipod with music and video. I have my iPod attached to my TV. I mostly watch video podcasts. DVDs come through the player in Sony head unit. AS installed a full Sony Audio Video system. The sound is good. the video is fair.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
You can get an external USB tuner.
My last Mac Laptop lasted about 3.5 years. It went everywhere, Airlines, Truck Car. I venture it has well over 100,000 miles on it. It has even been rolled! (in a vehicle)

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
As 'thecatsandI' said, you would need an external usb TV tuner to tune into live TV. The MacBook Pro doesn't have that integrated. But we download shows a season at a time (Lost, The Office) and then watch them as we want to commercial free. Of course doing it that way you need to pay for them on iTunes .

You can see the systems and prices at www.apple.com

Happy viewing!
dmroot is offline   Reply With Quote