Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Working on it myself!!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Snarky is an ill-appreciated art form.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
TV could mean anything.....tunnel vision, terminal velocity, technical view, travel voucher, tricuspid valve, threshold voltage, time variance, Tualatin Valley (in Oregon)...

Yes, I visited the acronym site. I can't believe how many definitions there were for TV.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Most of us.

When you turn on a Samsung, the red light blinks and then the set comes on. The TV plays one bar of music. There is no green light on the newer ones. Go through the menu and check for antenna or cable and select whatever is appropriate for you. Check also that the TV speakers are turned on unless you have it attached to the trailer speakers. For sound through the trailer speakers, you have to turn on the radio and it will find the TV setting (except it hasn't worked for years on ours except for DVD's so I just use the TV speakers for TV programming).

On the one in our trailer, there are 2 places to attach the cable—one for antenna and one for cable. I got some short pieces of coaxial cable and screwed each into the two antenna/cable inputs, attached a splitter to them and them screwed that into the trailer system. That was you don't have to switch the trailer cable every time you have a different input. The trailer system may be screwed into the cable system rather than the external antenna on the roof. That could be your problem.

If there is no red light on the set, check the breakers.

Gene
Thank you. So far all I have is a red light indicating power. It goes off when I unplug it. I will check breakers, radio connection, etc.
wscampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
I actually like being a bit snarky. I also enjoy saying the word. Snarky. 😝
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscampo View Post
Thank you. So far all I have is a red light indicating power. It goes off when I unplug it. I will check breakers, radio connection, etc.
If you have a red light on the TV and you cannot get to the TV menu, then your issue is with the TV. I had one go out just like that; only the red light, couldn't get anything to work. I think you need to head to Best Buy for a replacement unless you want to spend $$$ for TV repair. If it's large you might want to consider a repair shop, otherwise, it's cheaper to replace it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
The small frame around our TV unsnaps on the road and the Samsung will not turn on until I snap the boarder or small surrounding trim back on. Our original TV was replaced under warranty and this does the same thing now.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscampo View Post
If you've got power to the television (aka TV ) and the red light is on, then there is no point to check the breakers. Did you solve the mystery yet? Dead remote batteries?
Old 10-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

My trailer is fairly remote and I was mistaken about having AAA batteries. Therefore, I will be prepared to check that next trip before bringing the tv in for replacement.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
If you've got power to the television (aka TV ) and the red light is on, then there is no point to check the breakers. Did you solve the mystery yet? Dead remote batteries?

Thanks again, I will report back.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We have a 46" Samsung in our brick-and-mortar house. I had a similar "power on" problem, and it turned out to be some bad capacitors. I found a repair guy on Angie's List who repaired it for something like $100.00. You can Google the issue of Samsung TV's and capacitors and find out how to do the repair yourself. The bad caps are pretty easy to spot, bulging, etc. If you have good soldering skills you can probably do this yourself. I think this is a known Samsung issue.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Thanks. I am starting to think that is a good possibility. The trailer is fairly late model and in think the tv is original (2010). Also the Sony DVD and radio is connected and looks like original factory installation so I was trying to be sure it was not a mode selection issue.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
On my 2011 Flying Cloud 23FB, I experience a such similar issue.
In a normal situation: If you "turn on" your TV (either with the remote or with the on/off "front button") the "power on" sequence should be: 4 LED blinks (3 to 4 seconds period) after that time: image and sound.
Fail situation: Same "turn on" command, but the front red LED is always blinking and no sound either image. The "power up" sequence is not successful.

When this situation occur, I read on the internet that these Samsung TV suffer of a known problem: "leaking" cheap capacitor by premature aging. My TV was "born" in late 2010 according to the manufacturer label sick on the back.
In the internet they suggest to "heat" the back of the TV lower left corner near the AC line cord is plug (where the power supply is located) with a hair dryer for about 1 minute or 2. Surprise image and sound appear!

I bring my TV at home open it (screw at back) and visually check for bad capacitors (busted ends) and all of them seems OK.
I notice that a flat ribbon cable plug between the power supply board and the TV board was not fully engage into his socket. Push it in place and since that time "no power" on failure.
Hope this help.
Michel
Papou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
If you have a red light on the TV and you cannot get to the TV menu, then your issue is with the TV. I had one go out just like that; only the red light, couldn't get anything to work. I think you need to head to Best Buy for a replacement unless you want to spend $$$ for TV repair. If it's large you might want to consider a repair shop, otherwise, it's cheaper to replace it.
Yes, that was our conclusion, too, when we replaced the smaller with a larger on our 2012 ... known bad issues with the Samsung. They seem to age whether turned on or not!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad I have a 2007 Samsung. They used to make them better in the old days.

Snarky is a cool word, but what is better than Hetch Hetchy? I like tecolote, but that's Spanish (owl).

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
I think idroba might have it!!

This worked. I suppose the switch on the tv is out of order. I can now turn it on from the remote with fresh batteries. Thank you.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #37
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Take it out for a nice candle lit dinner, then a few drinks, then back out to the camper for a nightcap. Give it a good back rub. Gaze longingly into its flat screen... That'll turn it on.

O, just keep pushing buttons until it gives in...

Sorry, been wanting to do that since I first read the topic...

-Red, TV love doctor...
Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Oh boy, I won the prize! Made a lucky guess, I guess.

Seriously, sometimes the simple things are easy to overlook. Who remembers that the remote even has batteries, they work for years with one set.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote