Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Television 12 volt power use via inverter

How much power does the Television take at 12 volts?

I like to measure things, and have the equipment to do it in many cases. It has often been asked here how much power do things take from their battery. Here is some measurements I just did. I won’t bore you with the meters and stuff.

The Television is a Samsung 21” which came in my 2014 FC 20’. The DVD player is also a Samsung supplied with the trailer. The radio/sound system is the diabolical Sony which also was original.

The TV operates on 120 volts via a power supply velcro’ed to the rear of the set, which then supplies 14 volts DC to the TV via a special plug that is unique to the set. Thus, even if it would operate on 12 volts DC, I was not willing to modify the system to test it out.

The TV, on 120 volts grid power takes 20 watts with a stationary display test system I used. If that 20 watts came from 12.5 volts directly it would be 20/12.5 = 1.6 amps. (no inverter losses).

Since all inverters to produce 120 volts from 12.5 volts (realistic battery actual voltage) have conversion losses, I measured 3 different inverters and how many amps they took to run the TV.

The first inverter is a “modified sine wave” inexpensive Xantrex 400 watt unit. Cost was about $25 when I bought it.

The second is a Morningstar “true sine” 300 watt inverter costing about $225. It is the best small sine wave inverter I have found as it takes a minimal amount of stand by power, and also has a search function, which shuts it down until a 120 volt load is applied, then it automatically starts up.

The third inverter is the 1000 watt WFCO sine wave inverter which was an option I selected for my trailer when I ordered it. It works well, but has a very high stand by loss when running but no load is applied. Most all true sine wave inverters I have seen have similar high stand by losses, the Morningstar being the exception.

Results:

The Xantrex and the Morningstar inverters both required 2.1 amps to run the television. That means they were using 2.1 x 12.5 = 26 watts. (Watts = Amps x Volts).

So, there was a 6 watt penalty over line power of 20 watts for converting from 12 to 120 volts to supply the inverter losses. In amps, that is 0.5 amps extra.

The WFCO is a different story. To run the TV it took 3.73 amps or 3.7 x 12.5 = 46 watts. Over double the actual amount the TV requires on line power. In amps that is 1.6 amps more than the other inverters I measured.

The Samsung DVD player takes 4 watts on line power.

I put a DVD in and played a movie with very low TV speaker sound only.

Xantrex and Morningstar took 2.55 Amps or 32 watts for either one. So, the DVD added 6 watts via the inverter.

The WFCO took 3.85 Amps or 48 watts.

Then I turned on the 12 volt Sony radio sound system with the sub woofer, and figured out how to connect it to the TV (more head scratching, it is why I call it diabolical).

The Sony at 12 volts, the TV and the DVR together on the inverter, playing at moderate volume and powered by the Morningstar or Xantrex took 4 to 5 amps total. That depended on the volume and background music on “The Rose” video I had running. That is 50 to 67 watts drawn from the batteries. The WFCO would have increased that to 65 to 82 watts, or 5.3 to 6.5 amps.

Bottom line:

The TV operating on a cheep modified sine wave inverter, at low volume using the TV speakers does not take too much power. The Morningstar is very similar.

The same TV on the WFCO inverter takes a lot more for the inverter losses.

The TV plus DVD player and Sony Radio sound system can almost double the power with the modified sine wave or Morningstar inverter, and triple the power with the WFCO inverter.

Now you know more than you really care to know. LOL.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Pretty cool info.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Currently Looking...
Orleans , California
That IS pretty cool

Shawn

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I don't waste my time or money with inverters. 12VDC all the way.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Excellent information. That WFCO seems like a hog.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is not just the WFCO, but most pure sine wave inverters other than the Morningstar.

It seems to be a characteristic of the circuit design. Modified sine wave inverters are much lower in standby losses (current taken at very low loads and idle) than pure sine wave ones.

BTW, it is hard to find standby loss currents in the literature for a very large proportion of inverters. It is a number that is hidden or unstated, but I have measured enough or found the numbers often enough to be pretty confident of what I have said.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Great post!! I wonder how a magnum would shape up. maybe Lew will chime in
Old 07-29-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have checked the Magnum. Their web site gives the standby specs, which is good. They show a 2 amp draw with no load, which is typical for most pure sine wave inverters. Similar to the WFCO and many others.

As I have mentioned above, it appears to be an electrical design issue for pure sine wave inverters. I don't know how Morningstar gets around it, but their standby loss is 0.4 amps when left on full time, and if you use the search function, it is much less as the inverter is only on for one cycle per second, while it looks for a load.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
My Samlex advertises a idle power draw of less than 0.5 Amps, from my experience this would be accurate.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/product...l.aspx?pid=499
Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
My Samlex advertises a idle power draw of less than 0.5 Amps, from my experience this would be accurate.

600W 12VDC to 120VAC Pure Sine Inverter | PST-600-12
Yes, the spec sheet says <600 mA, which is 0.6 amps at 12 volts. Glad to see that they list the number. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Casper , Wyoming
Then I turned on the 12 volt Sony radio sound system with the sub woofer, and figured out how to connect it to the TV (more head scratching, it is why I call it diabolical).

So how did you connect the Sony Radio to the Dvd/ Tv audio? I have not been able to figure this out! It'd be nice to watch a movie with better sound. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Racheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bend , Oregon
I've been looking at 12 volt TV with built in DVD players and think this would be the way to go ! Anyone use one?
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racheli View Post

So how did you connect the Sony Radio to the Dvd/ Tv audio? I have not been able to figure this out! It'd be nice to watch a movie with better sound. Thanks!

On the Sony press "source" to get CD, then press "mode" to get CD2.

Then write it down, because it makes no sense and you will forget how to do it, like I do.

Diabolical, absolutely makes no sense.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I've been looking at 12 volt TV with built in DVD players and think this would be the way to go ! Anyone use one?
Yes, I've had one for several years and have been extremely satisfied. I'm also surprised at the number of people who waste money and energy using DC to AC converters.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Casper , Wyoming
On the Sony press "source" to get CD, then press "mode" to get CD2.

Then write it down, because it makes no sense and you will forget how to do it, like I do.

Diabolical, absolutely makes no sense.

Thank you. I tried it but still doesn't work. When I press CD 2 it says "no magazine". Any other tips? Thanks for your help with this diabolical sound system!

Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I just tried it again and on mine, even though it says "no magazine" on CD2, with the television on (not on mute BTW) and the DVD player providing the signal (no off air reception here) I get the television sound through the diabolical Sony.

So, all I can tell you is that mine works that way. You may need to raise the television volume, not sure if that might help.

I have never, ever, seen a more difficult and non intuitive system. I am very glad I almost never watch Television.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Casper , Wyoming
Okay I'll try that! Thanks again!

Old 08-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Casper , Wyoming
Guess what?? I got it working! The cord from the TV was plugged into the wrong outlet. I changed it to the audio out..I tried this once before but this time I jiggled the cord and it worked. I kept it on CD 2,
Yay so happy! Too bad it's almost end of our camping season. Thanks again!
Rachel

Old 08-16-2015, 12:30 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bend , Oregon
Ditto that
derf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt