Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Surround Sound Doesn't Work

We disconnected and stored our Samsung LCD TV, in our home, when we winterized the trailer last October. We were not able to disconnect and store the Sony receiver so it stayed in the trailer. Last night, we hooked the TV back up and went to watch a DVD in the Samsung blu-ray player. We cannot get the audio to play on the surround sound system when playing a DVD. This was something we were able to do last year the couple of times we used the trailer before putting it in storage for the long Winter here. We tried using the CD2 setting that the manual recommends for watching DVDs but it is not recognizing any input. Everything else will play on the surround sound system: radio, etc.

I have heard that settings are lost when you disconnected the battery??? Anyone have any ideas?
RedDogBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Can you play your tv in surround sound? When I had the problem it was both with the TV and the video. It turn out to be a bad plug which was replaced. I called my dealer and they helped me through the process of determining if the connection was bad.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Be sure and check which source the TV is tuned to. On my 2012 Intl one of the HDMI inputs is for the DVD player and the other, in my case, for satellite. Also make sure the source on the TV is indeed selected to one of the HDMI and not just "TV".

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
It looks like the TV settings are good. We found out the TV doesn't play through the receiver either so thinking it's a bad cable. Unfortunately, we don't have an airstream dealer up here so it's going to have to be a self-fix attempt or a wait until we bring it down for maintenance next summer. Thanks for the ideas.
RedDogBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
RedDogBullet

I have a 2012 25 Foot Flying Cloud so I am assuming we have a similar setup. I just ran through my procedures and this is how my system is set-up.

I tried my TV in TV mode and also Blu Ray mode. The surround sound will play whether or not your TV speakers are on or set to external speakers. My TV speakers are on and the surround sound speakers played fine.

I then checked my sound settings. I have my Virtual Surround setting on and SPDIF setting is set to PCM. I was told PCM had to be on but I did not check to see if surround sound would come on with the other setting.
If your settings are set like these and your Sony radio source is set to CD2 more then likely you have a bad cable.

With the assistance of a technician I did the following. I loosen the board on the side of the BluRay. Move the BluRay to the side and you will see an opening. There is a cable that runs from the BluRay to a connector. Trace the cable to the connector and disconnect it. It is a USB connection. You can plug it into the USB connector in front of the Sony Your surround sound should play. If it does it is more then likely the other wire is bad. It was in my case. Just be careful back there as it is like a bird's nest.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
Wait a second...

so the surround sound speakers can be used for the tv and playing a dvd?! I was told by the Airstream-certified tech during my walk-through for my 2012 Itl Sig 23D that the surround sound only played music, etc. from the little Sony mp3/radio player-we questioned it, but was told it is what it is.
So, just to be clear (haha), if we follow the above described settings than the tv should be able to heard through the surround system speakers? If there is any other detailed setting instructions, please let me know - up to now, we've been hauling our little Bose portable speaker so we could hear the tv over the AC, and it would be awesome not to have to do that anymore!
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Our Samsung TV and Blue Ray / DVD play through the Sony.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
I will be honest and say that I havent looked into this at all, so I am totally being a noob here. We recently purchased a used 06 19' International and I was wondering the same thing about playing the TV through the stereo speakers. I was surprised this wasnt part of the factory set up.

So, to the right of the fridge I have connectors for cable, 12V, satellite and I think phone. I have no RCA's or anything that would run from the TV to the Sony stereo. Does anyone know if there are RCA's prewired, or would I have to do a little wiring work to connect the TV to the stereo?

This would be great since I often stay up later than the wife and watch TV. With the A/C running, I have to turn it up fairly loud to hear it. It would be nice to be able to turn the over bed speakers off and just run the TV audio through the speakers over the dinette. I am sure I can pull this off myself if there is no existing wiring, but would prefer to skip the extra work if the wiring is already there.
netman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
I think we may have to get ours figured out by a dealer...we have friends with a 2013 23D Itl and htheir tv/dvd plays effortlessly through the speakers and even though they told us the settings, ours do not. We did exchange the TV for one that is slightly larger and thicker (bigger speakers), so that helps in the meanwhile.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
I'm posting kind of late-especially since we've since sold this trailer and purchased a larger one-but to follow up with our tv speaker issue: it turned out there was something wrong with the factory tv...JC replaced it and it was then able to connect through the speaker system with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
when I couldn't get the subwoofer to work, and getting nowhere with the dealer or the factory or the forum, I got the answer from an RV park neighbor in a similar Airstream. Unplug the connectors and plug them in again HARD. One of the connectors wasn't quite in all the way.