Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Speaker locations - hidden?

Hello all!

Got the 'New to me" trailer in the driveway and working my way thru it, cleaning, learning and such.

Question - has a Sony Head unit for the stereo. I turn it on and - nothing. So sound, no hum, nothing. Pulled the Head unit and there are wires for the speakers heading up in to the ceiling, now, where are the speakers?????

Unit is a '92 34fter Classic limited.

Looked all over and see no speakers or mounting holes ala cars. Was AS like Houdini and hid them on me?? They seem rather forward leaning on so many things, can hidden speakers be part of the grand AS plan?

Thanks for any and all info.

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Various spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
where are the speakers?????
Axel
I have one speaker in the end of an overhead cabinet, hidden behind the cloth. Two other speakers are hidden behind the curtains in the bedroom. The fourth speaker is in plain sight on the refrigerator cabinet.

Look for some extra space in the ends of overhead cabinets, behind the cloth trim. They also might be in the false-floor wiring space in the bottom of overhead cabinets pointing downward.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
BB King ROCKS!

Pahaska

Thanks for the reply on the speakers! Did find 2 like you mentioned, in the rear bedroom, behind the curtains.

The wires show 4 + and 4 Neg. wires going into the ceiling. Only can find the 2 speakers though. Wierd. Looked at ALL surfaces and behind couches and in the false floors. Still just the 2.

Might the unit be pre-wired for additional speaker? And if so, where?

Want to replace the Sony AM/ FM/Cass. with a AM/FM/CD. Any suggestions??

Any particular speakers that lend themselves ( not too deep, no buzz) in your experience?

Want to take advantage of the rather large CD collection. BB King ROCKS!

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Want to replace the Sony AM/ FM/Cass. with a AM/FM/CD. Any suggestions??

Axel
My 2003 came with a cassette/radio (built before the changeover to CD/radio). I just replaced it with a Kenwood that not only plays CDs, but also plays MP3 and WMA files. Cost me $189, delivered.

We have more than 1000 CDs here at the house and I have about 1500 songs in my laptop in WMA form. I am going to cut some CDs full of WMA files to carry in the trailer. That way, I can include only songs I like. Since I can get up to 7 hours on a CD, I don't have to carry very many CDs with me.

The Kenwood sounds great. Much crisper sound than the Sony I took out.

Sorry, I have run out f ideas as to where the other speakers could be hidden.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
In our '92, they are in the rear sides behind the curtains just aft of the side windows in the bedroom. You have seem to found those already.

The front are also behind the curtains, just aft of the front wraparound windows.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Hello all!

Got the 'New to me" trailer in the driveway and working my way thru it, cleaning, learning and such.

Question - has a Sony Head unit for the stereo. I turn it on and - nothing. So sound, no hum, nothing. Pulled the Head unit and there are wires for the speakers heading up in to the ceiling, now, where are the speakers?????

Unit is a '92 34fter Classic limited.

Looked all over and see no speakers or mounting holes ala cars. Was AS like Houdini and hid them on me?? They seem rather forward leaning on so many things, can hidden speakers be part of the grand AS plan?

Thanks for any and all info.

Ciao

Axel
I do know that Airstream has put in 4 speakers in the larger trailers since at least 1973.
As to where you can find your two other speakers, I have no idea. They are good at hiding them, though.
Good luck!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote