Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
So close but yet “no sound”

Well we finally had our new 2022 AS 25 International come to town FTB. The walk through was short because the workday was almost over for them.

Now half of them are out due to COVID and can’t help me - so thus my question here

The stereo works fine through all the speakers. The two tvs work fine using their own onboard speakers. But I can’t seem to figure out how to play the tv sound though the stereo system. It appears that something is hooked up to the aux input on the stereo but I’m not getting sound when I select this source. Any ideas?

I bet it’s something on the tv selection but haven’t found it. Thanks in advance!

Also PS:

Cabinets are really loud when we shut them. Slamming noise Tried to use a cabinet door stopper but no luck seems to come from the latch that grabs it.
Donho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:50 PM   #2
Freedom

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
Congratulations on your new Airstream.

I own a 2020 25 Foot Flying Cloud and I too never figured out how to play the TV sound through all the speakers. Hopefully we can both learn here.
2022 Ram 3500 Dually
WBCCI: 26506
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
On our 2018 , we set the stereo to AUX to get the television through the stereo speakers. It does not shut off the TV speakers like a soundbar system.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donho View Post
Well we finally had our new 2022 AS 25 International come to town FTB.

Cabinets are really loud when we shut them. Slamming noise Tried to use a cabinet door stopper but no luck seems to come from the latch that grabs it.
Was does FTB mean?

I put felt pads to the cabinet doors (where the door hits the cabinet when it's closed) and that makes them much quieter.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Prior to 2020(?) it was possible to route TV sound through the coach speakers because the factory had hacked the coach audio directly to the TV sound board. Since then, to the best of my knowledge, subsequent models no longer have that wiring setup. While some people have found fairly involved workarounds, my experience with different solutions all resulted in latency between the video and the coach speaker sound which makes the viewing experience pretty unsatisfactory.

I could hook up a soundbar to the TV but it's not worth it, IMHO. We just use the TV speakers and don't worry about it.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
2004 25' Safari
Williamsburg , Virginia
Set the stereo to AUX, turn up the volume.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Thanks all - I should have been more clear that the stereo is set to aux and cranked up but still no tv sound. I know something’s hooked up to the aux otherwise i would have the same msg I get on usb “no input found”. There has to be an input from the blue ray to it in order for a movie to play through them. Or an input from the tv to the stereo which would pick up all of its sources via “ext speakers” I would think?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet View Post
Set the stereo to AUX, turn up the volume.
Yeah, that doesn't work in the latest models.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:05 AM   #9
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
On my newer TV at home there is a setting in the audio menu which allows you to set the output. The choices are something like "internal speakers" or "line out", the second one being the choice if I want the sound to be sent to external speakers.

Check the audio section of your TV's setting menu and see if you have something similar to this.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:40 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
On my newer TV at home there is a setting in the audio menu which allows you to set the output. The choices are something like "internal speakers" or "line out", the second one being the choice if I want the sound to be sent to external speakers.

Check the audio section of your TV's setting menu and see if you have something similar to this.

External speakers have to be connected to the TV for them to work
Old 01-15-2022, 05:53 AM   #11
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
External speakers have to be connected to the TV for them to work
I thought it was mentioned that they were physically connected, just not working. If they are not connected then obviously that will need to be done first.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
All the methods recommended above failed to work on my 2020 International 23FB. I ended up buying a cheap Bluetooth dongle and plugging it into the audio port on the back of the television, then connecting to the stereo system via Bluetooth. It’s a bit of a pain, but it works well and there’s no noticeable lag between the picture and the sound.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Airstream used a variety of methods to get TV sound to the stereo. The problem is one brand of TV may have an audio out/headphone jack while another doesn't. I recall Airstream even tied leads to the TV speakers (bad idea) to get a signal to the stereo.
I think Richard5933 has the best solution, if there is one.

When people ask, "What should I ask the tech during my walkthrough?" I answer "Hand him a DVD and tell him to play it through the TV and stereo."
I'd look to see if anything is plugged into the TV's headphone jack (if it has one) Make sure the headphone jack is activated in the menu.
Basic troubleshooting requires you only change one thing at a time.
Try following the chain to the stereo.
Since my stereo has Clarion speakers, a soundbar is not a bad idea.

Remember when cars had a tape player where you'd tune the radio to 94.8 and that's where the tape audio was found? Nothing would surprise me.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:04 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Thanks all for the input here!

I am “assuming” there’s something connected to the stereo aux here (see comments above). But lines and stereo are all built in. To trace things I’ll pull the stereo out and map the wire size and color to the back of the tv. But I like that Bluetooth option - if no latency then that would work. I’ll order one and report back when I set it up.

When we did the walk through they showed the tvs on but didn’t have them running the sound through the speakers

I don’t see a rv sound output option that I can select internal vs external like my home unit. FYI.

Thanks again and thanks for the felt idea on the cabinet doors

More to come…
Old 01-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2022 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Instead of pulling the stereo, the first thing I'd check is the back of the TV(s) and see what connections there are. There will at a minimum be:
  1. A "cable" connection for the antenna/cable
  2. A power connection
  3. A HDMI connection for the DVD

If there is nothing else, then there is no path for the sound to go from the TV to the stereo.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
That is exactly what I’m finding for feeds from the back of the TV. Only an hdmi for video and audio. In fact to romper that tv off the wall I would have to pull the refrigerator to access the screws releasing the mount. No bueno! There’s available inputs but no outputs like audio. These tvs have no built in Bluetooth.

I had to slide my iPhone behind the tv and take a video so I could see things. The rear tv does release from the wall a little for an angle, but there’s no available outputs there.

I could upgrade the tv so I could have Bluetooth and/or extra audio out - plus smart rv but what a hassle! Not worth it.

Sad that AS doesn’t support this simple capability. My previous Lance 1575 had it and worked great. Well then this AS is going back!!! Nah just kidding
Old 01-17-2022, 08:55 AM   #17
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donho View Post
That is exactly what I’m finding for feeds from the back of the TV. Only an hdmi for video and audio. In fact to romper that tv off the wall I would have to pull the refrigerator to access the screws releasing the mount. No bueno! There’s available inputs but no outputs like audio. These tvs have no built in Bluetooth.

I had to slide my iPhone behind the tv and take a video so I could see things. The rear tv does release from the wall a little for an angle, but there’s no available outputs there.

I could upgrade the tv so I could have Bluetooth and/or extra audio out - plus smart rv but what a hassle! Not worth it.

Sad that AS doesn’t support this simple capability. My previous Lance 1575 had it and worked great. Well then this AS is going back!!! Nah just kidding
If there is HDMI for video and audio, where is it taking the audio if not the sound system?
Old 01-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2022 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If there is HDMI for video and audio, where is it taking the audio if not the sound system?
The HDMI cable connects to the DVD player which sends both Audio and Video over the cable. It's and input to the TV, not output.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
I have complained loud and long about this on the forum, and the best I could come up with was a converter between the Sony player and the JL MM50. The last time I tried to use it, NADA. I am worn down.
No reception for OTA TV or radio, either. The only love I got from A-S was "Take it back to the dealer for a warranty visit." Three hours away, scheduled 3 months out minimum... No thanks.
It's a design issue, plain and simple. The MM50 is a marine unit, with very wonky controls. I don't get salt spray inside my camper very often. Give me a straightforward home style system anyday.
And cheaping out on the Sony, no Bluetooth to play through the JL in lieu of a cable? How much did they save on that? And a cheap TV without even an audio out jack?
Somebody got their brother-in-law hired on at Jackson Center, for sure.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
And a cheap TV without even an audio out jack?
Somebody got their brother-in-law hired on at Jackson Center, for sure.
You'd be surprised. Very few TV's worry about outputs. Not only does it save money, but it saves space inside the housing, and circuitry. Going to a big box store and trying to look at the back of the unit is a waste of time, they're wall mounted and the salesperson doesn't know.
I've found that Sony, Samsung, and LG still have outputs, but not on all models (and there's a lot) If you're TV shopping, write down the model number and try to download the user manual.
HDMI may carry audio both ways if the receiver is capable.
https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdh7...000242753.html
The bottom line is there's no one simple answer. I'd bet the tech at the dealer doesn't know either since different Airstreams use different systems.
Trial and error, a good rainy day project.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote