Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2022, 09:04 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I love this feedback here! So next week I’ll have it in with the dealer to fix my “shake out” first trip issues. This is on the list. We will see what they say. I suspect “functions as designed”.

Also - let me add I was shocked to see these tvs are not 12v. So I have to flip on the inverter- a no no for book docking !

We are on the same page - why does AS cheap out on the this setup when they can spend just a few extra $ and confirm they are “da best “???

Maybe there is a brother in law connection
Donho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:21 AM   #22
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donho View Post
I love this feedback here! So next week I’ll have it in with the dealer to fix my “shake out” first trip issues. This is on the list. We will see what they say. I suspect “functions as designed”.

Also - let me add I was shocked to see these tvs are not 12v. So I have to flip on the inverter- a no no for book docking !

We are on the same page - why does AS cheap out on the this setup when they can spend just a few extra $ and confirm they are “da best “???

Maybe there is a brother in law connection
If you compare the features in the average TV sold as a 12v model vs. a 120v model you'll usually see that the 120v models are more up-to-date and have more of the features we've become accustomed to seeing. The last time I looked the 12v models were all unknown brands with only so-so picture quality. This is likely part of the reason the RV industry is using 'regular' 120v TVs. Also, they have come a long way in efficiency since the days of CRT television sets.

Most 120vac televisions actually operate on DC current. For a while most flat screen televisions had a power brick in the cord converting 120vac to DC, but recently they have been incorporating the converter inside the case. It's still possible to run these directly from DC, but it involves opening the case and doing a little wiring.

For our Airstream I was able to find a 120vac flat screen at Best Buy that still had the external power brick, and it was feeding the television 12vdc. To use that I took off the power brick and got an adapter cable to plug it directly into the 12v outlet in the bedroom.

For the living room, I discovered that most of the newer models with external power bricks are running on a voltage higher than 12v with most being 19v. Unfortunate since that would have been as handy and let me plug into the 12v outlet. Instead, I selected a very efficient 120vac TV and will have to use it via the inverter.

At least I have one to run directly on 12v if I need.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I've never seen a TV mount that didn't allow the TV to slide up and off. Check your mount carefully to see how it's done. On my 2018 model, there was a small clip at the top, center of the mounting bracket that had to be pulled up to release the TV from the mount. I've since replaced that mount with a swing arm mount but I've posted a picture below. The chrome clip must be pulled up and the rotated sideways 90° to release the TV. Just pull the TV up and away. I wasn't able to get my hand into the space between the TV and the wall, so I used a long bread knife to reach in an release the clip. A tool finder with a magnetic end would probably have worked better. Your mount may be similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Wall Mount - Original.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	410700  
Old 01-18-2022, 08:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
tbrowne,
If Donho's mount is similar to mine, it's an articulated arm on a very sturdy plate with two slots and two regular screws mounted to the wall. It is readily removable without going behind the wall or worrying about the backing plate dropping to the bottom of the cavity.
There is no reason to mess with the wall plate to access the TV connections - they are exposed and the TV is held on to the swing arm with four screws, spaced the same between the original LG and my upgraded Sony set. I'm not sure what Donho was trying to do, or maybe his setup is different.
Donho: Good luck with your dealer visit! I was inspired to try yet again, had to replace the batteries in my DVD remote, and then found the JL was muted and I can't figure out how to turn up the sound. SUCH a wonky interface! I may have to do the Neanderthal thing like Ray, and bring along a hollow log and a couple of thigh bones for musical entertainment. (Also serves well for communication, when your cellphone battery runs down)
Every new buyer should insist on a demonstration of the audio system. It seems to be the one feature that most falls short of expectations.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:31 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
So I have two TVs - the one in the “living” area appears to be mounted to a 6x6” piece of wood that is bolted onto the wall next to the frig. There is so little space between the tv and the wall that tbrownes comment may be my solution. Will try it soon. Thanks!

The bedroom tv is more like yours Getaw. I think I can muck with that tv easy enough and swap it out for an upgrade like yours. Btw what did you end up putting in there?

So I guess my solution will be to upgrade both TVs so they are Bluetooth enabled and I can run them independently to the stereo. Btw the mute on these stereos are not not not intuitive!

Though we rarely watch tv while camping, I still like to know that I can enjoy stereo with a subwoofer (which btw is right under my bed?) at the same time not disturbing the peace and zen of the campground
Old 01-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Unfortunately most small televisions do not have bluetooth functionality. I upgraded the 22” LG dumb TV that came with our Airstream to a 24” Vizio smart TV, which is the largest that I could fit on the bedroom wall. I still had to buy a bluetooth adapter for it.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:27 AM   #27
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I installed the 24" Fire TV recently in our Excella. It has Bluetooth, and I use it with a Bluetooth-enabled sound bar. Powering up the TV automatically brings on the sound bar. The Fire TV has apps for all the streaming services we use, plus it gets OTA reception, so it works for us. At only $150 I'm not sure there is one better & cheaper.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6446230
Old 01-19-2022, 06:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Both of my TV's are identical Samsung units and have the same inputs/outputs. I used the red and white audio outputs to connect a bluetooth adapter. With the bluetooth, I can connect earbuds that allow one person to watch TV without disturbing others. Bluetooth also connects seamlessly to the Clarion unit in the trailer and will play through the RV speakers. The photo shows the back inputs on my TV. The HDMI inputs are on the side of the TV and not shown. Your TV will be different but this may help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Samsung TV Inputs.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	410732  
Old 01-19-2022, 08:46 AM   #29
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
Both of my TV's are identical Samsung units and have the same inputs/outputs. I used the red and white audio outputs to connect a bluetooth adapter. With the bluetooth, I can connect earbuds that allow one person to watch TV without disturbing others. Bluetooth also connects seamlessly to the Clarion unit in the trailer and will play through the RV speakers. The photo shows the back inputs on my TV. The HDMI inputs are on the side of the TV and not shown. Your TV will be different but this may help.
Nice way to make the connections.

That TV also has an optical audio output, which many have nowadays. They can also be used to connect some devices to a TV.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Donho,
I was in error about the TV model. It is a Samsung, left over from when the kids were still around (10 yrs?) that I pulled out of a closet. It has an audio jack as the only output (I think the LG had a USB for diagnostics ONLY, and no audio out) and a whole bank of useless-to-me inputs.
I did manage to get the JL off mute by pressing a button located just to the left as I rotated the volume knob. The Sony DVD/CD output sounds great through it, so I guess I'll put off calling Crutchfields.
Let us know what the dealer deals you.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:29 PM   #31
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Sound system

Quote:
Well we finally had our new 2022 AS 25 International come to town FTB. The walk through was short because the workday was almost over for them.

Now half of them are out due to COVID and can’t help me - so thus my question here

The stereo works fine through all the speakers. The two tvs work fine using their own onboard speakers. But I can’t seem to figure out how to play the tv sound though the stereo system. It appears that something is hooked up to the aux input on the stereo but I’m not getting sound when I select this source. Any ideas?

I bet it’s something on the tv selection but haven’t found it. Thanks in advance!

Also PS:

Cabinets are really loud when we shut them. Slamming noise Tried to use a cabinet door stopper but no luck seems to come from the latch that grabs it.
I had the same problem with my 2022 Flying Cloud. The DVD player doesn't go through the stereo system. Only to the TV. I removed the marine am/fm radio and replaced it with a PYLE Compact 5.1 channel Amp. I had to add a center speaker and a toggle switch to turn on the subwoofer and now I have true surround sound .
John Ware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:07 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
I don’t know that looks pretty similar to my TVs. The AS is in storage so I’ll have to get out there today or tomorrow and check. I had thought those were rca inputs not outputs. If they are outputs a Bluetooth rca like yours will work. Just couldn’t figure out how to get the tv off that wall until input here. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:09 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ware View Post
I had the same problem with my 2022 Flying Cloud. The DVD player doesn't go through the stereo system. Only to the TV. I removed the marine am/fm radio and replaced it with a PYLE Compact 5.1 channel Amp. I had to add a center speaker and a toggle switch to turn on the subwoofer and now I have true surround sound .
That’s my end game here. To upgrade that cheesy stereo. Looked at the Pyle amps - I’m not at all familiar with those. Maybe you can send me the model you used? And why a need for a switch for the woofer? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2022, 12:44 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Went out to the storage today and found this layout - component inputs and Av inputs. No output AV for a Bluetooth connection.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
So per the one pic below of the living areas tv only these inputs. So a Bluetooth dongle is out of the question. The other tv doesn’t even have that much . Crazy and cheep.

So my options are replace tvs with Bluetooth enabled to link up with existing JL audio. Pro would be have all speakers play both content from channels as well as BD.

Other option is replace the stereo and do as John did and link to BD. That would give me surround sound.

Haven’t been into the dealer yet as they are all out with COVID still. Won’t go within a mile of there for awhile. Suspect they’ll tell me it’s operating as designed!
Old 01-20-2022, 01:08 PM   #36
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
The number on the box is PFA540BT and it doesn't have a connection for the remote wire to the powered subwoofer. I got it from Amazon for $95.00.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
If you don't care about OTA sound...

You can do like I did and run an audio output (Techome, I think - it's all covered up now) from the DVD player to the JL sound system. As wonky as it is, the JL stereo is not cheap, and I didn't buy this trailer to spend hours reinventing all the entertainment center!
I also looked at replacing the Sony DVD player with a bluetooth model, but the replacement would be an inch wider than the existing cutout.
Good luck!

Quote:
So per the one pic below of the living areas tv only these inputs. So a Bluetooth dongle is out of the question. The other tv doesn’t even have that much . Crazy and cheep.

So my options are replace tvs with Bluetooth enabled to link up with existing JL audio. Pro would be have all speakers play both content from channels as well as BD.

Other option is replace the stereo and do as John did and link to BD. That would give me surround sound.

Haven’t been into the dealer yet as they are all out with COVID still. Won’t go within a mile of there for awhile. Suspect they’ll tell me it’s operating as designed!
Old 01-21-2022, 07:30 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I noticed my pics weren’t included. Just as suggested this is the mount that held the front tv so close to the wall I couldnt figure out how to remove it. No articulating arm to give me the space.

Taking the clip at the top and rotating it allowed me to slide the tv up and out.

I’m going to upgrade that tv and put an arm on it.

The other pic is the remaining open connections on the back of that tv.

Just FYI for others in my position.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	45DF0259-7230-4425-AD88-C39689646505.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	410841   Click image for larger version

Name:	DF9D5049-103D-4FEC-866B-62244EC88AE2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	410842  

Old 01-22-2022, 08:19 AM   #39
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Modified Flying Cloud Sound

Name:   0121221748.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  13.9 KB
Trying to send a picture of what I ended up with.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
On my 2021 23FB I used a HDMI audio splitter to route the TV sound to the Stereo. HDMI from the source into the splitter out to the TV and Stereo. It was under $20
https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Spl...32443827&psc=1
John Birk is offline   Reply With Quote