Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Sirius/XM radio install.

FYI--adding Sirius, XM to the new 30 footers. One of the inexpensive "car cigarette lighter plug'' radios work real well. Buy one of the marine Sirius antennas and install next to the FM whip antenna as shown in the photo (Galaxy makes a good one). A small "fish tape" will easily find the area behind the Sony audio unit from a 5/8 in. drilled hole in the roof (Remove the cover panel above and to the right of the Blue Ray--DC and AC plugs located there). Use your tape and pull your fish cord back up through the roof hole and use that to pull the antenna wire down to the opening next to the Blue Ray unit. Power, of course is from the Cigar lighter plug located right there. You will need to stop at Radio Shack and buy a 3 or 6 foot conversion cord that has the red/white RCA jacks on one end and the normal pin type audio plug on the other. You will find the optional wired terminal box behind the Sony Digital Receiver. The two RCA plugs connect to it on the side with the small volume knob. (There are two possible places to plug the XM radio unit to that terminal box--only one will carry the Satellite signal to the Sony receiver so if the first connection produces nothing, switch to the other two RCA plugs on the other side of the box). I ordered the "removal keys" for the Sony unit so I could pull it out from it's mount and even though that is not absolutely necessary if is good to have the unit out and hanging there as it's mounting hole allows you to reach in and connect the RCA plugs to the terminal box. Drill a 1/2 inch hole in the cover panel next to the cigar lighter plug to bring the antenna and audio cords out to the radio unit itself. Mount the radio to the top of the Blue Ray/DVD/CD player and you are done. Sirius/XM will play on source "CD 1".

(This will certainly work on any of the Flying Cloud's that have the Sony Digital Receiver installed. The Antenna location may have to be changed.) With the different cabinetry on the International and Classic, different access to behind the Sony would be required, but I would think they could be hooked up also.

We had an old Sirius Lifetime membership that was connected to a radio on a boat we sold. Transferred that lifetime to the new Flying Cloud for forever Sirius/XM. However, I like Satellite radio enough to pay for annual hookup if I had to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788[1].jpg
Views:	431
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	168204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0786[1].jpg
Views:	450
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	168205  

Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Thumbs up Sirius/XM- radio install

Thanks Howard for the info and detailed photos , I have been thinking about installing this on my FC 23 2012 . Basically it looks similar to what I need to do . I am somewhat confused as to this (see below) ,and thought this would be the only hardware needed . Did you explore this option ? Do you need to install a Brand specific aerial XM/Sirius) as well? ( was hoping I didn't need to get up on the roof)

See Best Buy
LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
LAWBC, you don't need that Best Buy unit. The Sony in your 23FB is Sirius/XM ready just like it's I-pod ready. Your shopping list is:
Sirius/XM radio receiver for install in a car ($60 from Sirius/XM
Old 09-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
LAWBC, you don't need that Best Buy unit. The Sony in your 23FB is Sirius/XM ready just like it's I-pod ready. Your shopping list is:
Sirius/XM radio receiver for install in a car ($60 from Sirius/XM
Sorry, I hit post before completed:

1: Sirius/XM radio receiver for install in a car ($60 from Sirius/XM )
2: Sirius/XM subscription, of course.
3: Radio Shack 6 ft audio connector cord with RCA plugs on one end and the regular small pin plug on the other (this replaces the audio cord that comes with the radio)
4: Sirius/XM Marine antennae--"Shakespeare Galaxy" Sirius.

Get to your roof from the awning side and stay on the white metal top. Drill a 5/8 inch hole for the fish tape and antennae cord next to the black whip FM/AM antennae already there. Drill the hole to the side that the Sony digital unit is on inside the trailer. Use the removal keys that came with the Sony (or order some from Sony) and remove the unit to gain access through it's rectangular opening. Remove the cover plate with DC plug and AC plate above and to the side of the Blue Ray Unit. This gives you access to the terminal box described in the original post where you will plug the RCA plugs. It is also your access to the fish tape when pushed down from your roof-5/8 inch hole. Once the fish tape and antennae wire pulling is complete, mount your antennae to the roof and the radio unit on top of the blue ray box, or wherever you chose.

One last thing. Use a really good caulk on the roof antennae mounting. I used 3M 5200. It's hell to get off but can be done. It is for marine underwater use and will never crack, peel, fail in anyway. It is forever.

Good luck, you'll love it.

Howard
Old 09-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Howard;
What is the advantage of the marine antenna ?
We have a car magnetic mount that would be less obtrusive if I glue it in place.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
Howard;
What is the advantage of the marine antenna ?
We have a car magnetic mount that would be less obtrusive if I glue it in place.
I had to glue a 12" X 12" piece of galvanized sheet medal for the magnetic antenna on the roof. I searched far and wide for an aluminum magnet without success. The reception is better with car antenna with a metal base.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Dkrug, Probably the most important reason, is that the Marine antennae is made to be screwed into place and has a rubber seal for water tightness (don't just rely on that and use the 3M 5200 or at lease 4200 also).

Second, I'm not sure if you could trust glue to last forever holding the small antennae provided with the radio. That antennae is not intended to be in the UV forever. The marine Shakespeare antennae will last, pretty much, forever and is of exceptional quality--thus quality reception (antennae quality does matter with radio, TV, Short wave, etc.) You can glue this Shakespeare antennae in place if you want. The part of the antennae you see under the mushroom looking top is a screw-on with a base that allows the unit to be mounted from above with three screws. The actual antennae is just the round top part. included with the Galaxy is stainless attachment hardware that allows the antennae to be mounted flush. (our problem is that we can not get to the under side to bolt it on as the interior skin is there.

Antennae quality is to reception what your sub-woofer is to base. There are other XM antennaes of marine quality, I have just seen this one work in horroble conditions and never miss a lick for years. Probably a quality other brand would be just as good. (I think I paid close to $100 for the Shakespeare, so that will be your top cost for the project. Antennae plug-to-radio is always the same on sirius/XM so the connection is the same.)

Howard
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
One last thing. I see where Denis glued sheet metal so the magnetic antennae would stick. What ever you decide to do with glue on the top, use that 3M product. Either the 5200 (best and permanent) or 4200 (quicker drying and a little easier to remove).

The 5200 is so strong/permanent and waterproof, that you would be OK to glue that mushroom Antennae top in place over your 5/8 in hole with complete confidence that it would stay for as long as you will ever use the trailer. It does take several days to dry properly, so plan on letting it set up for a while before moving the AS.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #9

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
My simple solution for installing my Stratus 6 (lifetime subscription) in my 2017 Flying Cloud was to buy a home kit ($36) 2 rca y splitters ($2 per at radio shack) for the aux input and a SIRIUS XM Radio RG6 COAX Antenna Conversion Kit ($20). I didn't want to drill a hole in my new baby and figured I'd alway be doing hookups whenever we parked. Also we're never listening in the trailer when on the road. I simple hijacked the portable satellite coax hookup using the COAX conversion and input the dock into the clarion aux. Whenever I setup I plug the antenna into the exterior satellite plug and aim it south. It gives me the option to move my antenna to the optimal position for reception.
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote