Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
SIRIUS satellite & Live365 internet radio

Howdy Folks:

I loved the thread about what cool things could be done for under $100 for your airstream. We talked about Sirius satellite radio. I have another option to suggest: www.live365.com I have both audio services and LOVE them. Reason: No commercials. I will gladly pay for that. Second reason: 100s of specific genres of music to choose for listening.

With Sirius radio, you pay for the satallite service. You buy equipment for your car or house and install. You must have a very good visual open direct unobstructed view to the satellite in outer space to make it work. It does work fine when the antannae is set right. Think rabbit ears. The boom box player d\n work unless the antannae is similiar tuned and facing the satellite.

Another option with Sirius is an internet account. With a broadband card or wifi connection, you get excellent connectivity. This works flying down the highway too. Upgrade ($) a little and you get internet digital quality. I can barely tell the difference myself, but that's cool.

Another mobile audio option is Live365. (www.live365.com) Yyou get internet radio for free, if you can tolerate commercials. Not for me. Upgrade to VIP for $71\year and the whole world of music is commercial-free. (worth it) I really like Live365 because they have 100s of genres. If you can dream-up a style of music, they got it. Great stuff to explore and recommendations not given by Sirius.

I'm pulling back from Sirius because I don't wanna financially support the nasty vulgar shock-jock Howard Stern. He works for Sirius and gets paid obscene amounts of money for saying obscene things. Even though I don't listen to his particular station, I don't wanna help pay for his salary.

So I'm in process of switching over to Live365. The corp is the internet company that has the website. The audio stations are from many sources. And it's cheap. About $71\year. Not paying for shock-jock salaries. <grinning>

I travel with my laptop close at hand. I have a broadband card thru Sprint. It works just about everywhere, inside & outdoors. In that, it beats the Sirius setup, except now you can get Sirius online anyway. I plug the laptop into my car stereo via a the standard small-jack plug now being used for all audio, like the iPod. The new generation of car stereos all carry these plug-ins on their faceplate. (I found a decent car stereo with these cool features at Crutchfield for $149. It's the Dual receiver. Does lots of cool things.) I also plug the laptop into the home theatre stereo in my 31 Sovereign. It sounds excellent either way. Even plugs into a boombox, so I get better stereo sound with my laptop anywhere.

Just some ideas. Oh yeah, and nowadays you can get the Live365 streaming into an iPhone or othe similar devices.

Great music and no commericials. You gotta pay for it, but it's worth it. Cheers!

page crow
page.crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Suffolk , Virginia
Check out Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music
bwbuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
"I'm pulling back from Sirius because I don't wanna financially support the nasty vulgar shock-jock Howard Stern. He works for Sirius and gets paid obscene amounts of money for saying obscene things. Even though I don't listen to his particular station, I don't wanna help pay for his salary."

Recent story in the WSJ implied that Howard was not going to re-up next year. I detest Stern, but he made XM-SIRIUS a viable product and I now have my choice of everything from NASCAR to C-Span to Classical music in the shop or on the road. If you were a stockholder in SIRIUS and bought and sold at the right time, Howard might have made you a ton of money.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Talking cool

Hey page, thanks for the thread.

BW, thanks for the Pandora link

very cool
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Oh yeah, I've had a few people tell me about Pandora. I haven't checked it out yet. Sounds very simple. So far, I dig the <functionality> & <workability> of the Live365 gig. Also, it's got 1000s of stations, not 100s. Wow, did I learn. (There's about 25 bluegrass stations alone. I'm in hog-heaven.)

Regarding the Sirius stock. No one has made any money off their stock except the trading companies who make commissions. <grins> I thought Sirius was gonna FLY when it first came out. It didn't. It sank. Sirius is siriusly in debt, owing MILLIONS in back debt and interest. Reasons: expenses. They opened their offices in downtown Manhattan and pay MILLIONS to Stern. They have no P in the P&L statements. I don't think it was Stern that made Sirius a "viable product". Respectfully, his outrageous salary contributes to their financial difficulties.

The reason my laptop works so well for an internet stereo system is mostly because of the broadband card working inside buildings. No antannae to string along over to the window.

Granted, the Sirius antannae works perfectly out in the middle of nowhere, when it's aimed up at the satillite in outer-space. The internet computer features work only when you have broadband connectivity or wi-fi hookup. But my broadband works about everywhere.

Live365 works on the iPhone, iPod, Blackberry etc. THAT will be the killer app, when I get a cell phone with an audio patch cable hookup. Get in my truck, dial in Live365 and cruise.

We just keep getting better and cooler toys. And we LOVE toys.

<humbly bowing>

page crow
Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Howdy 4x4:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Stern bringing Sirius into the mainstream". I too have several Sirius recievers. I bought into Sirius long before Stern came along. I watched my stock drop from $6\share to what it is today, almost nil. I haven't seen that stock value growth you refer to. I understand some folks can day-trade and make money on quick up's & down's in the stock market. Stock-value is a different issue. I was making the point of commericial-free music.

I understand I don't have to listen to Stern. I choose not to. My point was I no longer wish to financially contribute to Stern's paycheck.

There are now better commercial-free options on the internet that are cheaper and work better than the satellite option.

respectfully,
page crow
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
We never subscribed to Sirius radio with our new AS... but did maintain it for a couple of years in both of our vehicles. My wife and I enjoy the oldies from the 60's and 70's. Pretty much the only reason we had it. Now my wife it going through withdrawls. I also have an issue with paying the outrageous salary Sirius gave Howard Stern to come on board. Both of our renewals just came due. After watching the recent adverts of Sirius radio, showing Howard, I decided not to renew either one. For now, we will just have to search the local channels for that good old rock and roll!!!..........steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Hey Steve & Gang: Pandora. Now I'm on Pandora and it kicks it all. I can't get Sirius or Live365 to stream audio into my new smart-phone. But Pandora does it easily. Nothing could be simpler than the Pandora setup. And it's FREE, (with minimal commercial inclusion). If you buy the no-commericial option, it's only $36\yr right now. I installed Pandora on my Sprint Moment phone and then also on my laptop. I really like the interface. Data on the bands and the style of music is really neat. I agree with bwbuer, the Pandora is the way to go. Thanks everyone. Beautiful tunes abound. The road goes on forever and the party never ends. page

Tags
audio, internet radio, live365, sirius, stereo