Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Sirius radio questions

When I bought a new truck it came with Sirius radio ,found out I liked it so much when we travel that I actually subscribed to it . I put a Sony car stereo in the Airstream several years that is satellite radio "ready" and I would like to add Sirius to it. In addition I would like to have it in my shop and other cars (a person can only stand so much of the same stuff on every Clear Channel station). I understand Sirius offers an add on subscription and has receivers/radios that can be moved from place to place. What is the best way to go and how easy is the installation?
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Stature: Costanzaesque

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Does your sony have bluetooth? I just goto the SiriusXM website and start up my music, or the gamecast, and it magically comes thru the speakers. Don't ask me how, but it does. Just pair your laptop with the Sony.

If you don't have bluetooth on the laptop then just get a dongle at the big yellow box store.

https://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com
ratfarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfarker View Post
Does your sony have bluetooth? I just goto the SiriusXM website and start up my music, or the gamecast, and it magically comes thru the speakers. Don't ask me how, but it does. Just pair your laptop with the Sony.

If you don't have bluetooth on the laptop then just get a dongle at the big yellow box store.
The problem with this solution is you have to have wifi or cell coverage. If you don't, you're out of luck.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
xm listener for years

I have always had a portable xm. When I travel, it is hooked up to the truck, and I hook it up in the trailer when I am there. When I get home, I move it into the house. So I have one radio, and a backup whenever the current one dies. That way I pay for one subscription. When you add on a radio, you get a reduced price. My son got an xm and he is added onto mine. Same went for my daughter when she had hers. I would always go with a portable. I use the audio plug in on the truck and my indoor radios. My radio in the trailer, I use the cassette tape converter.
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Rock Hill , South Carolina
We hooked a Sirius docking station to factory radio in Airstream with pigtail to antenna, ran Sirius antenna to skylight. Also have a docking station in car and home stereo same faceplate for all three. TV came with XM radio , the same company but different bills.
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Check out here

Get Started - SiriusXM Radio

Lots of options!

Now, check here for toys to add,
http://www.tss-radio.com
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Our Airstream's factory Sony radio was marked satellite radio ready but the module for it was unavailable.
We replaced it with a JVC radio and a satellite module. All the automotive radios have basically the same dimensions, and hookups and the radio fit in the same space and hooked up to the Sony speakers. Professionally installed, the setup was about $800. I think I could have done it myself and saved $450, if I could have gotten over being squeamish about drilling a hole in the roof to mount the antenna. Best place to mount the satellite antenna was outside above the radio. A small hole had to be drilled for the wire. It was sealed with silicone and in two years there have been no leaks.
We have satellite radio in two cars, the Airstream and the boat. The first subscription is about $180 per year, the rest are discounted a little.
We looked at a Sportster setup with separate docking stations and decided to pass. The installation would be clunky as there is no space for the Sportster or nearby 12v powerpoint. Unless the Sportster can be mounted close to the radio and plugged in to the Aux port, it broadcasts the Sirius signal in FM on an unused frequency set by the user. Sound quality is not the best and there is frequently interference as you travel into different areas and pickup different stations.
Now that the radio is installed in the Airstream, we find we use it a lot. We camp where there are no tv signals and it is nice to get news and music.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
You can stream Sirrus/XM via the internet, it's an additional charge. I had it for a couple of years but didn't use it that much as I had a ton of songs on my ipod to use when I wasn't in the car with the service. That said, you may find the streaming service perfect. It is a data hog, so be careful if you stream using a cell phone.

One other suggestion: when renewing,it is best to call them just before your auto renewal comes up. Be nice, but tell them something like "I dont' use the service much and so it's not worth the money to me" etc. etc. "so I think I want to cancel". They will offer you a half price deal to renew. I have done this every year since I have had the service, it's a well known "routine" that is suggested on forums all over the internet.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
When I bought a new truck it came with Sirius radio ,found out I liked it so much when we travel that I actually subscribed to it . I put a Sony car stereo in the Airstream several years that is satellite radio "ready" and I would like to add Sirius to it. In addition I would like to have it in my shop and other cars (a person can only stand so much of the same stuff on every Clear Channel station). I understand Sirius offers an add on subscription and has receivers/radios that can be moved from place to place. What is the best way to go and how easy is the installation?

63, this may help you. It's a short post of mine, installing sirrius in my 2012 FC. If you do it, install a good marine sirius antenna. That's the key to the best reception.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...all-96385.html

Howard

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote