Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Indiana
should I remove my antennae?

I have a 76 Sovereign with a GIANT fold down antennae on top. We have replaced the 8 track player with CD/Ipod dock/Tuner and do have the antennae wire plugged in to the rear of the unit. We do not use our 2 LCD TV's for TV broadcasts other than the occasional campsite cable hookup - mostly just DVD movies.
My question is this... to update the look of the exterior of our AS, can I remove the antennae on the top and maybe replace it with something much smaller (like a limosine "flying V" or a small inverted dish style antennae) and where can I find a good replacement. I have seen posts for the much more expensive systems but don't really think I have the need for them. All I want is a radio signal receiver.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
On my 71 Sovereign, the giant fold down antennae on top is only for TV reception. Many people, including us, have either replaced it with a Winegard TV antennae or something similar. Winegards are pretty common, and available at a variety of places, including Camping World. I also have a separate radio antennae. It's mounted on the port side front corner of the trailer.

Are you sure you don't have a separate radio antennae? Typically there is one just for the radio. One clue would be the cable type. My TV antenna has the old 2 wire flat brown cable, while the radio antenna has a black coax cable.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
I had our antennae removed last week on our "78" Ambassador. It was a source of leaking. We also have a seperate antennae for the stereo on the front streetside of the coach. It works fine. Cut a round piece of aluminum to cover the hole when antennae was removed. We still have an outside cable connector when camping at a campground with cable hook-up. Don't know that we would have ever used the old antennae for tv. I think our unit has a "cleaner" look to it now.

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Both of mine have Skyliner (GIANT) antennas, and they work great! I need new gears for the one on the Excella, but they are available. I would have replaced them already, I have the replacements, but I am having difficulty removing the rusted screws that hold the cover the plastic cover on (bimetallic corrosion) without damage. I just checked UPS, and a new cover is already delivered at work this morning. The Trade Wind has an external radio antenna by the front window. The Excella has a splitter inside the box on the wall where you plug in the TV antenna that feeds the radio. This design actually works very well. Since it is on top, it can get signals from all directions.

The location for the radio in the Trade Wind is in the front cabinet over the window and close to the external antenna. The Excella's location is in the center credenza close to the outlet mentioned.

I also doubt that the flying v antenna would be good for much besides right in a city for reception. More of a "triumph" of style over function. Besides, if you want a vintage look, it is hard to beat the Skyliners. Especially since they work so well.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I replaced my Skyliner with a Winegard Batwing and a Wingman add on. Works fine. That was before the digital conversion. I have heard the old Skyliners work fine with digital also. The information I found was a Batwing works better than a Boomerang antenna. The Winegard is available also with an amplified head.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We have the original antenna on our '66 Trade Wind. It folds up and is mounted to the left of the front window. With the advent of digital broadcasting I thought it was history. But it WORKS! Some stations are too distant but to keep the coach as original as we can we'll keep it. Also mounted to the front of the coach is a radio antenna. We have no radio but the antenna sports an antenna 'Old Glory' flag.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
...I have heard the old Skyliners work fine with digital also...
They do. Made the switch to HD a couple of years ago. I have a Dish HD DVR, but my local (Little Rock) channels over Dish are not HD yet so I get them over my Skyliner. The Dish DVR has its own over the air tuner, so it will record them just fine.

The Little Rock channels will be HD over Dish very soon. At least that's what they said a couple of years ago.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
I removed the "Skyliner (GIANT) antenna" from the top of my '65 Safari. I also had to cover the holes on the front street side corner from where it looks like it was mounted prior to being on top. I'll agree they can qualify as "vintage look". Without it, I guess I can call it "original look". To me it just looks cleaner without it. I am keeping it in case I decide to put together a removable mast that attaches to the tongue area for intermittent use.
For now I'll just read a book or enjoy the view of the great out-doors.
BWH
P.S. - Those antennas should work great for FM radio reception, but not AM. After all FM frequencies live in between TV channels 6 and 7.
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
mines gone too, it leaked like a sieve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01998.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	87650  
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
That was the first thing I did on both Argosy's we have owned. All they are good for is causing leaks.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I went with the roadstar so I wouldn't have to raise and lower it. I only use it when we travel (RV parks). Camping we might watch a DVD if anything.
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
mines gone too, it leaked like a sieve.
Ooooh. I like the clean look of those patches on the top. I am inspired to get our old crusty antenna taken off. Thanks for posting the pic!
dmroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
OMG!!!
You took out the 8-track !
I thought they were bringing them back?
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:47 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Indiana
unless it is on the top - I have no stand alone radio antenna. When replacing my 8-track with a modern unit, I did have a black coaxial style antenna plug but I have no idea where it leads.
I was assuming that the large Skyliner antenna served dual duty. I have double checked and I have no antenna on the front street side or a prior patch.
I think I am going to go ahead and remove the skyliner and see what happens!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We Did...

I find that we watch very little TV when camping. The exception is during college football season. But most of the campgrounds these days have cable hook-ups so we plan accordingly, or I get updates on the CrackBerry on ESPN.com.

As such we yanked ours off the Avion and intend to do the same on the AS next month.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I revamped the Skyliner on my trailer. Replaced the gear and o-rings. It works great with digital TV and I like the vintage look of it.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3326 View Post
unless it is on the top - I have no stand alone radio antenna. When replacing my 8-track with a modern unit, I did have a black coaxial style antenna plug but I have no idea where it leads.
I was assuming that the large Skyliner antenna served dual duty. I have double checked and I have no antenna on the front street side or a prior patch.
I think I am going to go ahead and remove the skyliner and see what happens!
Pull the wall plate where you plug in your TV antenna and you will find the splitter that is coming from the Skyliner. Removing it means no antenna at all for radio. If you just have to remove it, you will have to mount some kind of radio antenna somewhere. You will have to cut a new hole for it and fish the cable to your radio, wherever it is.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Hi. Your post was very informative. I am having the same problem with my old antenna. It is stuck in one place, fortunately down, and I can't get it up. I went topside this summer and sure enough the screws look like they are really frozen so I haven't touched it. I am curious, where did you get the new lift mechanism and were you able to successfully get the screws out without damaging the top. I worry about patching up there as it is soooo rainy where my trailer lives most of the year.

BTW I have a '79 Sovereign and it is set up the same way. The old V antenna is for television only and there is a bracket on the front that holds an antenna that feeds into a plug (kind of hard to get to) on the front of the trailer. We use the antenna so little that I haven't given much thought to it, but lately I have decided to fix as many of the irritating "little" things as I can. Ahh so, an old trailer has no end of "irritating little things" to fix.

Joan
Sovereign42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign42 View Post
Hi. Your post was very informative. I am having the same problem with my old antenna. It is stuck in one place, fortunately down, and I can't get it up. I went topside this summer and sure enough the screws look like they are really frozen so I haven't touched it. I am curious, where did you get the new lift mechanism and were you able to successfully get the screws out without damaging the top. I worry about patching up there as it is soooo rainy where my trailer lives most of the year.

BTW I have a '79 Sovereign and it is set up the same way. The old V antenna is for television only and there is a bracket on the front that holds an antenna that feeds into a plug (kind of hard to get to) on the front of the trailer. We use the antenna so little that I haven't given much thought to it, but lately I have decided to fix as many of the irritating "little" things as I can. Ahh so, an old trailer has no end of "irritating little things" to fix.

Joan
I got the gearset from Out of Doors Mart (Braund Worm Gear Kit 22-8309 [11901] - $12.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart). The only screws involved were holding the plastic gear cover onto the antenna. 50% success rate in removing them, one broke. However, one appears to be ample to hold the cover down. The gears are held in place with a roll pin for the worm gear and the rack part is secured on the shaft that lifts the antenna with a snap ring. The kit comes with a new roll pin and a couple of snap rings. They also have replacement gear housings available now (Skyliner TV Antenna Gear Housing 12662 [12662] - $10.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart). I was unable to locate any of these for a long time.

The antenna need not be removed for installation of any of these parts.

It is nice having the lift mechanism work properly. I was holding the antenna in the up position by tying it to the handle by the door. Needless to say, that limits the directions that the antenna may point. It also interferes with the awning.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I like all of the interesting ideas. I also like the clean look after removing the antenna.

May I add a question to all. I am a new owner of a '85 Sovereign. Where is the hook up for cable on the outside? Also has any one replaced the antenna with the manual Winegard dish mounted in the same place?

thanks, Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote