Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
Satellite tv set up

Greetings, perhaps there is already a thread about this subject, but i have some issues seting up my sat antena/receiver.
We have a 2014 28ft International signature rig and I have followed the instructions on the manual to set up the receiver and it does not work. However the manual says to set both the sat in and tv out cables to the faceplte coax under the kitchen table. The face plate has only one conector. Does thos mean that I need to get a splitter to conect sat in/ tv out from my receiver box to the trailer faceplate? Will appreciate any help. Just to mention that our tv is solid fixed to the wall. thank you
Bajaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Assuming that your 2014 is similar to the 2015 FC in the cabinet where you have your BluRay player there should be a SAT coax cable. Lift up the front of BluRay to release the velcro tabs and slide it out. Cable should be in there and labeled. Connect that to your Sat RX. Unplug the HDMI cable from the BluRay and plug it into the Sat RX and you should be good to go. Only issue is that if you want to use the DVD/BluRay player it is a good idea to get an automatic HDMI switch so that you don't have to manually change the HDMI cable.

No need to do anything with the wall plate.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Assuming that your 2014 is similar to the 2015 FC in the cabinet where you have your BluRay player there should be a SAT coax cable. Lift up the front of BluRay to release the velcro tabs and slide it out. Cable should be in there and labeled. Connect that to your Sat RX. Unplug the HDMI cable from the BluRay and plug it into the Sat RX and you should be good to go. Only issue is that if you want to use the DVD/BluRay player it is a good idea to get an automatic HDMI switch so that you don't have to manually change the HDMI cable.

Does this procedure also apply to hooking up a Tailgater which would be connected to the Satellite In Port on the outside? Where to pick up an HDMI switch and which one?
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
Quote:

Thank you very much for your note, I did try to remove ot but it looks thatI have more than velcro tabs, and I don't want to force ot out. I Will have Airstream tech support. Thank you anyway.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Silverbee yes. I use this item from Amazon. Kinivo 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p.

One port for the BluRay, one for the Dish Recv and one for hooking up an iPad.

Flying silver usually there are a velcro tab on the bottom front corners of the BluRay. Gently, but with some force, lift the front edge up and it should slide out. The tabs are about 1x2 inches or so.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
Does this procedure also apply to hooking up a Tailgater which would be connected to the Satellite In Port on the outside? Where to pick up an HDMI switch and which one?
Hello,

I finally removed the blueray, there is no coax cable to be seen. Tjis is getting more complicated that I thought. Thank you
Old 11-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
The cabinet that the Blue Ray is in also comes out and then there is a nest of wires behind the stereo. I hired a guy to do it after work, it took him an hour and three trips by me to Best Buy. Extra HDMI cables and the HDMI port (4) and everything worked...cost me S100 for the mechanics and about $35 for the parts...
Old 11-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Flying sounds like time to call the folks in Jackson Center.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Quote:
Silverbee yes. I use this item from Amazon. Kinivo 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p.

One port for the BluRay, one for the Dish Recv and one for hooking up an iPad.

Flying silver usually there are a velcro tab on the bottom front corners of the BluRay. Gently, but with some force, lift the front edge up and it should slide out. The tabs are about 1x2 inches or so.
It took some crooking and wiggling of fingers, but I finally found the coax under the BluRay cabinet shelf through the small slot. Just left it all loose until I have more time to examine and think about the routing and hook-up process. Is there any reason to get a switch with more than 3 ports so this does not have to be re-done later?
Old 11-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
They do tuck them away don't they. Number of ports depends on number of devices you don't want to plug and un-plug. For the switch that I use it needs AC power. I set it behind the Sat RX on the shelf above the BluRay. You will need additional cables.

1. Depending on the switch (most are full size HDMI) you will need a Male/Male HDMI A cable. This will connect the Blu Ray to the switch. Call it BluRay out to Input 1.
2. The cable that is currently plugged into the BluRay will plug into the Input port on the switch.
3. The Sat RX HDMI will plug into Input 2 on the switch. Most of the time the Sat RX will come with a Male/Male HDMI A cable. It it doesn't you will need to buy one. This would mean purchasing 2 Male/Male HDMI A cables. They can be as short as you can find them.
4. If you have another device, like an iPad, that you want to use and it has an HDMI adapter available then that would be a 3rd Male/Male going to Input 3. Depending on the device and adapter this cable might be a Male HDMI A/Male HDMI B which has a small male on one end. I really like the very thin/flexible cables like the the PNY (Amazon.com: PNY C-H-P10-A06-H 6-Feet HDMI to HDMI Cable (A to A): Electronics) Depending on the arrangement of where you want to set this third device determines the length you need. When not in use I coil it up and set it on top of the Sat RX.

The switch I mentioned earlier automatically switches from one device to the other. Only one device can be turned on at a time. It also came with a remote which would useful if you never turned the devices off.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Thanks for the detail Gary. In examining the inside of the cabinet where the coax for Satellite is there is a partial round cut-out in the top which would come out on top of the BluRay cabinet if it went all the way through. I imagine it was done this way so it would not be difficult to finish the hole to pass the coax cable through if you needed to. I don't see how the cable can come out the front of the cabinet slot and be useful. I am also not sure about how much length is available on the coax. Inside the cabinet is also a splitter which I assume is splitting the signal to front and back TV sets. Wonder why they don't explain all this up front?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Yes the hole is for snaking up the cable. On trailer the hole had the power for the BluRay and power for the over the air antenna routed to the AC power outlets in the cabinet. It should be more than long enough to snake up to your Sat RX. One note is that the cabinet door will need to be open for the remote to control the Sat RX. Control is usually via an IR signal.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Satellite tv set up

Interesting thread... In my case I would like to have the blue ray and an Apple TV plugged into the system. To do this I will also need the HDMI switch you talked of earlier?

At this time I don't have any plans for any type of SAT dish but that might change. So with that in mind I guess I better get a smith large enough to handle everything (right?)
Tks
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Satellite tv set up

Gary, are you still using the existing HDMI 1to2 switch after the 3to1 to continue to feed the rear TV? If so, is there any signal degradation?
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Quote:
For the switch that I use it needs AC power. I set it behind the Sat RX on the shelf above the BluRay. You will need additional cables.

1. Depending on the switch (most are full size HDMI) you will need a Male/Male HDMI A cable. This will connect the Blu Ray to the switch. Call it BluRay out to Input 1.
2. The cable that is currently plugged into the BluRay will plug into the Input port on the switch.
Gary:
How did you feed the HDMI cables from the BluRay to the switch since the BluRay is in the cabinet slot and the wiring feed hole is not big enough to accommodate the HDMI plugs? Also, since there are only two 120 outlet spots, I assume you installed a multiplug to accept all the necessary power connections.
Tom
Old 11-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #16
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Cory there was no switch in my trailer from the factory. HDMI cable went straight to the BluRay. Nothing else there.

Tom, yes to a multi plug. On mine the feed hole was about two inches around so no problem putting stuff through the hole. If yours is a different size I wonder why they wouldn't be drilling one size hole on everything. You might need to use a right angle drill or pull the BluRay cabinet out and enlarge what you have.

And part of my power issues were fixed when I did my solar install. The Magnum inverter or shore power powers all of the receptacles. So the formerly dedicated inverter receptacles are just another 120v outlet. So I had two 120V in the cabinet.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Okay, thanks....no rear TV I assume. I'm going to try a 3-1 splitter into the facing 2-1 switch....so I can have any of the sources to either TV.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I had a front and rear. If there was a spliter not sure where it was. Makes sense that there was one someplace.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Satellite tv set up

Quote:
I had a front and rear. If there was a spliter not sure where it was. Makes sense that there was one someplace.

Ah ok, It's back there

Should be a Riverpark Connex 1 x 2
Old 11-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Quote:
Cory there was no switch in my trailer from the factory. HDMI cable went straight to the BluRay. Nothing else there.

Tom, yes to a multi plug. On mine the feed hole was about two inches around so no problem putting stuff through the hole. If yours is a different size I wonder why they wouldn't be drilling one size hole on everything. You might need to use a right angle drill or pull the BluRay cabinet out and enlarge what you have.

And part of my power issues were fixed when I did my solar install. The Magnum inverter or shore power powers all of the receptacles. So the formerly dedicated inverter receptacles are just another 120v outlet. So I had two 120V in the cabinet.
Gary/Cory
Ours has a splitter. HDMI from the BluRay goes into the splitter port and then out -
One I assume to front TV and one to the bedroom set. The splitter was velcro-ed to the bottom of the cabinet under the portion that the BluRay was sitting on. Found it when wiggling the fingers around looking for the coax.