Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
Samsung reception difference

I have a 2018 FC 26U which I purchased new. There are two TV sets, a larger one in the sofa/dinette area, and a smaller one in the bedroom. Both are Samsung brand. Both seem to have the same software. I have noticed from the beginning that the larger unit finds fewer stations than the smaller one when scanning with the antenna. It is closer to the antenna and booster, so you would think it would possibly receive a better signal than the other TV, which is further away. Even when hooked up to cable, the larger TV set recognizes fewer channels. I would think that any TV tuner worth two cents would find all of the available cable channels. As it is, the smaller TV in the bedroom finds more channels with either antenna or cable. Any logical reason why this situation occurs? I have checked the cables and tried replacing the cables. I have also checked for interference from the LED lights in all areas. There is no apparent reason for the difference in reception between the two TVs. Anyone else ever had a similar situation?
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Not sure what specific antenna hookup you've got, but if it's got multiple connection points for the two TVs you might try flipping them and then trying. You may have one connection point which is simply not connected to the circuit board properly or which is not getting the benefit of the amplified signal from the antenna.
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Just spit-balling here. You said you tried replacing cables...did you actually replace the cable to the affected TV? What about any splitters? The symptoms are more like a bad connection. If you can access the splitter from the input, cable or OTA amp, swap the outputs and see if the other TV now has the problem.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Yes, I did replace the cable from the wall connector to the back of the TV. It would seem there had to be a splitter in order for the amplified signal to go from the front of the trailer to the rear. There is no splitter visible. Would it be in the wall behind the amplifier box? The antenna is a round omnidirectional type which doesn't do a very good job anyway.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
On my coach I've got one of those round omni antennas. Behind the panel for the amplifier there is a connection for the incoming coax from the antenna as well as a place to plug in an incoming coax from a campground cable TV. There is also a feed to supply antenna to the 2nd TV in the coach. From what I've seen, these things are all pretty much the same although the exact positioning of the connections can vary. Might be a good idea to pull the plate with the amplifier switch and confirm that the connections behind it are all in the correct place and all are tight.
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have a 2017 FC with two Samsungs and I can't say I've experienced the same issue. (I think) I get the same channel search results.
Buy an extra 25' coax, they're cheap, and a "F" barrel, then take the cable out of the front TV and extend it to the rear TV. Do another channel search. Better results? Hopefully, you can narrow it down.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
On my coach I've got one of those round omni antennas. Behind the panel for the amplifier there is a connection for the incoming coax from the antenna as well as a place to plug in an incoming coax from a campground cable TV. There is also a feed to supply antenna to the 2nd TV in the coach. From what I've seen, these things are all pretty much the same although the exact positioning of the connections can vary. Might be a good idea to pull the plate with the amplifier switch and confirm that the connections behind it are all in the correct place and all are tight.
Thanks for the info. I will go behind the panel and investigate.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:05 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I have a 2017 FC with two Samsungs and I can't say I've experienced the same issue. (I think) I get the same channel search results.
Buy an extra 25' coax, they're cheap, and a "F" barrel, then take the cable out of the front TV and extend it to the rear TV. Do another channel search. Better results? Hopefully, you can narrow it down.
Thanks. I already have the extra cable and barrel. I hadn't thought about what you suggested. I'll try that and see what happens.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Remember, the antenna booster does more than amplify the on air signal. It also switches between "antenna" and "cable". After the switch, the signal is further split to front and back.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Experienced similar behavior

Captn.Ken, we experienced a situation last year at a campground with cable and poor reception.

The campground owner came out with a Fluke meter and tested the signal at the pedestal - it was fine. Next, he checked the signal at the front TV’s cable - it was weak and out of specs. We connected a cable directly from the pedestal to the TV and bingo - perfect picture. Something inside the trailer was causing the signal to drop.

Recently I pulled the wall plate to see how it was connected. As others have mentioned, there is a circuit board with connections for the roof antenna, cable from the outside trailer jack and one for the rear TV. The unit has a built-in amp and splitter for the front and rear TV’s. When you push the button to turn off the amp, it enables the cable connection and splits between the front and rear sets.

I tightened the connectors and replaced the cable from the wall to the front TV with one that has a right-angle coax on the TV end (we upgraded to a 32” Samsung Smart TV). I tested it in the driveway and it works fine. The real test will be when we get in a more remote area. If we still have trouble, I’ll try replacing the factory amp/splitter and connect directly to a splitter and better amp. I’ll have to look for an A/B switch for the cable/antenna if so.

Good luck with yours!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE754015-E57B-4A62-82ED-C162F9609292.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	392253   Click image for larger version

Name:	A23EB6A3-ECE8-4003-92FE-6C3BAE7B88DA.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	725.7 KB
ID:	392254  

WBCCI# 10258