Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Phoenixville , Pennsylvania
Salvaging existing antenna

Our "new" 1984 A/S Sovereign has the original antenna on top - with (what appears to be) an antenna connection in a cabinet to the left of the door. One of the plugs looks like a cigarette lighter receptical, and the other has two holes and is identified on the cover as "Antenna" (no coaxle hookup).

Is there anyone who has found the right cable to connect to the interior receptical and possibly used a converter with any success? As new A/S owners, we kinda want to keep her all as she is...but if we need to consider other antenna options, I guess we (reluctantly) will...

Thank you for any suggestions you might have for this newbie owner!
akirkbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
cigarette lighter receptical - a 12V supply

does the orig annt have a cable on the topside? The old wire
was 2 strand, brown, flat wire.

If yes, then begin to trace the route from outside top
to inside. Ya need a wire(or cable). My suggestion is to
run new coax alond the old cable's route....sealing with caulk
as you go. The new coax can be terminated as you wish.

ant wire is usually only two strand(very simple).
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
The two holes are for a twin-lead cable plug. You could probably find one of those at Radio Shack, along with the proper adapter to connect it to the coax jack on your TV.

The previous owner of my trailer had taken that box apart drilled a hole in it, and soldered in a piece of coax cable that hung out a few feet.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
You will find the original twin pin plug for the 300 ohm flat antenna lead is still available.

Brown 2 PIN Plug 13174 [13174] - $3.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

The following photos are courtesy of Out of Doors Mart website.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Pin Antenna Plug a.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	109758

Name:	Two Pin Antenna Plug.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	109759

You will also have to add a 300 ohm to 75 ohm balun ( matching transformer) to be able to connect the flat wire to the 75 ohm coaxial input of most modern television sets. This is how I hook up my new flatscreen and it works fine with the old wiring and antenna as long as I'm within decent range of a television station transmitter.

Name:	Tvbalun.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	109761
I hope this helps.

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
There is a cable topside. I think I can trace it and try to replace the existing receptical, as you indicated. Thank you so much for your help!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Thanks to everyone for the photos and links, as well as the excellent advice. I think I can do this - with the good direction and advice you all provided.

Thanks, again! I'll be sure to post any discoveries I come across along the way, in case anyone else is ever nuts enough to do the same.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by akirkbride View Post
Thanks to everyone for the photos and links, as well as the excellent advice. I think I can do this - with the good direction and advice you all provided.

Thanks, again! I'll be sure to post any discoveries I come across along the way, in case anyone else is ever nuts enough to do the same.

I DO need to do the same thing ... been puttin' it off due to intimidation....

Please let us (me ) know how it goes!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I DO need to do the same thing ... been puttin' it off due to intimidation....

Please let us (me ) know how it goes!

Laura

Will do, Laura! We have a couple of other items to tackle first, but as soon as I get to it, I'll keep posting my progress!

Austin
Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When I inspected the analog antenna on my trailer right after I first got it, it appeared solid on it's mount and it was, but the signal wire leading into the trailer had a broken lead right where it entered the trailer body. I tried to pull up the lead and see if there was enough slack to splice but I couldn't get even one inch of slack to pull up. I removed the antenna, and still the cable wouldn't give up any slack. There might be a trick to repairing that cable I didn't see. It wasn't a modern coax cable, it was sort of flat and fat with the leads side by side.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Andover , Kansas
Did you ever run new coax to replace the two-wire? We have a '83 Sov that I'd like to try that, too. I'd like to know if anybody has had success pulling new coax from the topside aircraft to the panel on the SS wall.
Alsupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Thunder Bay , Ontario
A newbee question.... when working on the roof (antenna)

Can the roof take a man's full weight? or do you have to do a lot of reaching from a ladder?
aname4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
I am 250 pounds and can stand on the roof where there is a rib, ONLY stand on a rib.
You can tell where the rib is by the rivet line going across the trailer, not the rivet line going front to back.
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This is how I dooooo it

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...oof-66345.html
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
The safest way to work on any item on the roof of your Airstream is either from a ladder (with padding) or from a platform spanning the width of the trailer and supported on either side. IMHO.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Sorry Alsupp - family circumstances and winter interfered with my plan to get into this project when I last posted...I plan to take it up again in the spring and will certainly post how things go - and what I learn!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
charleton , Illinois
Stripped antenna gears

I am redoing a 83 sovreign, and the TV antenna lift gear seems to be stripped. Does anyone have any info on how to overhaul ?
jerry d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry d View Post
I am redoing a 83 sovreign, and the TV antenna lift gear seems to be stripped. Does anyone have any info on how to overhaul ?
I have attached a pdf of the manual for the antenna. I replaced the gears in mine and it was not difficult. Parts are available at Out-of-Doors Mart as well as other locations.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tv_antenna.pdf (1.01 MB, 73 views)
Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I have a similar TV receptacle and have a few questions,Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2994.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	128393 in this picture you can see the back of the unit.

The two light gray wires at the top of the circuit board were attached to a cable with a black cover with two yellow insulated conductors inside, they appear to be about 20 ga. wire.

At the bottom of the little circuit board are two wires that were connected to another two conductor cable and the two leads from the coax connector. The circuit board also has two sockets on the right side to receive a plug with two small pins that is shown in a previous post.

There are also + & - 12 volt wires for the cigarette lighter socket.

Inside the cover to the left of the board is labeled "AM/FM Radio" and below the board "Bed TV".

My thinking is the pair at the top of the board are from the antenna. The pair at the bottom of the board and the pin sockets to the right are amplified signal connected to the coax socket and an antenna cable gong to the bedroom. I have know idea about connecting an AM/FM radio. Is my thinking sound or am I totally confused?

Thanks, Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2995.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	128392   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2997.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	128394  

Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Jerry D, those replacement gears are available and easy enough to install if you have a set of retaining ring tools.

Dan, I had that same box in my trailer but replaced it when I rebuilt my credenza. You should have the leads from the antenna coming in, then split to the jack on that box as well as the box in the bedroom. Since I refuse to have a TV in the bedroom I was never sure if the amplifier boosted the signal to both jacks. About the AM/FM, there was a split which connected to the stereo, though you may have a seperate whip antenna for that.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Jerry D, those replacement gears are available and easy enough to install if you have a set of retaining ring tools.

Dan, I had that same box in my trailer but replaced it when I rebuilt my credenza. You should have the leads from the antenna coming in, then split to the jack on that box as well as the box in the bedroom. Since I refuse to have a TV in the bedroom I was never sure if the amplifier boosted the signal to both jacks. About the AM/FM, there was a split which connected to the stereo, though you may have a seperate whip antenna for that.

Christopher
Thanks Christopher, I am also building a credenza to replace the dining area. I actually wanted to use this box as it is surface mount does not intrude into the cabinet. We don't have any TV at this point but I wanted to identify everything in the event something changes in the future. We do use the 12v socket. Is this amplifier self energized? I thought they needed some external power.

This is in a moho with a dash mounted radio and separate antenna. Maybe they just used the generic plastic housing for all applications.

Thanks, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote