Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Roku playing through AS Speakers

I am sure this has been asked and answered 50 times, I just can't find it.

I have a 2019 22' sport with standard blue ray player.

I own a Roku box with with HDMI output and a great number of movies on a hard drive. The Roku has a USB input and a media player which allows me to play those movies. Its fairly easy to connect the Roku player directly to the TV, watch movies and have the TV sound, but I would prefer the sound to come out via the AS Speakers.

When I looked, the Blue ray player has RGB output to a box (S-ciing) https://guyana.desertcart.com/produc...-ray-dvd-black
I attempted to plug the Roku directly to the HDMI for the TV, the sound still came out the TV speakers.
Is it easy to have the sound from a Roku device go to the AS speakers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1803.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	377007  
JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Roku playing through AS Speakers

Plug ruku into TV using hdmi cable.

Play content, turn up volume on the TV

Set airstream stereo head unit to “aux” input

You should get the audio from the TV through the AS stereo speakers now, in addition to the TV speakers.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Thanks, but it doesn't work

I do appreciate the suggestion, but it doesn't work.

And to be honest, I dont know how it work. There is no input from the Roku going into the Aux input. The Roku is HDMI direct connected to the TV in your suggestion, as far as I know there is nothing going to the Aux input.

I will continue to investigate and look for solutions
Old 08-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , WI
maybe bluetooth?

I don't know anything about Roku, but just wondering if the Roku does Bluetooth? If so, you maybe be able to pipe sound out of the Roku to your Airstream radio/bluetooth. My only concern with that is there may be a bit of latency between what you're seeing on the screen and what you're hearing via bluetooth.
WIAirstream5309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
I used an optical cable to the stereo from this:
https://www.amazon.com/Orei-Switcher.../dp/B07ZTWGBHL
You will also need another HDMI.
It works great. All my streaming from Roku and Blue ray player sound great and there is no noticeable latency. It and my roku are mounted above the stereo in the overhead cabinet.
Joe15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I have a Roku Ultra. It has an HDMI output and USB input. There is no optical output, but that's what you'd have to do to get the sound through your AS speakers from the Roku. If you had a small home theater box you can plug the Roku into that then the home theater HDMI and use an optical cable from the home theater to the AS sound system.

Some TVs have an audio out connection. You can do HDMI from Roku to the TV then an audio out cable from the TV to the AS sound system.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
Correct, I have the Ultra also. You need to run the HDMI from the Roku to the OREI (I posted link above) switcher which has audio extraction and an optical out. HDMI goes out of switcher to TV, optical goes out of switcher to stereo. It wasn't to bad in our 27GT since the blue ray and stereo are close together in a cabinet with 110 receptacles.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe15601 View Post
Correct, I have the Ultra also. You need to run the HDMI from the Roku to the OREI (I posted link above) switcher which has audio extraction and an optical out. HDMI goes out of switcher to TV, optical goes out of switcher to stereo. It wasn't to bad in our 27GT since the blue ray and stereo are close together in a cabinet with 110 receptacles.
That OREI looks like an interesting product, should be the answer to the problem.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
This is my set-up. Used it for 41 days so far and couldn't be happier. I did tighten that last screw once I tested everything. I also added the receptacle tower which you can turn off the top or bottom rows of plugs. When the camper is sitting at home unused and disconnect switch for the camper is on, I turn off the power to the Roku and Orei.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0172.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	377067  
Old 08-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Great solution...... but

Joe,

Thanks. The Orei switch looks exactly what I need. After watching the video, I am assuming that the audio gets split out from the Roku and you connect an optical cable from the Orei to the Aux port of the Blue Ray player.

It looks like an ideal solution except for the need for it to be powered. In my 22 Sport it doesn't have 110 receptacles close. It was always a bit of stretch to get the Roku plugged in and there is a switch close to the sink that I will be using.

I do have an Ultra Roku and was looking at the headphone jack in the remote. I dont happen to have an optical cable handy, but I thought about potentially running a cable between the remote and the AUX port. Has anyone tried that?

I may go grab an optical cable tomorrow (I live in a small town so no handy Best Buys) and figure it out.

Thanks for your efforts

Jeff
Old 08-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
Cables at best buy are expensive, so you will probably get a better deal most anywhere else.
I have the Fusion stereo. There is an optical input on the back of it.
It is pretty straight forward. The hardest part is accessing everything.
One HDMI from the Roku to The first input of the Orei.
One HDMI from the Blue Ray to the second input of the Orei.
One Optical cable from the Orei to the Fusion stereo.
One HDMI cable from the output of the Orei to the TV.
Make sure you select the correct input and output on the Orei.
Select optical (TV) on the fusion stereo.
Turn off the volume on the actual TVs
Set volume on the Fusion stereo.
Enjoy!
About $100 in parts + the Roku.
Should take less than 3 hours to install and tidy up. I enjoy working on the Airstream and don't rush anything.
Like I said, I installed a surge protector tower with 8 receptacles and multiple USBs. The Roku and Orei are on one level and my Blink camera router, RV Whisper and Airstream connected are on the other.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCross View Post
I do appreciate the suggestion, but it doesn't work.

And to be honest, I dont know how it work. There is no input from the Roku going into the Aux input. The Roku is HDMI direct connected to the TV in your suggestion, as far as I know there is nothing going to the Aux input.

I will continue to investigate and look for solutions
Like many other things I suspect that Airstream has shipped a very large variety of configurations. The suggestion to simply plug the ROKU into the TV and set the stereo to Aux works perfectly on our 19’ FC. and the way it works is there are a set of audio cables going from the TV to the stereo. If I place the stereo in Aux mode whatever is coming out of the TV speakers is also coming out of the stereo. Regardless of the original source.
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
Like many other things I suspect that Airstream has shipped a very large variety of configurations. The suggestion to simply plug the ROKU into the TV and set the stereo to Aux works perfectly on our 19’ FC. and the way it works is there are a set of audio cables going from the TV to the stereo. If I place the stereo in Aux mode whatever is coming out of the TV speakers is also coming out of the stereo. Regardless of the original source.
Correct, they change things. The 2020 Globetrotters don't have audio cable between the TV and stereo. My old 2009 International did have them which worked as you described.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Different set ups

I seem to have a completely different set up than you guys.

My Blueray player is a JVC with what looks like a strange connection to the external speakers.... almost like a amplifier built into the player.

I will continue to play....i might just settle with the tv speakers or look to get a sound bar. This 22 Sport will not be my last Airstream as we are looking to move up to a 25 FC

Thanks for your help

Jeff
Old 09-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
A simple solution

What I came to realize is that the Roku Ultra remote has an audio out. They use it so that you can plug in headphones and listen without disturbing others.

After a quick look, its a simple Aux 3.5mm input.....I went to the local AV store and purchased a male/male 3.5mm cable and plugged into the Aux port of my JVC player. It actually works..... so you can listen via the speakers to the Roku without any lag.

I appreciate all the input, and while my solution isn't as elegant as the others, it works for me.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Belleville , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe15601 View Post
Cables at best buy are expensive, so you will probably get a better deal most anywhere else.
I have the Fusion stereo. There is an optical input on the back of it.
It is pretty straight forward. The hardest part is accessing everything.
One HDMI from the Roku to The first input of the Orei.
One HDMI from the Blue Ray to the second input of the Orei.
One Optical cable from the Orei to the Fusion stereo.
One HDMI cable from the output of the Orei to the TV.
Make sure you select the correct input and output on the Orei.
Select optical (TV) on the fusion stereo.
Turn off the volume on the actual TVs
Set volume on the Fusion stereo.
Joe,
I too have a Globetrotter 23' and did the same exact Orei setup to a new LG smart TV with an ARC HDMI connection. Configured the TV to have both TV speaker and ARC active and/or just ARC active and do not get anything through the Orei optical channel. Any suggestions? (both A and B are on auto and ARC set to on)
JimMussulman is offline   Reply With Quote