Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2017, 02:58 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Resetting the HDMI Splitter

Just got back from a week long maiden voyage with our 27FB Flying Cloud (upgraded from a 23D Flying Cloud). Twice I ended up resetting the HDMI splitter by unplugging and plugging it back in due to it not properly allowing the picture on the bluray player to be shown. In fact, until it was reset, you couldn't see the picture. (BTW, I hate how you can't tell if the Samsung BluRay player is on or off).

Has anybody else noticed any odd behaviors of this HDMI splitter? I suspect it's time to let the warranty fix this since it's new, but wondered if it's this particular splitter (not sure what's behind there since I haven't taken the cabinet apart).

-Wayne
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You may have a defective one.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You can buy a new HDMI splitter for next to nothing (i.e., less than $20.) I would just get one from Amazon and replace it myself. Unless you have a list of other warranty repairs it's not worth taking to the dealer just for this. Odds are that whatever splitter you get from Amazon will be better than the one Airstream originally installed.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Or, it could be low quality HDMI cables that are the issue
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
Or, it could be low quality HDMI cables that are the issue
I keep reading that hdmi cables are hdmi cables...
What is the truth?
Bruce
Old 11-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

2018 16' Sport
Seattle , Washington
I had a similar problem with the ‘L’ shaped HDMI adapter that goes into the back of the Tv. I’d be watching a movie and the picture would disappear. Or, I’d move the Tv on the swing-mount and the HDMI would unseat. Turned out to be a defective end of the HDMI cable. Now the Service Department is going to run an entirely new HDMI cable.
Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I would eliminate the HDMI splitter first as the problem before worrying about bad HDMI cables. It's a lot easier to change out the splitter than it is to run new cables. Also, since the "splitter reset" has worked consistently in the past, it suggests a problem with that device and not a cable.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Resetting the HDMI Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I keep reading that hdmi cables are hdmi cables...

What is the truth?

Bruce

Technically they are all the same as it’s a digital signal. A cheap cable will deliver the same picture as an expensive one within its specification version.

Going from memory here, correct me if I am wrong....

There are different HDMI specifications which define the data speed / resolution the cable can handle. I believe the specs are 1.0, 1.3 and 2.0.

The 1.0 original cables are hard to find these days and will deliver up to 1080p at about 5GB/ sec.

1.3 or “High Speed” cables doubled the speed to about 10GB/sec.

2.0 cables are as fast as the 1.3 cables but changed something to do with the signaling within the HDMI spec.

So depending on your TV and it’s resolution, a cheap High Speed cable will deliver the same signal as a more expensive cable, but may have tighter connectors, be more or less flexible, etc.

So the the difference is in manufacturing. I hope that helps.

I buy the Amazon brand high speed cables and they work for our 4K TV just fine.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable, 6 Feet, 1-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8SSD0..._AIchAb25FQT9N
Old 11-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
HDMI Handshake

I could not tell from your post if your problem was intermittent or not. I had the same problem with the BluRay on my '16 Flying Cloud. After spending a lot of time bypassing cables, checking connections, I ran into a Google search term called "HDMI Handshake". Even found a YouTube video of someone duplicating and explaining the problem. Here is a link to that thread, hope it helps.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...errerid=103283
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
So the problem is intermittent and unplugging the power from the splitter and then powering it back on seems to fix it. But to your point, I am aware of the HDMI handshake issue (I have this issue with my home bluray player when I try to play CDs on it. The solution is to pull the HDMI cable and just use the analog outputs on the Oppo).

Waiting to see what I can glean from the dealer. I talked to them today and they were going to talk to their electronics guy and see what he thought. It isn't the only issue, we have a bit of an issue with the door, but we're going to wait until after our next week of camping in a couple of weeks before we get that looked at, so I may just hold out until then... or I may just replace the bluray player and the HDMI splitter (I'm really not a fan of the Samsung player they put in these units).

-Wayne
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Good luck with the dealer. The service guys at my dealership had never heard of the problem before. I sent them the research I had done and they were glad to get the information.

You raised an interesting point about the Samsung BluRay player, in that you can't tell whether it is off or on. That has always bugged me. If you do replace it, let me know what you did.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Where is this splitter that you speak of? We have a 2013 27FB and I am trying to figure out which coax connection to plug the cable into, the Cable or the Satellite. I currently have the cable plugged into the cable jack on the trailer exterior. For some reason the only way I can get full cable service is to plug into the bedroom jack with a long coax cable and run it through the hallway to the TV in the living area. What makes it even more bizarre is the fact that I have continuity between the jack in the bedroom and the jack in the living area. Any thoughts?
ckcardwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
abqdor, check out this link. Basically, via hdmi, there’s a passing of attached hardware information that allows for better information flow between the hardware (EDID)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exte...ification_Data
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #14
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi wbrisett,

We're sorry to learn about the issue you described in your 2018 27' Flying Cloud. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.