Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
replacing radio antenna on 71

The original radio antenna on my 71 needs to be replaced. I assume I can remove the OEM from the outside without too much hassle. Any advice?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We replaced ours with an auto antenna for an import car. It had an extra mount that keeps it from wobbling around while towing. Is your radio in the front overhead, or is it mounted on the side of the wall near the antenna?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The radio is an aftermarket radio installed in the front overhead. The antenna is roadside front corner.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We replaced ours with an auto antenna for an import car. It had an extra mount that keeps it from wobbling around while towing. Is your radio in the front overhead, or is it mounted on the side of the wall near the antenna?
Was this a generic aftermarket antenna, or for a particular model?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The one you have now - if original - has nuts on the back of the base bolts. The manual shows cutting a hole in the skin to replace the base and entire antenna. I have that hole but chose to keep the original base. We took an antenna with a similar ball and used it in combination with the half ball you will have still attached to the base if you just remove the shaft assembly.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Was this a generic aftermarket antenna, or for a particular model?
It was for "import cars and trucks". IIRC, it looked like something you'd see mounted on the A pillar of a mid-1990's Toyota or Honda.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	77493  
Old 03-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
The one you have now - if original - has nuts on the back of the base bolts. The manual shows cutting a hole in the skin to replace the base and entire antenna. I have that hole but chose to keep the original base. We took an antenna with a similar ball and used it in combination with the half ball you will have still attached to the base if you just remove the shaft assembly.
The problem with the original is the rubber pieces have hardened and shrunk and it also looks like a gasket has broken into pieces and is no longer there. The result is the antenna is loose in the base and will no longer stay in a vertical position. The antenna actually works fine and I would not have to replace it if I could somehow secure it in a vertical position that did not look like a cob job.

It is the original antenna as it appears on page 197 of the 1972 service manual. I don't want to cut a hole in the skin if there is an alternative.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I don't recall there being a gasket but I didn't remove mine completely. All we did was remove each of the retaining bolts and replace them with stainless (one at a time). Again, mine has a 3 inch circle cut on the interior skin.

May be a long shot but, if I recall correctly - there's a retaining nut on the rear of antenna shaft on the interior wall. You might try pulling out on the antenna and turning it clockwise - what that may do is seat the nut inside so the shaft will tighten in it. Hopefully it would only take one turn or the feed cable is going to twist and start fighting you.

The problem as I saw it in replacing the antenna base is the holes it will leave in the skin. I looked everywhere for a base large enough to replace that one (including at the factory) - nothing. Ours was dried out but not really cracked. So I soaked it in 303 Protectant and hope to get a lot more years out of it. Amazon.com: 32 oz. Bottle w/Spray: Your Store
Old 03-28-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Would it be possible to buy gasket material at a Auto parts store and make your own rubber mateiral or gasket? I bought a roll of gasket material and made all different sizes and shapes of gaskets.

Lothlorian
Old 03-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
OK - DO NOT TRY WHAT I SUGGESTED ABOVE. Went out to the trailer today. Instead, remove the screw that holds the two sections of the ball together. Behind that you will see a screw. That screw holds the retaining plate and the remaining ball half to the skin. On the inside is a flat washer and collar nut on the shaft. Try tightening that screw and see if it will firm your attached ball half. Sorry about the wrong information above.

(haven't been to the trailer since fall - I have a d*#@ leak in the curbside armrest - that's for another day)
Old 03-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
remove the screw that holds the two sections of the ball together. Behind that you will see a screw. That screw holds the retaining plate and the remaining ball half to the skin. On the inside is a flat washer and collar nut on the shaft. Try tightening that screw and see if it will firm your attached ball half.
Tried that. The screw that holds the retaining plate just spins, and I'm not ready yet to cut a window in the inside skin.

I'm trying some PC7 epoxy to hold the ball in a vertical position. Last ditch, nothing to loose, effort before I start cutting.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Tried that. The screw that holds the retaining plate just spins, and I'm not ready yet to cut a window in the inside skin.

I'm trying some PC7 epoxy to hold the ball in a vertical position. Last ditch, nothing to loose, effort before I start cutting.
Hope that works for you. The hole on ours was cut with a 3 inch hole saw rather than a square like the manual says. Presume you have the kinda tan speckled skin in yours? I was able to bribe a matching piece large enough to cover the hole from Zep (thanks again Zep) - not sure if he has any left or not. If he hadn't - I was going to cut a piece from behind the sofa and patch that with plain aluminum....
Old 03-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Good Ol Zep

Quote:
I was able to bribe a matching piece large enough to cover the hole from Zep (thanks again Zep)
Zep is supposed to help me put a window in my door, so I should have a window size piece of patch material. Bless his aluminum heart. are you listening Zep?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Lumatic, how did you solve your antenae problem? I took the antenae off our Argosy today because its going for paint soon and the old one looked real bad. Problem is now, I don't know if I can get an original style antenae or if I can find one to match. Did you find a suitable replacement? Bigger problem is I don,t know how to mount even the old one back up without cutting a hole in the trailer from inside. Any help? Thanks, George
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
Lumatic, how did you solve your antenae problem? I took the antenae off our Argosy today because its going for paint soon and the old one looked real bad. Problem is now, I don't know if I can get an original style antenae or if I can find one to match. Did you find a suitable replacement? Bigger problem is I don,t know how to mount even the old one back up without cutting a hole in the trailer from inside. Any help? Thanks, George
PC7 did the job
Old 07-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
You glued the antenae to the trailer?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
You glued the antenae to the trailer?
My problem was the rubber base had shrunk over the years causing the antenna to flop around. The antenna mast actually has 2 parts: the mast itself and a metal base which attaches to the rubber base with a bolt. I used PC7 to 'glue" the metal base to the rubber base. When the PC7 starts to set, you can mold it to a nice finish. The dark color of the PC7 comes pretty close to the rubber base.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
Thanks Lumatic, I get it now.