Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loudon , Tennessee
Replacing my Infotainment System on 2017 ASI

We bought a 2017 Airstream Interstate GT Ext. I am not happy with the Infotainment system and am considering replacing. What would you recommend? Would like to keep it "in dash" but would consider an seperate Garmin like device that is designed with an RV in mind.
Appreciate your thoughts and ideas.
Thanks
JosieNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
You may need to be more specific. Why are you not happy? Is it the GPS, Audio quality, Functionality....etc.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Are you unhappy with the whole thing or just the navi part of it? We had a '17 BMW for a while. The stereo was ok, but clunky when using a phone and the navi was crap, so know the frustration.

I recently upgraded the old radio in my '14 RAM TV and couldn't be happier. I now have a 10" touch screen with full Apple CarPlay/AndroidAuto. I really like the Car Play. I have my phone and my Audible books, Podcasts, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon Music all right there. I think I can control all this with Siri by voice, but haven't gotten that far yet.

Even better is the navi, I'm not tied to one proprietary map or system. I can use Apple Maps or Google Maps or even Gaia, which with saved maps, works up in the mountains with NO cell service. And there's a number of RV mapping apps that I've yet to try.

More expensive units can do the Car Play over bluetooth, but mine needs to be plugged into the phone, which is fine as the phone is always charging.

The down side is installation. I did my own and it took some doing.
Good luck.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Loudon , Tennessee
Why I'm not happy with Infotainment System

Maps & Phone issues:
I hate the Nav and phone systems. With my 2017 ASI ext, I was able to update the system software - but not the maps. According to Garmin, my "time for free map upgrades" has stopped and no ... I am not allowed to just purchase the new map. Crazy. I find the system difficult to use. For example adding an address only seems to let me put in an address but not NAME the place (son's house, dentist, etc). It does not have "voice commands" which my BMW has and which makes life so much easier.

The bluetooth phone connection does not work as it should. It doesn't allow both my husband AND me to pair our phones. It does not download my/our contacts so that we can make calls easily and tell who is calling us. Even if one of us pairs the phone, the next time we get in the RV, the info is gone and we have to do the whole process again.

The above and several other issues have lead me (a complete techno junkie) to decide that there has got to be a better option. Now I just need to find it.

It may be that a separate option from Garmin (or other company) might be the best solution. Or, perhaps there is a better/newer in dash system. For example - what is Airstream putting in the 2020 or 2021 Airstreams. Would that work in our RV ? Just doing some initial investigation.
Thanks
JosieNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Last year, replaced OE Kenwood system with Alpine-iLX-W650 & KTA-450 amplifier. I had earlier replaced the OE stereo systems in Wrangler & BMW with the Alpine systems, and the performance of the Alpine systems was superior to OE. Mapping is provided through either Apple Maps or GAIA GPS The Apple Car Play, though I have a older Garmin as backup. The rear camera easily plugged into the Alpine, and the system offers the option of a front camera as well. Highly recommended.
JJKinnerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
We are also big fans of Apple Carplay. The Siri integration works really well, so you can easily just say "Hey Siri ... get me directions to Eagle Rock Campground in Tucson", "Play the Beatles", "Send Susan a message", "What's the weather like in Flagstaff" etc etc ... and you don't need to be fiddling with a screen or taking your eyes off the road in any way.

We stopped using our Garmin for the live traffic updates in Google Maps or Apple Maps and have never looked back. Still don't understand why car manufacturers keep trying to reinvent the wheel and build their own voice interfaces.
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
El Paso , TX
I bought a used 2017 Interstate GT about 6 months ago. The Garmin radio sounded terrible. I had some discussions with Garmin on the phone and they said that the radio needed to be replaced. They took my old radio and, for a cost, sent me a renovated unit of the same model. I also replaced the four speakers (2 were in the house). The quality of sound improved tremendously but still sub par. The navigation system does not allow you to download a trip to it. The entire unit seems overly complicated and does take a lot of attention away from from looking at the road. One day I will figure out another solution.
lrlevine117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieNurse View Post
Maps & Phone issues:

It may be that a separate option from Garmin (or other company) might be the best solution. Or, perhaps there is a better/newer in dash system. For example - what is Airstream putting in the 2020 or 2021 Airstreams. Would that work in our RV ? Just doing some initial investigation.
Thanks

The new Vans use the MB MBUX system and no, you cannot install one in your van.

You can also call Crutchfield. they are pretty good at helping in a situation like this.

www.crutchfield.com

I found this that should fit.

Kenwood DNX775RVS