Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
Replace Samsung TV with smart tv?

We just bought a new 2017 30' twin flying cloud in April and are living in it full time. We were unaware that we can pick up local channels over the air and already ordered the King tailgater for Dish. After 1 1/2 months of Dish we are disappointed. So packed up the Satellite and opted for an unlimited data plan instead. Internet signal at RV park is too weak. So I have the Dishnet hopper still connected to the Samsung tv that came with the coach and bought a Netgear Dish Network Wifi Adapter kit. Then I run the internet through my iPhone hotspot. This works but is such a pain. I have to Reenter my password every time I want to watch Netflix. Sometimes it just drops and the Dishnet hopper reboots. I'm thinking my Tv is not smart enough or should I disconnect the hopper completely but then where do I plug in the Netgear? I can't plug anything into th tv because it is mounted on the wall. No arm. Next question. If I want to replace the tv how do I get it off the wall? I'm sure with unlimited data plans more readily available there have to be others with this problem. I really got the unlimited plan mainly for our phones and iPads since internet a the RV park is painfully slow. Since we have it I would like to run Netflix and Amazon Prime which is not available at all on the Samsung.so new smart tv, roku, Apple TV or what? Any suggestions?
tschambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I put a ROKU TV in and am happy with it. There is a thread about the install, but it was a simple job. Almost anything is more capable than the Samsung AS installed.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First off "unlimited" plans are anything but unlimited. They have a data cap and when you run over, you get throttled. The speed you go down to is useless for video. Even with the unlimited stuff, if congestion hits, down goes the speed. Full video takes a *lot* of data. Watch a couple of nice movies and you have used your "unlimited" data plan for the month.

A BluRay will feed you 18GB per hour. Unlimited may mean 10GB per device. At BluRay quality you get a half hour. YouTube video runs about 3 GB per hour. Your per device cap is good for a bit over 3 hours at that rate. Yes, compression does matter. You probably can double the "time limit" without it looking to awful. At 5 or 10 to one, you *will* notice the effects.

So simple answer, no it's not really the TV that is the problem. It's the data "pipe" into the TV. To upgrade the "smarts" you are better off getting a Roku or FireTV than to replace the TV. None of the small screen TV's get the same level of same super level of smarts as their big brothers.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
No matter how "smart" the TV is, it's only as good as the wi-fi connection.
Dumb TVs can have Roku, Sling TV, Apple TV, and a myriad of devices added, all intended to provide TV without the cable.
And then there's always the antenna (gasp!) which can grab many channels of free TV from low power DTV stations. They require a city big enough to have stations.
There's no perfect system.........I like books.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
.........I like books.
Hi

A bin full of BluRays rotated each trip works pretty well as a book supplement if you have kids who just *must* have video.

Bob
Old 06-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Your TV is fed from near your BluRay player. You can plug something else in to it by plugging it into the hdmi cable there. We put in an HDMI splitter so we can watch the Apple TV or BluRay from either TV. I'm not sure how your systems work, but I'm assuming they are hdmi. We have yet to receive a signal from the round style antenna when we are camping, so it's nice to have options.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:49 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Chugging around on the east coast, we have been able to get at least one off the air channel each place we have set up. I'll admit that I find that a bit amazing. Past checking the news / weather at breakfast, we didn't really do much TV watching any of those times. The antenna is just the stock "flying saucer" that AS puts on the trailer.

Bob
Old 06-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Englewood , Colorado
I do something similar to norcalmatt. In my 2017 27 international, the hdmi switch is underneath the box holding the DVD player. It is a simple 1x2 switch meaning DVD in, both tvs out. I replaced it with a 4x2 hdmi switch. So I can stream dish, appletv, DVD, other to each tv independently.
Tomhenritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
How are you streaming tv with the slow camp ground internet connections?
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Solon , Ohio
I have been going back and forth with this question on how to watch my TV in the evenings without internet, cable, hoppers or DVD's. I have found that if I log into Netflix at home or while I'm in wifi I can download all the TV Shows, Movies or Discovery Channel I want onto my memory stick from my laptop then plug my stick into my TV and watch my selected movies etc without wifi, cable or cords.

I can't capture my favorite Lester Holt Nightly News but I can fall asleep to my favorite BBC National Parks episode.
Hikia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Simple answer is to get one of the suggested items or more if you want:

1. Amazon FireStick (recommended)
2. AppleTV
3. Roku

Anyone of those three will turn any TV into a TV with apps or "SmartTV".

The other part to your question will be dependent on WiFi signal strength AND speed.

There is a whole thread just for that.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
We've got the 2012 Flying Cloud which was built in 2011. The coax in and out is in the wall under the dinette. There is no coax in up with the blu ray splitter. Anyone figure out a way to get coax up into that cabinet in order to use a splitter for the satellite system?
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
Yes we were surprised how many local channels we can pick up with this antenna. The old fashioned crank up antenna on our truck camper doesn't pick up anything.
I like books too and that's fine in the summer but in the fall and winter on the Pacific north coast books are just not enough to get through all the rain.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
Yes I installed a splitter too to add the receiver for Dish. Got Dosj to work but now Blursy won't work. Just have to play around with it I guess. Pushing buttons is what I'm good at ��
Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
Blursy equals blue ray, dang.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
That might be a solution. I have good wifi at work and have my laptop download. Just need to figure out how to make the memory stick work with the tv. I think I just need to completely disconnect the dish receiver. It seems to interfere.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Consider: From any source I'm aware of, pulling 10 hours of video off the internet will take 10 hours. They only feed it to you just so fast. Coming up with week's worth of TV watching will take quite a while. It's essentially the same issue you run into in a lot of video work, it takes longer to do stuff than you might think.

Bob