Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
replace OEM with satellite dish

considering replacing winegard bat-wing, with a winegard crank-up satellite dish
this one

OTA is just about useless whenever we camp... even with the signal booster

coax cable is already there... so the only real problem would be fishing the separate digital elevation sensor wire-- if I go with that model...

haven't actually measured for clearance space, yet

anybody done this?

thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Most people who park in state park or older campgrounds find mounting the satellite dish to the trailer causes problems getting a signal through the trees. It is much better to have the dish on a tripod so you can move it around without having to repark the trailer every time. If you only park in campgrounds with no trees, then it is not a problem.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I drag my tripod mounted satellite antenna around with me. It's annoying but I can wander around a circle with a radius of 50' to find a clear shot at the southern sky. I'm guessing a good third of the time a permanently mounted antenna on the roof just wouldn't work so it is worth it to me.

You might give your batwing another chance when the digital switchover occurs. Once the digital signal is shifted to main transmitters I think you may have decent reception after all.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Digital signals, especially the HD ones, aren't as forgiving as analog—they don't go as far and the antenna has to be pointed even more carefully. I hope mike is correct and it improves. We have gotten HD signals in a couple of places without cable and they are great when you get them. And then there were places where we couldn't raise the antenna because of trees.

I'm pretty attached to news and business channels, but have survived as long as three days without TV. It's been hard on me. On a fourth day I might resort to serious drinking. Often I can find NPR on the radio and that helps. If we traveled more, I might consider a satellite set up, but seems like more money than I want to spend in this economy.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe
considering replacing winegard bat-wing, with a winegard crank-up satellite dish
this one

OTA is just about useless whenever we camp... even with the signal booster

coax cable is already there... so the only real problem would be fishing the separate digital elevation sensor wire-- if I go with that model...

haven't actually measured for clearance space, yet

anybody done this?

thanks
FinalCut,

Wondering if you made the switch and if so how it worked out. I was considering the WINEGARD RM DM61 crank up dish but am not sold on the concept yet.

Don