Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Radio antenna help please

I just installed JVC car radio/CD player under control panel in our '71 Tradewind LY.
Everything works except radio signal is basically not there. The original antennae wire is being used for the hook-up, but does not fit the hole on the radio itself. I started to solve that by looking for an adapter online. Quickly found out that they are listed by auto year and make, and since AS is not listed, was not able to order an adapter. In the meantime I have wrapped the male end of the AS antenna wire with aluminum foil trying to make contact and use the radio until I can find the correct adapter. Has not worked.

Help please.
Tom
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Rivet View Post
I just installed JVC car radio/CD player under control panel in our '71 Tradewind LY.
Everything works except radio signal is basically not there. The original antennae wire is being used for the hook-up, but does not fit the hole on the radio itself. I started to solve that by looking for an adapter online. Quickly found out that they are listed by auto year and make, and since AS is not listed, was not able to order an adapter. In the meantime I have wrapped the male end of the AS antenna wire with aluminum foil trying to make contact and use the radio until I can find the correct adapter. Has not worked.

Help please.
Tom
Hi Tom,

I can't tell from your description exactly what you are doing. however what I think you are doing is probably causing the antenna to be grounded to the chassis of the radio. That would definitely cause the radio signal to be very weak or not there at all. I would suggest buying a connector that fits the radio. Then cut off the old connector from the antenna cable and solder ( or however it is designed to be attached) it to the antenna cable.

If you posted some pictures of both connectors and what you are doing with the tin foil, that might help.

regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Yep. As they say, this thread is useless without pics.

If you post photos, we can probably identify the connectors and point you towards a source of adapters. The recent aftermarket car stereos all use the same cheesy connector so it's mainly a matter of figuring out what's on the airstream.

Soldering a coax splice is difficult even for the initiated so I don't know if I'd recommend that.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Trying to rig up an adapter maybe an exercise in frustration. In the meantime,find a cheap portable ray-jo wit head phones. They never brake.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The antennnea adapters are either large diameter of small. It sounds like the AS wire has the large male end & the radio has a small female end. I picked mine up at the local AutoZone store. Go there before you start cutting the wire. Look at parts 40-GM12 & 40-GM21.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote