Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Cumberland , Rhode Island
Radio

Trying to change the radio in a 76 31ft land yart
Darone2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Darone2007, welcome to the forums.

Unless you want to keep your rig completely original or have a huge collection of 8 track tapes, I'd suggest getting a current model stereo.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darone2007
You can usually find NPR on 91.5 or 88.9.... use the round knob on the right.

OK, serious here. Get a new automotive radio with CD player. Make sure it can play MP3 and WMA (not quite as important) formats. Decent models available for $120 or less.

A new radio will come with a pigtail connector with 12 wires:

4-Forward Speakers
4-Rear Speakers
1-Power
1-Ground
1-Keep-alive (connect this to 12V, this keeps the clock running)
1-Antenna Drive (not needed, used in cars with motorized antennas)

When you take out the old radio, you will find only 10 wires. Eight wires go to the speakers through 2-wire plugs, one for each speaker. You really don't need to retain the plugs, but if you like the idea of occasionally removing the radio (I doubt you'll ever need to do it), cut the wires close to the old radio. You can use small wire nuts (Radio Shack or maybe even Home Depot) or crimp-on wire joints to reconnect to the new pigtail. Your use manual will tell you the color code for each pair of speaker wires. The nice thing about retaining the plugs is that if you make an error in left-right or front-rear, you can fix it by just unplugging. One word of caution on the speakers--modern amplifiers don't have a "ground" side for each speaker pair. You must connect all 8 wires individually, eg, you can't buss the "ground" side together to reduce the wire count (why would you want to do this? well, if you were rewiring the shell and wanted to add maybe an outside speaker connection).

The other two wires are power and ground, with an inline fuse in the power lead. When you wire the power, you have to wire both the power lead and the "keep-alive" lead together to 12V. The "keep-alive" keeps your station memory and clock running. The "power" lead lights up the display. In a car, when you turn on the ignition, the power comes on and the display lights up. We don't have such a "vehicle occupied" switch in our Airstreams, so you'll have a small but continuous current keeping the display lit up. You can decrease the "off" current to the radio by removing the face plate (this is a theft deterent feature of almost all new radios and is easy to do). Even with the face plate removed, you'll always have a small current (so small that the self-discharge on your battery will be many times bigger) keeping the clock running.

Maybe this sounds complicated, but it's pretty easy once you start pairing up the speaker wires. The old antenna connector is the same on modern radios. You're only challenge will be to make a new panel that the radio will fit in. Your new radio will come with a sheet metal cage--make a panel with a rectangle that just fits this cage and secure it by bending the tabs inward to grip the inner face of the new panel. Then the radio will slip into the cage and lock automatically (there is a thin metal key that unlocks the radio from the cage so you can slide it out).

Zep
Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #4

1976 31' Sovereign
Unhappy How do I change the radio

Quote:
I Just cant see how to remove the radio. I think I might have to remove the sofa. Can somebody help?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Another Use for the Keep-alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
1-Keep-alive (connect this to 12V, this keeps the clock running)

Zep
I agree with everything Zep said, with one addition. The Keep-alive can also be used to alert a separately amped subwoofer system that the CD player is on. I have a Sansui subwoofer and amp in my ’67 Trade Wind from back when Sansui made really excellent audiophile equipment. It will find its way into the Excella along with a Blaupunkt Casablanca CD player rescued from my old Audi. I am not sure of its MP3 capabilities, but I already have it.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
I agree with everything Zep said, with one addition. The Keep-alive can also be used to alert a separately amped subwoofer system that the CD player is on. I have a Sansui subwoofer and amp in my ’67 Trade Wind from back when Sansui made really excellent audiophile equipment. It will find its way into the Excella along with a Blaupunkt Casablanca CD player rescued from my old Audi. I am not sure of its MP3 capabilities, but I already have it.
VS, one small error. The "keep-alive" (my terminology) is a power input, direct from the battery bus. The "power" wire is from the accessory bus, which is hot only when the ignition is on or key is in the accessory position. I think you're thinking of the power antenna output, which comes alive when the radio is turned on (and has power from the power input lead).

I was thinking of using the antenna output in the same way, but I didn't know enough about the external amplifier logic....

Zep
Old 04-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet My Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
VS, one small error. The "keep-alive" (my terminology) is a power input, direct from the battery bus. The "power" wire is from the accessory bus, which is hot only when the ignition is on or key is in the accessory position. I think you're thinking of the power antenna output, which comes alive when the radio is turned on (and has power from the power input lead).

I was thinking of using the antenna output in the same way, but I didn't know enough about the external amplifier logic....

Zep
Hi Zep,

Absolutely correct! I hate that part about computers where you have to copy the correct thing just to get what you want. It should just know what I meant.

Thanks for the correction.

The subwoofer does add a lot to all kinds of music, including classical. It is a 10” one with a smaller amp. I am not trying to get the massive rappers’ trunk lid rattling bass, just a nice fill for bass notes, including pipe organ. Doesn’t hurt with the old Cream albums either.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
... just a nice fill for bass notes, including pipe organ. Doesn’t hurt with the old Cream albums either.
Very coool....
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
I Just cant see how to remove the radio. I think I might have to remove the sofa. Can somebody help?
How about photographs? Neither one of my radios is anywhere near a sofa. Surely some can help if they know what you are dealing with.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Yours is in a "credenza"/arm rest along the curb side wall? Sorta flips out? I had to use a small nuke. Try to remove the "flip out" by removing screws or rivets in the piano hinge. You have to take out the whole thing in order to get at the screws that hold the radio. Just guesing. Photo would help, of course.

Zep
Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #11

1976 31' Sovereign
I will try to send some photos not sure how to get them on the web site. my radio is a old 8 track It just dont seem to work. i think that if i could get the sofa on the right hand side(that is not a bed)out or moved ,i might be able to take the radio out. This airstream has been sitting for 32 years and just trying to get everything working. not sure how to get the dump valves to work to. But that for a other day. Thanks zep,vaughn and everybody else.