Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Preventing TV wall mount from extending while traveling

I don’t know if others have experienced this irritant, but our extendable bedroom TV wall mount would extend when traveling or when we bumped into it inadvertently.

The solution I found is a U shaped block that slips onto the mount arms and prevents them from separating (see picture). I cut the block out of a piece of hard plastic but I imagine that wood could also be used. So far it seems to do the job.

Any other solutions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MountWithBlock.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	354433   Click image for larger version

Name:	MountBlock.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	354434  

DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Sounds like the spring loaded lock is broken or stuck. It should “click” flat when the TV is pressed against the all. I’d check that out.... there is a strap below that disengages the locking mechanism....

I have the exactly the same mount and mine locks so it does not extend while in motion.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Our 2013 25FB has just one TV, in the living area. It is also on an extendable mount.

It used to always stay latched, but a couple times lately the mount has extended a bit while we were underway. 38,000 miles on the trailer.

Your block looks like it will work. I think I might try a velcro strap first.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yeah, I use a velcro strap on my bedroom TV, that has never latched.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I found out that the TV brackets need a little silicone spray to keep them functioning properly. It also stops the squeaks and squawks that get pretty annoying. The lock works much better

Do not spray without setting something out to protect your bedding or seating under the TV or you'll be sleeping with the dog.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
The problem I have is not with the arm extending but the HDMI cable coming out of the back of the television after travel.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Extendable TV

Our bedroom TV has the swing mount and I've never trusted it to lock. I use a velcro strap to wrap around it and the frame when traveling. Never have had a problem. I did the same thing with our awning..a grey piece of velcro keeps it from potentially coming out while traveling. Velcro is almost as handy as duct tape...
Star Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Sounds like the spring loaded lock is broken or stuck. It should “click” flat when the TV is pressed against the all. I’d check that out.... there is a strap below that disengages the locking mechanism....

I have the exactly the same mount and mine locks so it does not extend while in motion.
I concur. You may have to oil the spring.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We've been over some pretty crazy roads. Neither of the TV's has "auto extended" while in transit. I agree that the latch on yours sounds like it is not functioning properly.

The magic block you show would be pretty easy to 3D print.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post

Thanks Wulfraat, I checked the spring loaded pin and it does seem to operate normally when you pull the strap down, but it doesn't "click in" and hold the two wall mount arms together when you press the TV against the wall.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Tumwater , Washington
Have 2019 international and have had this problem. Spring locking mechanism would often get stuck in the lock position. Used a Velcro strap to clamp it down instead. Took the trailer in for some warranty work and they decided to replace the entire tv mount.
Dawgstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ship View Post
Our bedroom TV has the swing mount and I've never trusted it to lock. I use a velcro strap to wrap around it and the frame when traveling. Never have had a problem. I did the same thing with our awning..a grey piece of velcro keeps it from potentially coming out while traveling. Velcro is almost as handy as duct tape...
We have the straps and velcro solution. It works very well and we never have to worry about the TV
Old 10-18-2019, 08:54 PM   #13

2013 22' FB Sport
Cross Plains , Wisconsin
I bought a trailer and the small sleeve that held the retractable bin was damaged and it would stay secure -- drilled out old sleeve and bought a new sleeve at hardware store -- glued in and it now holds securely. Sleeve was less that $2. If pin works, easy fix.
Grhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Good for you. Mine has always auto-extended from the first day of ownership. Dealer's help was to tell me push it in until it clicks. That, like much of the advice given, seems obvious but ineffective. I wouldn't ask for help if the normal operation worked.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
The problem I have is not with the arm extending but the HDMI cable coming out of the back of the television after travel.

Bill that’s one issue that needs some thought, believe me you do not want a broken HDMI connector, ask me how I know!
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A

[QUOTE=StreamNTyme;2299660]We have the straps and velcro solution. It works very well and we never have to worry about

Velcro, Gorilla Tape, ZIP Ties are all my favorites
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:06 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
Good for you. Mine has always auto-extended from the first day of ownership. Dealer's help was to tell me push it in until it clicks. That, like much of the advice given, seems obvious but ineffective. I wouldn't ask for help if the normal operation worked.
Hi

Indeed "back then" it should have been replaced while you were under warranty.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhyer View Post
I bought a trailer and the small sleeve that held the retractable bin was damaged and it would stay secure -- drilled out old sleeve and bought a new sleeve at hardware store -- glued in and it now holds securely. Sleeve was less that $2. If pin works, easy fix.
This makes sense but in my case, and possibly others, the pin in the lower arm which is pushed up by its spring doesn't extend far enough into the sleeve. In addition, the head of the pin is rounded, so it doesn't take much lateral pressure for it to slide out of the sleeve and for the arms to extend; in which case, you don't need the strap to pull down the pin, just pull the TV towards you and the pin will be pushed down and slide out of the sleeve. If you keep an upwards pressure on the pin with your fingers to keep it in place, the arms will not separate.

So if you wrap the strap tightly around both arms to hold the pin in place and secure the strap with Velcro (or an elastic band), the arms will stay together and not extend.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:18 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Same issue. The lock works fine but bouncing that inevitably occurs on some of our rotten roads is enough to pop it out from the locking pin. I wrap the closed arms with a heavy twisty that's available from Home Depot. It does the job but getting it on securely is a bit of a pain. I love your block solution assuming it's tight enough that IT doesn't bounce off. Some of the roads we've been on in this country are in dire condition!
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote