Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
Press for 1 second to turn off the power
Press for 2 seconds or more to turn off the power and the display disappears.

My recollection is that the first option shows the time & the second option does inn fact go dark.
. . .
OK on our model, you have to put a pause between steps 1 and 2, which I had not been doing.

1. press SRC (top left) to turn off unit, and wait a second or two
2. press and hold SRC down until unit turns off entirely -- no lights on the face plate.

Bingo! On the top right of p. 4 of our manual, under Basic Operations, there is a small note about this, but the type was so tiny that I could not read it the other night. Enlarging the saved PDF (linked earlier) made this clear.

Chalk it up to (vision-impaired) operator error I guess . . .

PS -- Thanks Bob for hanging in here. A great relief to have total darkness on the face of the Pioneer radio. I assume the parasitic draw is close to Nil at this point.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrathwell View Post
. . .
We are headed out to Galveston Beach for Easter Weekend. I cannot wait to jump into the dep end of the electronic pool and learn how to operate the system.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
. . .
I put a separate switch on the radio,
. . .
Curious to know if the solution I just found works on your units.

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Peter

PS lrathwell, careful of that "dep" end, it may in fact be shallow! Depending of course . . . [sorry couldn't resist . . . ]
Old 03-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
OK on our model, you have to put a pause between steps 1 and 2, which I had not been doing.

Bingo! On the top right of p. 4 of our manual, under Basic Operations, there is a small note about this, but the type was so tiny that I could not read it the other night. Enlarging the saved PDF (linked earlier) made this clear.

Chalk it up to (vision-impaired) operator error I guess . . .

PS -- Thanks Bob for hanging in here. A great relief to have total darkness on the face of the Pioneer radio. I assume the parasitic draw is close to Nil at this point.
Peter, The vision impaired reminds me of my reading of the Washington Ferry Schedule this week. Almost impossible to read the exception notes.

Glad it all worked for you.

On our next trip I need to pay more attention to store/use switch re the defaulting to demo and get a better handle on that.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
On our next trip I need to pay more attention to store/use switch re the defaulting to demo and get a better handle on that.

Bob
I am guessing that if you first turn the unit off fully, it will retain in its memory the fact that you toggled the Demo mode Off. When I turned mine on this morning, it was right where I left it in a basic non-Demo mode last night.

In contrast, putting the battery switch in Store before you turn the radio off fully (dark -- now that we know how to do it) may be what forces the unit to reboot and bring up the Demo mode again? Just guessing . . .

Nice song for the occasion!
Old 03-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
I am guessing that if you first turn the unit off fully, it will retain in its memory the fact that you toggled the Demo mode Off. When I turned mine on this morning, it was right where I left it in a basic non-Demo mode last night.

In contrast, putting the battery switch in Store before you turn the radio off fully (dark -- now that we know how to do it) may be what forces the unit to reboot and bring up the Demo mode again? Just guessing . . .

Nice song for the occasion!

Peter, I'm Glad you enjoyed. Elephant Mountain is a fav circa SD.

Congrats on your testing this a.m. I think you're right on the store switch and does it makes sense. My next time at storage I'll test the theory. I also want to play with the flash drives & the Sony....folders...albums and which are easier to navigate/play.

bob
Old 03-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The radio is wired through the USE/Store switch, so if it is in STORE, there is no draw from the radio. However, if the USE/Store switch is put in the USE position, the radio reverts to the Demo/disco lights mode, and takes close to one amp for the show lights. If you are not plugged into grid power, it will eat into your batteries rapidly over a day or so. My radio is behind a cabinet door so it is not visible, and can easily be turned on by accident this way. Since you can't see it doing it's dance, there go your batteries.

I put a separate switch on the radio, so this cannot happen. It turns off all power to the radio. Period. I only turn it on when I want to actively use the radio (which is rare) or use the radio for the TV sound amplification (which is also rare).
irdoba, thanks for the feedback and advice. I was thinking the radio switch was intended to stop the draw when in storage, but it sounds like a boon-docking necessity.

Thanks again

Bob
Old 03-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
CruzinDux, and others.

To better understand why the radio does what it does you first have to understand that it was built for use in a car or truck, it is not a specially made unit for an RV, and certainly not for an Airstream.

As designed by the maker, for a car the radio has two 12 volt input wires. One supplies the power to run the radio when the car is in operation, that is when the car key is on either in the running mode or accessory mode. It supplies the power to run the radio circuits and amplifier as well as the display. It switches on and off with the key. Thus the display shuts off every time the key is off. Works great in the car.

The other input wire is connected directly to the car 12 volt system in a location which is always hot. That is full time 12 volt power, never turned off unless the car battery is disconnected, as when it is changed for a new one. This wire controls the radio station pre sets, runs the clock (but not the clock display), and in general keeps the memory hot all the time. It takes relatively little power to do this, maybe 10 to 15 mA in many cases. Since the car is used frequently, the large car battery is not run down and stressed by this situation. It is recharged by the alternator, and the car can sit probably a month or so with no real issues. No lights are on in the display.

Now, when that same auto radio is put into an RV such as an Airstream, what does the manufacturer do with the two input wires? There is no Ignition key switch to allow things like the display lights to be turned off when not needed. So what normally happens is the two wires are hooked together and the display lights and clock (if the radio has a clock) are always on. Turn the radio off, the clock time displays. Unfortunately this can take a LOT more power 24/7/365. The display may take 100 mA to almost 1 full amp in the case of the disco/demo display on the Pioneer radio in question. In a car, the ignition switch turns the display off, not so in the RV, as there is no ignition switch. To further drive you nuts, the default mode, if the total power is removed, comes back on. In this case the default mode is the disco light display. So, if you remove all power from the radio, back to square one, like it was new out of the box.

In the Airstream all power is removed from the radio if the USE/STORE switch is placed in STORE and the trailer is not plugged into grid power. Now lets say you are storing the Airstream in a location where no grid power is available. You have the switch in STORE, all is shut down, you believe. And mostly it is. The radio is shut down and no power is being used by it at all.

But you stop in to check it out one day, and on entry, you hit the USE button so you can have some lights for a short time. That turns the radio on (in the default mode, the disco lights). It is behind a cabinet door and you don't see the lights on. You go out and forget to push the STORE mode. Or you deliberately say, hell, I am going to be back next week, and I didn't leave any lights on, so no big deal. But it is a big deal, the radio went active and is taking a full amp (the measurement on mine) to run the disco display which you could not see was activated. 24 amp hours a day will kill the batteries in a few days. If left on a month by accident, the batteries probably will be ruined and will not recharge properly, ever.

So, the problem Airstream faces is what to do? They are using a car radio in an application it was not designed for.

My solution is to put a switch on the radio so I can be sure that all power is shut off to both wires, and even if the U/S switch is accidentally or deliberately turned on there will be no detrimental affects. The downside is that the station memory is always removed, and that I have to reset the disco lights to off when I do want to use the radio. So, I have to remember how to do that, and as you know, it is not an intuitive process.

I hope this helps in understanding the Pioneer Radio dilemma. I am sure the Sony is similar. There is just no easy work around in this case, for Airstream or the Airstream owner.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks idroba and Bob.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
idroba thanks for your explanation. it was extremely helpful. As was at Blue yesterday and had a change to play with the S/U switch and see the effect on the " press for 2 seconds for all dark" display. I suspect that when camping w/ SP, that as long is stay on the Use, that function and the demo will still be as I programmed them. I think it's going to store while on SP that may be triggering the reset.

Peter, thanks too for your confirmation and feedback on you unit. I'm sure there is symmetry to a great extent here.

Thanks again for all you help, info and insight.

Bob
Old 04-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
To update --

Our FC20 was built in April 2014 according to the VIN plate on the exterior street side. [Bob your document is for some other build date IMO, perhaps of some component?]
Peter I checked the VIN and I have a build date of October 2013. So your 7 month newer unit explains whey you have the newer LP drains, which also means your radio version is newer....probably still not very different.

b