Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #41
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Out with the old, in with the new (Audio Visual upgrade)

Your 2016 is identical to my 2017.

Install takes a couple hours or so if you have all the right bits and tools handy... measure twice and cut once!

I much prefer double din because I like a visual interface vs pushing obscure buttons. Easy for everyone to use and the app radio blends into a modern airstream decor nicely Also required for Apple car play with iPhone.

Pioneer has always presented value for the money.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
I assume the cut for this one was eventless as well?

I really appreciate your taking the time to share with us.

I will get started.

Any “odd” items to pick up? I saw your recommendation for the lock out switch. Anything else?
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #43
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Cut is straight forward but it must be exact (+/- 1mm) to the size of the radio bracket.

Some important things to have:

1. Make sure you have masking tape (so the laminate does not get scratched by the jigsaw)

2. A jigsaw (I rented one from Home Depot)

3. Fine laminate blade for jigsaw (otherwise you can tear up the laminate when cutting)

4. Pro tip - use these for your wire connections - they are a must! Don’t bother with butt connectors or soldering. These are the pros choice

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I1...JmL&ref=plSrch

5. A volt meter is handy if you have one when working with 12v devices

6. Don’t forget a parking brake bypass module - these are made specific to the radio manufacturer AND model and are absolutely required for a double din system. If you do not install one you will be locked out of certain critical functions due to US law preventing the user from manipulating certain high cognitive load functions whilst driving. There is a secondary method to bypass (for pioneer at least) but is a pita.

For example, here is the one I used for a pioneer appradio 4:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NQL00W..._NqgGAbE1HE23A

7. Have some electrical tape handy to keep your install clean.

8. Have a good set of wire cutters / strippers handy for your connections

9. For speaker install have a good set needle nose pliers handy - I had to manipulate the female connectors on the factory wires to better grab the smaller Polk audio male speaker wire posts.

10. For your bracket - I couldn’t find the same bracket previously posted in this thread... so I bought a generic one from eBay. Size matters - make sure that it is the correct size for the head unit you buy. Mine was 100mm - Universal Double DIN Car Stereo European Radio Sleeve Cage Mounting Kit 100mm US. It would be an irreversible disaster if you bought a bracket that was too big, then cut a hole in the upper cabinet check all
your fittings before you make any cuts.

11. I needed an adapter to make the existing microphone work with my particular head unit so that I could use speakerphone in the trailer with my Apple device. Bought on eBay - 2.5mm Mono Plug(Male) to 3.5mm Mono Jack(Female) Adaptor - Gold Plate.... you’ll need to check the specs on your head unit to see if it has a 2.5mm female mono mic connector - the factory mic has a 3.5mm plug.

12. Have some double sided 3M VHB tape handy. You’ll need to cut a couple small strips to stick the mounting bracket faceplate trim on when the install is complete. Don’t use too much so that you don’t destroy the trim trying to take it off down the road...

13. Have a small philips screw driver handy for the tiny screws that come with the radio mounting bracket

14. Have your stock radio removal keys handy for removing the old radio (these would have come with the airstream when you bought it - hopefully you kept them, otherwise you’ll need to order a new pair from eBay... the are head unit specific.

15. I used an electric drill with Philips screwdriver bit and low torque setting to remove / install speaker screws. 32 screws (removed /install) is not something you want to do by hand.

16. Pro tip - to remove the existing speaker grills from the $5 factory clarion speakers to gain access to their mounting screws use a small jackknife, put the blade between the metal grill and plastic frame and pry it out.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head... report back with a progress report - good luck!
Old 02-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Perfect !

Thank you.

Last question.

Why did you not use the HDMI input? And did you have to buy separate split cables for the video inputs of the BlueRay and TV?
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #45
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

I didn’t have a second splitter handy so I left audio flowing to the Television and then back to the head unit via the stereo RCA cables.

I may put a second hdmi splitter in at some point and leverage digital audio format delivery from dvd to head unit in the future ....
Old 02-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
I’ve been looking at various videos about the AppRadio. Couple of questions.
I saw where you can view videos on the screen from the iPhone by connecting an adaptor to the lower USB port in the back. Did you do this and did you run the lightening cables to be accessible anywhere for CarPlay and video?
Will the videos from the phone show on the TV screen by connecting the rca cables in back?
Did you consider rca to hdmi to run hdmi to the TV?
Thanks
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #47
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
I saw where you can view videos on the screen from the iPhone by connecting an adaptor to the lower USB port in the back. Did you do this and did you run the lightening cables to be accessible anywhere for CarPlay and video?
No, I use a separate Apple TV device for iPhone mirroring on my TV. For my setup, there is no point in pushing iPhone video to the AppRadio screen as I have a method to push directly to the 28" Samsung via HDMI.

Quote:
Will the videos from the phone show on the TV screen by connecting the rca cables in back?
They will not, out of the box. The only RCA cables that run from radio to TV is for audio, there is no composite video. You would need to use an RCA composite to HDMI device to transform output from the AppRadio to HDMI, then connect that into the HDMI feed in the back of the DVD player. You would also be restricted to 480i resolution with this approach.

Quote:
Did you consider rca to hdmi to run hdmi to the TV?
I did for a moment, but because of the 480i resolution restriction when you convert from composite video opted for an Apple TV approach instead. My Apple TV device sits on top of my DVD player and I have a 4-port HDMI switch to select between Apple TV, DVD and other 1080i / 4k video output devices. Also supports wireless mirroring which is more convenient than a physical lightning connector.

That trick is really for people who want to watch video in their car......
Old 02-13-2018, 06:27 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Cool. I have Apple TV. Do you feed the audio from the back of the TV to the radio in order to use your AppRadio connected speakers?
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 PM   #49
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Cool. I have Apple TV. Do you feed the audio from the back of the TV to the radio in order to use your AppRadio connected speakers?

Yes, exactly. Via the RCA stereo wires that are already in place.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
WR, first off, great write up and detail, thanks. Didn't come to this thread looking to upgrade my receiver (since the last thing I need is another upgrade ) but now you have me thinking.
Actually was looking for detail on the existing tuner and if anyone knew of how the black stick FM antenna on the roof was connected (or not). I have horrible FM reception and upon pulling the panel and looking at the tuner (without wiring diagram), cant really tell where the antenna input is, expect there is a thin/short light blue wire that goes from the tuner/receiver that is 10 inches long that goes to nothing, that says (ANT) on it.
Am thinking of putting in that King Jack antenna and according to the manufacturer, if you put a coax splitter inline and tap into it and connect it to your FM tuner, you have a new antenna. Aside from the new KJ TV antenna, my old black fm stick antenna is looking right shabby and thinking of either replacing or removing it. Just a side thought, does your new Pioneer have a coax antenna input?
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #51
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
The radio antenna is different from the tv antenna. Separate units.

The radio antenna that is mounted on the roof of your airstream is terminated with a standard car stereo plug like this one.... it plugs directly into the head unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	309964  
Old 05-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Thanks WR. Do you know if the cable used in that connection is coax, albeit with a different connector/plug?
Will call King to ask them to better explain the comment they made about splitting their tv antenna coax to feed the fm signal to the radio.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
Thanks WR. Do you know if the cable used in that connection is coax, albeit with a different connector/plug?
Will call King to ask them to better explain the comment they made about splitting their tv antenna coax to feed the fm signal to the radio.
That is a coax cable, with a standard car radio antenna plug...usually it's really cheap coax and good for FM band at best...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #54
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Mine did a good job with FM and HD digital radio reception.

These units support sat radio as well (XM) with subscription.

95% of the time I Bluetooth to it though and stream from my phone using LTE
Old 05-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Hdmi!

Finally, the search term "HDMI" appears in the 4th page of this thread. We are buying a trailer that apparently has an HDMI cord plugged into the back of the LG 22" TV and the other end of it is a RCA composite video cable plugged into the JVC unit that is included.

I have asked this question on my trailer specific forum area (sport 22fb) and I have gotten "crickets" for days.

What is Airstream doing here, hiding the HDMI-to-composite cable in the walls or does the HDMI cable run all the way to the mobile DVD receiver? (Last possibility is that adapter is right there behind the TV with the right angle adapter!) There are code rated CL2 HDMI cables designed to be wired in walls of almost unlimited lengths.

I have to admit that I am asking this having never laid eyes on our trailer yet, only going by the downloaded manuals for the electronics and the closely observed video tours of the trailer.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #56
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Airstream would not have rolled one off the floor with an hdmi - component or composite cable. And I don’t believe they have ever supplied LG TVs.

Sounds like the previous owner changed the TV to an LG and used an adapter. The adapter won’t be in the wall.... it’s got to be floating around the TV or DVD player somewhere....
Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Airstream would not have rolled one off the floor with an hdmi - component or composite cable. And I don’t believe they have ever supplied LG TVs.

Sounds like the previous owner changed the TV to an LG and used an adapter. The adapter won’t be in the wall.... it’s got to be floating around the TV or DVD player somewhere....
I'm picking up a brand new 2018 Sport 22FB. Here is the best video on a fairly current one (2017).

The JVC is shown right when he steps into the trailer at the 3 minute mark, the LG TV is shown at the 16 minute mark. When he swings the TV back you can see the right angle HDMI fitting inserted. The LG model has no composite inputs, just an HDMI and a RF jack.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #58
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I stand corrected!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Richmond , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I stand corrected!
I've got a '17 27FB and it has a Samsung with HDMI-in from the Clarion M303 also.

wulfraat, if you were doing this again, what would you choose as a head unit? The industry changes so quickly, every year more options avail.

Yesterday I checked out the Pioneer AVH-3300NEX. Single DIN but has a retractible 7" screen, and fully functional with, or without, the screen deployed. No cutting required to fit in the slot where the horrid M303 sits. I know you didn't want a mechanical screen, but its a pretty slick unit, and the duty cycle in a trailer would be light. Its Apple Car Play and Android Auto, and can play all file formats.

The biggest question for me I haven't quite figured out, is how to incorporate the DVD blue ray player that came with the trailer.

None of these high end AV decks are "RV" rated but I don't see that as an issue in our rigs, do you?

Awesome write-up btw, thanks for this!!
Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #60
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Ha! I did do it again and in my new 2017 trailer last year and second time around I installed a pioneer AppRadio 4 SPH-DA120.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio

I wired in the Samsung DVD player for audio via the TV. I like CarPlay and the streamlined looks of this pioneer head unit....

Always double DIN.

Also went with a slightly higher end polk speaker set - MM1 series.

They only downside is that it doesn’t have HD radio for some reason... but I mainly listen to music via my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	314552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	314553