Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
New 29" TV and Surround Sound in 27FB

I have a 2009 27FB at I have been living in full time for two years so I watch TV a little more than those on a weekend trip. I've always enjoyed good sound and quality TV picture so the stock 23"TV and speaker system left a lot to be desired. After searching for a bit I found a small speaker system that didn't break the bank and wasn't too obtrusive.

About six months ago I bought the Onkyo HTX-22HDX with just two speakers for the moment but I plan on adding a center channel soon. It's not too bad sound wise for what it is. I found some speaker mounts that allowed me to mount the speakers below the TV.

Heres the picture of my old TV with the speakers.

Here's a link to the speaker mounts I used. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

The previous owner had already put in a HDMI cord to the TV and built in a platform to put a Direct TV box in the rear upper storage area. I took out the stock CD 6 disk changer and put an XBox 360 in its place, an Apple TV, and also my old BluRay player. I used a 5 port HDMI switch to connect the BluRay player, Apple TV, and XBox to the single HDMI cable routed to my Onkyo system on the floor under my table.

After watching the small 23" TV I wanted something larger but the 32" TV was too big. I could have made it work because my tv bracket is able to rotate 90 degrees to store it in but I didn't want the TV to take up that much space. Several days ago I noticed Samsung had just come out with a 29" TV that would fit and that was just what I was looking for. I went with the Samsung UN29F4000 model which is very simple but good enough picture quality. The only thing I want that isn't available for the 29" class is the ability to use the HDMI cable to send sound info to the surround sound system. I would have had to go with the 32" TV for that feature. I do get the sound out of my Onkyo system when I use my BluRay, Apple TV, and XBox. I can also stream music through my Apple TV from my computer or IPad.

For those who say the bigger TV is too much weight the 29" TV with my speakers attached is actually lighter than my old 23" TV alone so I'm not worried about the weight on the TV mount.

Here's a picture of the new TV installed. The 29" TV is a very good fit for one who want a bigger TV but will still lock in place for travel.

FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
I just installed the same model Samsung in my 2005. Great picture and very lightweight. Based on some quick comparisons, it has a noticeably better picture than the other 29" contenders (Vizio, Toshiba & LG) and is only 2" thick as well. While it does not have a fixed RCA audio out, I hooked mine into my premiered AV wiring harness using a 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter from the headphone jack to back haul the audio to the original sound system.

I used a Mor/Ryde TVT1-021 mount for mine - mount weighs more than the TV
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote