Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2024, 01:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
New 25' FC TV and Bluetooth connectivity question.

I have a friend who just got a new 25' AS. His LG TV was broke on delivery and they tried to give him a "knockoff" brand, like they are using in the bedroom. Bedroom TV works by the way....AS tech told him if he wanted to get a new 28" Smart HD TV, he should try to get one with bluetooth, so he can use his stock radio receiver? I have couple questions:

1) shouldn't any new HD Smart TV 28" work by just plugging in the RGB connections from where the old TV was mounted, or do the new AS models not come with the wiring for the surround sound with subwoofer wired into the audio system?

2) why would ne need Bluetooth?? Seems to me after looking at several specs on 28-32" smart tv's, bluetooth is not a feature most offer/ or perhaps even need? (except perhaps for headphones that use bluetooth?)

I appreciate the help...I am a bit embarrassed to admit, I've slipped a "step or two" in the audio area since retirering....when I got a new 32" Samsung Smart UHD TV for my 28', the speakers would not work when I tried to just plug in the RGB cables, so I just got a Bose Series II soundbar and mounted it below the TV. Works great!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The new trailers do not any way to connect wires from the radio to the TV. The suggestion was to get blue tooth to connect to the stereo the same as connecting to headphones.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Woodinville , Washington
This is an area Airstream did not handle very well. They should have had an optical cable from the tv to the head unit in order to provide the tv audio through the on board system. Instead, they are suggesting you use the Bluetooth in the tv to send the audio to the head unit. This works “ok”, but there is a sound lag and bluetooth audio is not as high fidelity as optical. Another option would have been hdmi earc but the head unit they use does not have an hdmi input.

2024.5 Globetrotter 27
2021 F150 Powerboost Limited
kmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 08:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Wow! no speaker connection to the tv in new models?

Did I read this correctly? AS no longer includes speaker wires to the TV and built in stereo speakers? That "sounds" like somethings not right? What is the logic with that and how have folks adapted? Finding a bluetooth HD Smart TV at 28 or 32" is the answer? I found only a couple that had bluetooth for headphones...but your right, not hi-fidelity sound like an optical could provide.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-28-2024, 09:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
HDMI is the solution?

Could HDMI be used to connect the RGB (RCA) connectors from the AS radio unit to the TV somehow? Anyone have better solution to using the existing speakers with your TV?
Old 05-28-2024, 10:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Could HDMI be used to connect the RGB (RCA) connectors from the AS radio unit to the TV somehow? Anyone have better solution to using the existing speakers with your TV?
The better solution seems to be to just get a sound bar to attach to the TV.

Many people have said the OEM speakers from Airstream aren't that great anyway (I don't have experience with the new trailers).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
The better solution seems to be to just get a sound bar to attach to the TV.

Many people have said the OEM speakers from Airstream aren't that great anyway (I don't have experience with the new trailers).
I thought the speakers were always pretty good with the subwoofers active over the years 2006 thru our currant 2017 28'. But I too, went with the Bose Series 2 sound bar, as my "32" new Smart Samsung did not drive the RCA connectors to the speakers. Works great; looks great, and happy with that. Still, wonder why AS stopped including speaker connections to the living area tv.
Old 06-02-2024, 09:22 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Castro Valley , CA
I would check to see if you can install wireless speakers around and get a sound bar with wireless capabilities that attaches to the TV.
59Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 08:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Panman View Post
I would check to see if you can install wireless speakers around and get a sound bar with wireless capabilities that attaches to the TV.
I have the Bose Series 2 soundbar...very good sound. Just would be nice to get the rear speakers set up on it. I will take apart again when I get to WY and have some time. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Olive Branch , Mississippi
I think the intent is that you use an apple tv, roku, or similar device in the media cabinet. If you do that, the audio routes directly to the stereo speakers/sub while the video routes to the tv(s). Smart TVs are a bit different in that they have many of those apps built in so that you don't need an separate box. And if you want to use it in that fashion, the smart tv has bluetooth to push the audio back to the stereo. I'm not a fan due to the audio sync, but it would work. On my 24, I will use an apple tv or Nvidia shield to push the video to both tvs and the audio to the stereo. I think it works much, much better that way. This also gives you the ability to stream the same thing to both TVs which is also advantageous. Roku's are pretty cheap.

If the TV supports the ARC portion of HDMI, then that would allow the audio to be pushed back to the stereo over HDMI rather than an individual set of cables. I haven't tried this either, but will soon.
os1r1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 02:30 PM   #11
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
12v TV...

When we picked up ours last year, the orientation tech told us if we wanted to upgrade the TV, be sure to get a 12v unit as that's what the installed TV was. We have Samsung's in our home and remember seeing Samsung's in the new AS's a few years back. I can't even remember the brand in ours...never heard of it before. That said, we just hook up an iPad to the HDMI input and watch our shows etc. Sound is fine from the TV and not routed thru the trailers sound system. It's not a theater experience, but fine for our purposes when on the road.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteePlus View Post
When we picked up ours last year, the orientation tech told us if we wanted to upgrade the TV, be sure to get a 12v unit as that's what the installed TV was. We have Samsung's in our home and remember seeing Samsung's in the new AS's a few years back. I can't even remember the brand in ours...never heard of it before. That said, we just hook up an iPad to the HDMI input and watch our shows etc. Sound is fine from the TV and not routed thru the trailers sound system. It's not a theater experience, but fine for our purposes when on the road.
The Bose Series 2 sound bar is on sale at Costco for $149 in my Georgetown, TX store last week thru July. Thats what I am using now...great sound for the money.

When I looked on line just now, Costco has it at $179on sale $20 bucks off...not sure why it's $179 on line and $149 at the store??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bose soundbar.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	444090