Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
Houston , Texas
Need stereo upgrade advice???

Want to upgrade my stereo, but not lose any current functionality. The head unit is a Sony, has DVD and multizone functionality. I would like to get HD radio and iPod/mp3/USB functionality. The stock unit is in a 2008 International. Any advice appreciated. A simple "pull and replace" would be great. Which unit, brand, model etc? Thanks.
samiam8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I don't personally buy anything Sony any more, but you might look to see if Sony has what you're looking for. The chances of plug and play would be much better...
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I hear ya about Sony...especially disappointing since I used to be an exclusive Sony fan... I'de buy Vizio if they made stereos...
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Not sure of the size of the stock stereo in your Airstream, but I assume it is a single DIN style. You should get a look at WWW.CRUTCHFIELD.COM They have just about anything you could possibly need for your home car or trailer.
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Thanks Argosy Heir. I should have mentioned single DIN; just assumed that was stock size. Was hoping to get a "here's what you should do" kinda recommendation. I'll check the Crutchfield site, it's been a long time since I've been on it, thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you want the DVD/TV play through capability, there isn't a lot available that doesn't have the pop out DVD screen. Check out Jensen, they still make single din units with DVD player.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam8888 View Post
I hear ya about Sony...especially disappointing since I used to be an exclusive Sony fan... I'de buy Vizio if they made stereos...
I was a Sony fan back when, too. Then I bought a Sony Dash. Now I wouldn't give my worst enemy's dog a Sony rubber bone.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Unless you want to start down a significant upgrade path, your options are limited. Number one, as previously mentioned, there are very few options for upgraded functionality without a video touchscreen in a single DIN configuration. Outside of the Airstream community, there is little demand for this type of unit.

I upgraded my system--it was costly but made a BIG difference in sound. My head unit is upgraded---my recommendation for a high end unit would either be a Pioneer or Kenwood Excelon series. Once you upgrade your head unit, you are likely going to want an upgraded external amplifier (the on board power of the stock unit is its biggest limitation). This then leads to a power issue---there is not enough local power in the upper cabinet stock head unit location. I solved this by having power cables discreetly run down a curtain line to the storage cabinet under the bench seat---which has an audio grade AC to DC converter in addition to a separate sealed AGM battery to act as a 'capacitor' of sorts for the amplifier. Unless you are experienced, I would not undertake this project on your own. Installation is key to a well designed system and most run of the mill car stereo installers are not going to be able to think the issues through the way you want. I would imagine that Houston has some respected installers though.

If you don't want to do all of that, I would suggest you leave things as is. The stock head unit is OK for what it does. Nominal speaker upgrades may be reasonable, but any high end speaker is going to require clean power (more than what's available without a separate amplifier).
random 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Sounds like a nice (but "complicated") upgrade and job!

Probably a little more than I can/should bite off right now. Truth be told, I used to get pretty carried away with the audio and video upgrades etc, but now, I think...I have just gotten too old...

So, what I was really after was a way to get off air HD radio and to use any sort of mp3 type player. If I could "just" add those functions to the existing system with it's current functions, like multi zone audio (and with out all kinds of ugly wires etc...), then I'de be happy (for now).

Sounds like I might have a shot at it with the Jensen unit, but who knows. I'll keep looking around. I spoke to the gang in Jackson Center, and they reminded me the 2013 models have a really nice head unit stereo, but does not play DVD, since they have a separate BluRay player now. That install is also complicated with the HDMI wires etc...

Search continues...

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam8888 View Post
So, what I was really after was a way to get off air HD radio and to use any sort of mp3 type player...
Check out the JVC Arsenal KD-AHD79 at Crutchfield. I just installed one in my 1983 Excella. (Yes, I went over-the-top in the installation. I need to do a thread about that.) However, the unit is a straightforward install. It has a built-in HD Radio tuner, is iPhone compatible, has aux inputs on the front and the back, has a remote that works well, and Crutchfield has them marked down $50 to $129.

I ran my TV sound into the rear aux (labeled Bluetooth in the onscreen menu), and it sounds great.

It's doesn't have a DVD, though, just CD. Wasn't an issue for me because I am thinking about a Blu-Ray player. For DVDs, I play them on my Mac Mini which is hooked to the TV for a monitor. It doesn't have to be 12v for the player because the TV won't be on without 120vac anyway.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I use my Sony unit for a music cd,radio only.
I hooked up a Playstation 3 slim direct to the tv for blue ray enjoyment.It fits vertically between my wall and the dining booth back on the floor.Also added a thin sound bar below the tv.

The stock Airstream sub and speakers are sub standard at best and the factory sony head unit is way to time consuming to use,Who was the engineer who designed this thing and what was he smoking???

Also upgraded factory lcd junk tv for a 32inch 1080p led with built in wifi and blue tooth this made a world of difference.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
samiam,

The Sony head unit in my trailer died about two weeks ago... It is a CD/DVD combo. Sony has a similar unit, the MEX-DV1700U.

I'm not sure if I want to replace the combo unit, or have a stand alone DVD/BluRay player. My trailer does not have 120v in the locker or HDMI from the radio area to the tv. Any other ideas?
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Good read as I'm thinking of updating my A track playing in my 1968 AS. But then again it does have the cool factor, and the radio still works.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
you may already have usb

It is very likely your headunit has Sony Bus which gives you options.

I discovered that our 2006 does have USB inputs via the Sony XA-300 auxiliary input adapter. Airstream hid the XA-300 for some reason. I posted a long time ago about it here.

You can check if you have the XA-300. If not, you can probably add it by checking the compatibility page.

If you have the XA-300 Aux input adapter, or add one, then you could look at adding the Sony HD radio tuner. Check compatibility.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

I have a 2004 Safari and upgraded my radio. The original Sony was obsolete and no satellite radio module was available. I wanted Sirius radio.
Any of the automotive radios will fit in the space and hook up to the speakers. I have the basic model Safari with 4 Sony speakers.
I went with a JVC because that is what the installer in the small town where I live sells. I think picking the installer is more important than picking the radio because all the quality radios have similar performance.
Cost was $149 for the radio and $129 for the Sirius radio. Installation took 2 men 3 1/2 hours and was $500. A very handy do it yourselfer could do the job. There are loots of wires to hook up. It does involve drilling a hole in the skin for the satellite antenna. The antenna is small the installation is clean.
Like all the newer radios, this one has a plug for an Ipod.
Rewiring for more and bigger speakers, woofers ect would be very difficult in an Airstream.
I am pleased with the result. We often camp where no tv and only gospel or country music is available on the radio so the Sirius is welcome.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Our Sony head unit has mp3 / USB inputs and even a place to store an ipod. It is not worth it to us to expend a geat deal of cash for audio in the AS as it will still sound like a band in a can - with all of the metallic reflective surfaces. We have electrostatic speakers, Sun & Carver power amps, BK pre, and real subs for actual 5 or 6.1 listening at home. No AS audio upgrade would come even close! Unless you have truly "young" ears / hearing and can appreciate the upgrades, I would suggest rethinking spending extra $$$ on the diminishing improvement to the current system. I agree that the Sony is a horror to operate - especially if you only have seasonal use of the TT - I simply forget the "how - to" over the off season. It is not user frinedly.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

It would be difficult, but it's not impossible. There are specific challenges, but all of them can be overcome--And once done, it actually has the potential to sound better than most high end home systems precisely because it is a closed environment.

Specific to this type of application, other than the 'usual' things already mentioned, the keys are:
1. Mounting speakers in a front firing position rather than straight down. Or better yet, permanently mount high quality small bookshelf speakers (I did this in the bedroom on the nightstands--they can act as a stable stand if done right)
2. Use of a DSP processor---current high end is something like Audison (it equalizes for the environment and adjusts for your specific speaker type---It makes a HUGE difference once it's dialed in) The signal is taken from the head unit, processed and then sent to your amplifier for output to your speakers.
3. Upgrading the subwoofer to a high end powered compact home version (something like a compact REL, that can be integrated with the other speakers) This will, however require shore/generator power.
4. Strategic sound deadening with window coverings, etc.
5. Use of non-compressed music

Set it up right and you can have a whole different type of relaxation experience camping (I actually sometimes enjoy it more than my home system---like you, I have a high end home system). You will also be very popular tailgating.

You will probably still have the problem of your wife making you turn it down!
random 17 is offline   Reply With Quote