Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2006, 11:38 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Go Tivoli

Very happy with My Tivoli with Sirius and iPod hookups. It has AMAZING sound. They have some cool portable units too -- might be more durable than the walnut box for camping.

Sirius is awfully nice to have out in the wilderness or in the car for long drives where radio leaves a lot to be desired.

Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:55 PM   #22
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
Ipod blows 'em all away. And I'm a stereo freak
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
yes, philips is only 110. no luck while boondocking
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Question

Now I am faced with more choices, never realized some of the options. I got a look at a Tivoli Model one . I like the size and 12v option. Unfortunately I did not get to hear its sound. If you want stereo sound do you have to get a Model two?

I'm not sure if I get the Tivoli , what to hook into for playing CDs. Not being the most " electronic literate" I am not real familiar with the I-pod technology. How do I get my CDs loaded into an I-pod if I go that route ? As you can see I truly am trapped in the '60s when I have questions like that. Have to admit the Tivoli has the right look for Airstream.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #25
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Your CD music collection is downloaded to the iPod on your computer with iTunes. A free Apple application which you download right off the web. Works with either Mac or PC. Personally, my Mac has become the home stereo system by creating playlists within iTunes which are also transferable to the iPod. You'll find it extremely easy and wonder how you did without it for so long.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #26
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air

I'm not sure if I get the Tivoli , what to hook into for playing CDs.
If you don't want to go the ipod route, Tivoli also offers a cd player. It will take up considerably more room, though.

If you don't have a tv yet, you might also consider a tv/dvd/cd combo. Ours is a Toshiba, folds up like a laptop, and we use that if we want to play a cd. It hooks into our Tivoli system for bigger sound, too.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Sounds like we've come full circle..I have a cd/player..and a Toshiba 13'/combo vhs tape player..also have a Toshiba 13"/combo cd/player that I can use in the Safari..either would work!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Went with Tivoli

hi- well the Tivoli model 2 with sub-woofer showed up yesterday, from Amazon, I went this route after being assured it would work on 12V as well as 110. I took it all out to the coach, plugged it all in- and WOW! It does have amazing sound for such a small unit, and is very easy to plug a portable CD player, or MP3 player, into it. The FM receiver is sensitive and easy to fine-tune, with a simple rotary dial. I noticed that the On/Off/Standby light on the sub-woofer did not work, and that, combined with the fact that the model 2 sounds great without the sub turned on, and the additional tangle of wires, will have me sending the sub back for a refund. So my advice would be: Get the model 2, and skip the sub-woofer for such a small space as a travel trailer. And no, I didn't just listen to NPR- I cranked "The Donnas" on CD and that coach was Rockin'!! Good tip on the Tivoli- thanks all! -tim P.S. in the pic, the beer can is for scale only....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	116-1618_IMG.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	25751  
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #29
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
P.S. in the pic, the beer can is for scale only....
Riiiiiight! Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the subwoofer, but glad you're happy with the new Tivoli! Very cool.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Klipsch ifi

I would get the Klipsch ifi at Costco for $199.00. It totally blows away the Cambridge and Bose, both of which are overated. The ifi has a separate sub and two satellite speakers small enough for an AS. I would suggest checking it out. Trust me
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Cambridge Soundworks

very compact. powerful and perfect for plugging into an Ipod. Almost invisible.

The stands for the satellite speakers conveniently slide into the seams between panels, can be pointed directionally to reflect off of curved areas and will turn any airstream into an expansive concert hall.

perfect solution.
yochanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
playlistmag.com

This website has lots of info about audio systems. The comparative reviews are especially interesting. Here's a link to one comparing some of the newer iPod speaker systems:

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2006/...php?lsrc=plrss

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I checked this system out last week. It's compact, and sounded great.

http://tinyurl.com/nn85x
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Tivoli two

A friend has a Tivoli and I liked the sound. Did a google search and this thread came to the surface pronto. Looks like a good recomendation for the Tivoli, and I like the 12V option. Unfortunatly Tivoli doubled the price on everything at the first of the year. Ok check out eBay and find one that had been painted white by the PO using a brush. Ugh! Got it for a decent price because of the paint. When it arrived I plugged it in and it checked out fine. Screw driver out, remove the innards, scrape the offending white paint off along with the factory applied black. Underneath is curly oak. Five coats of tung oil, reassemble and it looks and sounds great. Next test out to the Minuet. Oops, no AM reception inside, FM is just fine. Didn't think about the Al skin makeing a Faraday cage of sorts. Not a problem, the Tivoli works just fine on my book case in the office.

Now the question, has anyone solved the problem of AM reception using the Tivoli in their Airstream? I can see more of these little gems in my future if I can find them at the right price.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
I am trying to decide on a sound system for my Globetrotter . I have thought about installing a car system but am short on space and do not want to deal with hanging speakers and more wiring/antenna issues.

So I am looking for something portable that we can just carry in a drawer and play when 120v is available. We have a couple of Bose Wave radios in the house that have great sound but are pricey and I'm not sure how they travel. I know there are plenty of "boom boxes" available but I don't want something the size of a suitcase yet I want great sound and AM/FM. Not interested in i-Pod systems. Any brand name/model suggestions
Take a look at this system: Sony DAV-IS10 5.1-Channel Micro Satellite Home Theater System

Amazon.com: Sony DAV-IS10 5.1-Channel Micro Satellite Home Theater System with TDM-IP1 iPod Cradle: Electronics
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce
Now the question, has anyone solved the problem of AM reception using the Tivoli in their Airstream? I can see more of these little gems in my future if I can find them at the right price.
You can run an AM lead outside your trailer, I ran ours out the base of a window.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
You can run an AM lead outside your trailer, I ran ours out the base of a window.
Terry,

Did you remove the back to get access to the AM antenna? I was under the impression the exterior antenna hook up was only for FM.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
Take a look at this system: Sony DAV-IS10 5.1-Channel Micro Satellite Home Theater System

Amazon.com: Sony DAV-IS10 5.1-Channel Micro Satellite Home Theater System with TDM-IP1 iPod Cradle: Electronics

Pretty incredible!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #39
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce
Terry,

Did you remove the back to get access to the AM antenna? I was under the impression the exterior antenna hook up was only for FM.
That is correct. The AM antenna looks like the old-style winding like you would find in a very old transistor radio. They don't seem to exert a lot of effort on what they consider outmoded technology.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
I am reviving this old post as I am considering the Tivoli model two for my Caravel. I was originally thinking of installing a car head unit, but I really like the Tivoli better. I have an outside antenna installed with the lead running inside. The question I have is how to hook up that lead to the Tivoli. The back of the Tivoli looks to be RG59 connector and the antenna has the male car audio connector. I can't find any converters. Is there a way to make this work? I haven't bought the Tivoli yet, as I want to find out if this will work. Maybe the supplied antenna is enough, but the outside antenna is there and I would like to use if it is possible. Anybody know?