Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Mystery wires behind stereo

Hi all, I pulled my my radio enclosure on my 04 Bambi, with Sony head unit but without A/V package, and behind it I found three different RCA wire combos coming from the frame with all of the other power and speaker wires. I have two Left/Right Wires, and one Left/Right/Video.

Where do they terminate in the trailer? I pulled off the two cable outlet plug at the rear bed and dug around in the wall, but no cables spotted.

I have attached a picture of the cables.
Attached Images

Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Westfalia,

They are the pre-wireing for the A/V upgrade. Audio, video, and sub wires. If you unscrew the platform the bed is on, (screws inside the coach under the matress and under the platform accessable thru the rear trunk) you will find where some of the RCA cables terminate. This is also the compartment that the water heater is in.

If you look in the RS compartment under the dinette, between your water pump and freash water, I believe the sub woofer cables are there....

This is how it was on my '05 CCD...

Rgds

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Thanks for the input! I'll pull the base for the bed today and see what I find. I know that the wires for the sub are not in the water tank area as I was doing extensive work in there yesterday, and did not see them. However, I do remember seeing a sub place under the right side bench on a showroom model withe the upgrade, and I do have a black cover, looks like a wiring cover) in exactly that area, so I'll pull that and see what I find!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

No wires under the bed, although I did find a good deal of wasted space near the water heater that could be used for storage.

I looked everywhere I could around the wheel arch, including back under the fridge, no wires. I have absolutely no idea.

Still needing to look up front.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I was able to look up front, forward of slide out drawer under the right seat. I found power, ground, remote, and a L/R RCA cable. Score! Maybe I'll install a Basooka Tube sub behind the seat.

Now to find the other two. Is there a possibility that it is installed between the trim pieces where the rear TV would mount?
Old 08-14-2005, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

TTT. Still trying to find information regarding the wires for the TV wiring. Is there a possibility that the wires are hidden in the wall behind the coax outlet at the rear bed? I have pull the switch covers, but, I haven't found anything yet.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Followup:

OK, so I pulled off all of the plugs, including the 120V, out and off of the wall by the rear bed. Low and behold, behind the 120V plug that I didn't remove last time, there were the two wire sets: audio return and A/V supply from the front stereo. I plugged the audio cable into my LCD TV audio out, and then into my add-on XA-300 AUX adapter on the Sony stereo. Works like a charm and I have TV audio through the stereo!

The audio wires were wrapped helplessly around the 120V wires a few times, which is a BAD idea, as you can get inductive current flow, not to mention line noise. By unwrapping them, I was able to free up a few inches, and I will hopefully get a slightly cleaner signal. I moved their location down to the bottom cable outlet. I'll likely eliminate the cable/SAT bypass loop and plate, and make a plate specifically for the A/V cables with terminating female connectors.

Thanks for the help Bambi Bandit! Hopefully, this brief thread will serve as a guide for others that are wanting to upgrade their standard audio system by using hidden wires that Airstream (thankfully) added to most newer trailers during construction.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

I almost forgot to post some obligatory pictures.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Well I'll be darned

Funny yours was wrapped behind the AC... Mine was under the bed, but I think having there at the AC plug is better, so that you can pull it to the TV easier. I think I would have had to "fish" behind the wall and pull up the ends.

Now I've got to figure out where they are in my 28', and how I'm gonna wire that one...

UUgh.. too hot in TX to work on it now. Will wait till it get cooler.

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Chris,

I just read where your CCD is pre-wired, and you found the cables. That's fantastic, as you won't have to conceal any wiring. If I recall, the fuse panel in mine has a circuit/fuse for the subwoofer.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

We'll have this puppy fully wired for surround sound and video in no time at all. We don't need no stinkin' drive in movie theater.

The sub will probably be the last part of the equation. I added some sound deadening in the cabinet housing the front speakers, and it took away a lot of the boominess. I will eventually install some better speakers at some point, further enhancing the bass.

Thanks for all the help SilverRanger!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Wires

You know i looked behind my stereo and found three sets of RCA wires also.I tried to see if they ended in the plugs but i did not see them.I will try and look again and mabey under the bed.Hopefully i will find them.Seems like this will be one modded out Airstream when i get done with it..
The cool part is that i can use my ipod in the car then transfer it to the Airstream.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:42 PM   #13
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Wired for sound...

I'm likin' the direction of this thread... have a 30' Classic that is wired with the standard Sony CD, AM-FM etc., etc.. Been told the wiring for the sub is beside the couch behind the breakers.The 4 speaker set-up (2 in the galley, 2 in the bedroom) leaves a lot to be desired for anything more than the weather channel... Do understand that the config is different between the Classic & CCD - had an International A/S before this one and it was set up pretty well... this one's a bit more,... peculiar.

What are y'all using for amping and speakers? Certainly not the standard equipment, right? Bi-amping your setup? What about insulation and sound outside your A/S? Doing external jacks (RCA or 1/4"?). Bambi bandit - understand your reluctance to work on the project dureing the summer here...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Sounds like each model is different because of the layout. Anyone with a new 34' with the audio upgrade that can tell me where the sub is located on the AV upgrade option. It'll give me an idea where to start looking for wires. I have only the standard Sony CD player.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #15
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Stereo

Mine is under the arm rest on the street side.But this is for the 2005 25'ss.
Would anyone know exactly where the rca hookupare for my Television.I was told that it could be where the fridge is and I will have to remove it to get to it.I am really hoping that it will be easier to get it than digging into the fridge area.Thanks All.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:32 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari
The Woodlands , Texas
Greetings Everyone,

I have found this thread to be most interesting...
We just picked up our new 2007 Bambi 19' last Friday. I am hoping to install a DVD / Flat Panel later on. What type of equipment (aftermarket) is out there for use in this application ? Is there a wiring diagram that possibly exists for us Do-it-yourselfers ??
64Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seattle , Washington
Located my subs under left armrest, rca in front bulkhead along with video, though I can't find video termination. Haven't found back bedroom but not looking very hard -- very happy that I will now be able to use my monitor from laptop at front bulkhead and run sound back to the head-unit..I'll probably just make a little mini plug line-in connector on front bulkhead. Now I can leave the stock head-unit alone and put the little bit of av budget toward some not so crappy speakers and perhaps an amp/sub.
jmd5602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
Mine is under the arm rest on the street side.But this is for the 2005 25'ss.
Would anyone know exactly where the rca hookupare for my Television.I was told that it could be where the fridge is and I will have to remove it to get to it.I am really hoping that it will be easier to get it than digging into the fridge area.Thanks All.
Hi, mine is the same as yours, but my question is: Does this connect the television to the radio for the purpose of useing the radio speakers for the television? I thought these wires were for a bass speaker in the arm rest and for the 10 disc CD changer. [which I don't have]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #19
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Somehow, found this thread again... starting reading from the top and realized I'd been here before... When looking at the audio/AV stuff I could add... I called Dave Schumann at Airstream and asked where the wiring was for my unit - not a problem. He told me where things began and ended so I could add to as needed. Most things are prewired for the dealership to add extras... Airstream obliges. Call 'em up!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, mine is the same as yours, but my question is: Does this connect the television to the radio for the purpose of useing the radio speakers for the television? I thought these wires were for a bass speaker in the arm rest and for the 10 disc CD changer. [which I don't have]
It doesn't connect anything to anything at the moment afaict. Its just a set of RCA plugs between the head unit and various places which allows you to connect componenets without having to run the wire. I'm not even sure what the original intent was as I haven't seen the av setup but in my case I'm going to connect my video source (laptop) audio out to the RCAs and then connect those as source to my headunit. Unfortunatly, the stock sony headunit apparantly doesn't take regular aux in, so I have to get this box to do that:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zdEk1xO...900&I=158XA300

Found it at a sony outlet for $59..has a USB in as well which might be useful.
jmd5602 is offline   Reply With Quote