Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Long Beach , California
Minimax in place of TV antenna?

I have a 08 safari sport and am thinking about adding sat TV via wineguard minimax. Can I just remove my existing antenna and mount it there?
bcripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
You could, but even though I have a Dish account, I still get all my local channels over the air via my old Braund Skyliner. Dish's Little Rock channels are not HD yet but the assured me that they will be very soon, three years ago.

When you travel, with sat you would have no ability to pickup local channels at all without an antenna of some kind. I have seen over-the-air add ons, so that is an option, but I can't believe that they would match the performance of a real antenna. More like one of those little things designed to set on top of your (or mom and dad's) TV.

Another consideration is your radio. In my Excella the Skyliner is also the radio antenna. There is a splitter in the wall where I connect to the TV that sends the radio signal out through the wall, out of site. It is part of the 12v outlet/antenna outlet combo on the wall. Keep this under consideration too.

Let us know what you decide and how it works.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I would definitely leave the existing antenna. There are advantages to having both capabilities. Completely agree with Vaughan.

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't know about minimax but my regular Winegard Sensar fit right in the hole.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The difference is that the MiniMax is a satellite dish, not a TV antenna. The Sensar is a modern TV antenna, and what I would use if I had to replace one of my Skyliners for any reason.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Smile currentley no antenna at all!

I currently do not have any antenna at all. I made a make-shift pole for the front of the trailer with a pair of rabbit ears. They actually worked quite well while they lasted. The rain just does the strangest things to the little booster that was in the rabbit ears, which of course were not intended to be in the rain. I like the smallness of the ears and storage was easy.

I have looked at new possibilities, so group lets have your ideas. I don't want any type of dish.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote