Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Location of Antenna Coupler/Splitter in 1991 34' Limited

I'm doing a lot of work on floor repair and leak repair/prevention on my trailer. Part of the leak prevention is to remove the Braund Skyliner antenna (which I've done) and the coax feed through connector and re-caulk and reinstall everything. I'll rebuild/refurbish the Skyliner as necessary and I'm replacing the exterior coax, balun (300 ohm to 75 ohm impedance matching transformer) along with some other components. As an aside, I found that when I removed the feed through connector and removed the coax from the bottom side, the center conductor was broken off completely, so there was no way that this could have worked in that condition.

Here's my real question. I'm planning to replace the existing TV RF amplifier (located in the wall with a 12VDC output for a small TV with a Winegard Sensar Pro amplifier and RF signal strength indicator. This unit includes a antenna coupler/splitter in the design and I need to remove the antenna coupler that Airstream says is included in my trailer. This coupler combines the signal from the Skyliner antenna and the signal from the external cable hookup jack that is located back in compartment where the 30A 110V electrical is stored. I can't find the coupler. I have removed the old RF amp from the wall and also have the lower inner skin removed below this unit and I can feel up the wall a ways, but I still can't find it. I called Airstream Customer Service and was told that it would/should be directly behind the current amplifier. My next step will be to start removing an upper cabinet and more interior skin. I don't want to do this as I'm ready to put things back together, not take more stuff apart. Please help this boy!!!

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Also, in addition to and in conjunction with the question above, I'm wondering about the need to have an external cable input. I mostly do boondocking type camping or camp in national or state parks. Alternately, an external Wi-Fi antenna might be more valuable. What do you think? Is it even worth worrying about the external cable input?

Steve
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the splitter in my '94 was in the wall behind the amp. if you pull out some of the wires back there it should be there. i had a street side dinette.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Ricky,
I've checked behind the amplifier and with the lower inner skin, I can feel above the cutout (forward rectangular cutout on the left side beneath cabinet, see photo). I think that mine is located in a non-standard location and I'll probably end up removing at least one upper cabinet).

Thanks,

Steve

Old 05-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
there is a tv jack in the upper cabinet. just pull that cover. there should be a line that goes down to the amp. location. in the 94 there was a lot of cable stuffed behind the amp. some wires were short but i think i remember the splitter line being on about a foot of cable.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Ricky,
Thanks for your feedback. I went as far as removing the forward left cabinet and had my friend hold the top inner skin while I followed the single coax up the wall to where it starts to bend back to become the ceiling and no splitter. Then, I took the nearest light out of the ceiling and there was no splitter. So, I've decided to just replace the old RG59 coax with RG6. I'll fish a new coax from the antenna feed through down to the bottom of the skin and I'll run a new coax from the cable input jack along the left wall since I have all of the lower interior skin panels out.

I'm also currently rebuilding my Braun Skyliner Antenna. I'll include some pictures of this process.

Steve
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Here are some pictures of the old amplifier/cable jack/12 VDC power source that I'm replacing.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Here is a picture of the Winegard RFL-342 that I've ordered to replace it.