Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Andover , Minnesota
Question LG TV — upgrade

We purchased a used 2019 Bambi Sport. The previous owners did not keep tabs on the two remotes - either for the tv or the JVC unit. Pretty frustrating that we don’t have originals. If we were to replace and upgrade the tv and/or the JVC unit to hopefully make them smart and work together, what would anyone recommend? Is LG the way to go again - does it matter from the travel perspective of being jiggled around? Any experts on this topic? Ideas and suggestions are welcomed.
PEHennek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Heya!

You can get remotes on eBay or Amazon pretty cheap - maybe $10 bucks. No biggie to replace if you want to keep the TV you have.

If you want to upgrade the TV I like Samsung smart HD or 4K TVs - built in Netflix, YouTube, Apple TV, free streaming TV, etc...

LG has a similar offering too I’m sure.

I’d highly recommend pairing with a basic sound bar while you are at it. I had room on the wall in my 30’ and did a 32” with sound bar below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	395446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	531.7 KB
ID:	395447  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Smithville , Tn
I tossed the pitiful little LG straightaway and replaced it with a 32” smart tv for $140. The sound and pic of the OEM tv was very low quality.
Bhmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Andover , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhmack View Post
I tossed the pitiful little LG straightaway and replaced it with a 32” smart tv for $140. The sound and pic of the OEM tv was very low quality.
�� I honestly LOVE this answer. And here you have a new unit! I too am inclined to just stop the hunt on how to make this work. On principle my husband wants the dealer to resolve but I just want peace and tranquillity. I’m totally on board with your decision. Thanks!
PEHennek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #5

2018 22' Sport
Costa Mesa , California
In the same situation

I bought a used 2018 Sport. Same thing. I just bought a universal remote. My question is: does the tv only work on shore/generator power? Did anyone make any modifications to change this?
vimatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
I realize this is an old thread but would like to add my experience. We have a 2020 28’ Flying Cloud. In my opinion, the cheap electronics that Airstream provides in these expensive trailers is shameful. Also Airstream makes no effort to properly integrate the electronics into an entertainment system, which would be so inexpensive and easy to do.

For example, when watching a DVD (or BluRay) sound comes out of the cheap tv speakers instead of the better (but still mediocre) stereo system. It turns out the JL radio doesn’t have an HDMI input. It does have an AUX input (RCA type connectors) but the BluRay player does not have a separate audio out.
I solved this by replacing the existing BluRay with a new one that has the analog audio out in addition to the HDMI. Cheap over Amazon. The Aux input cables were already in the cabinet and labeled.

So easy to do but Airstream didn’t see fit to do it.

I also replaced the original tv with a Samsung QLED 32” smart tv. So much better. Next step will be to pair the smart tv with the JL Radio via Bluetooth to get sound through the stereo system when watching over the air or cable tv.

I also noticed that the paired devices list in the JL radio contained a number of devices that aren’t mine, leading me to believe I didn’t even get a new unit in my expensive new trailer. Shameful.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
On the other hand...

...as a shameless technophile, i agree with the "suboptimal" array of tech shipped in these units. Some day I will upgrade parts and pieces toward a cohesive and more optimal whole.

For now, I try not to use the tech much at all. For me and many glampers, the escape from the one-eyed attention sucker is part of the attraction of our style of getting away from it most (not all).

At the least, i agree AS could develop and market a high-end optimized tech package for those that want to take it all with them. In some respects, the higher trim level units with projector TVs and automated shades, etc., are evidence of that approach, if not always well executed.

But imagine the dilemma facing the mfgr of units in which a large number of purchasers really don't care about the tech all that much. You could say that a Ford F250 XLT is different than a Platinum, and both have their fans.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
...as a shameless technophile, i agree with the "suboptimal" array of tech shipped in these units. Some day I will upgrade parts and pieces toward a cohesive and more optimal whole.

For now, I try not to use the tech much at all. For me and many glampers, the escape from the one-eyed attention sucker is part of the attraction of our style of getting away from it most (not all).

At the least, i agree AS could develop and market a high-end optimized tech package for those that want to take it all with them. In some respects, the higher trim level units with projector TVs and automated shades, etc., are evidence of that approach, if not always well executed.

But imagine the dilemma facing the mfgr of units in which a large number of purchasers really don't care about the tech all that much. You could say that a Ford F250 XLT is different than a Platinum, and both have their fans.
We, too, go camping to enjoy the sights, etc and don’t sit around all day watching tv. However on a rainy evening it’s nice to be able to use the amenities inside the trailer, especially on a real long trip.

If most of Airstream owners didn’t give a rip about the electronics, they wouldn’t offer it at all. Have you seen the electronics in the Classic or the Atlas? But in the Flying Cloud they don’t even bother to make basic connections.

The Ford XLT vs Platinum analogy is not really a good one here. There’s nothing ‘premium’ about simply sending the BluRay sound through the existing sound system. It’s more like ensuring proper function.

I think the lack of thought put into the electronics reveals a sub par attitude on Airstreams part toward customers of a Premium rv product.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote